lmstearn
Level 6: Bloodhound

IMAP Server Not Accepting New Password.

Answered

Hi there,

Changing the Telstra Password was done successfully along with the router password.

Not so great with the IMAP password through WLM 2012.

Invalid user name or password

Configuration:
   Account: Mail.bigpond (username)
   Server: imap.telstra.com
   User name: username@bigpond.com
   Protocol: IMAP
   Port: 993
   Secure(SSL): 1
   Code: 800cccd1

Webmail functions great. Got this email: 

We're pleased to confirm your Telstra ID password has been reset as requested.

If your Telstra ID username is a BigPond email address, resetting could affect your modem and email. You can update your modem password in your modem settings. In addition, if you have a third-party email client such as Outlook or Windows Mail, you can use these instructions to update your details.

See you online soon,

Fiona Hayes
Head of Consumer Service and Contact Centres

But the links in the post are for outdated versions of WLM. Putting the new password (or even the old password!) in WLM doesn't work, neither does removing the account and creating another similar.

Does anyone know why WLM doesn't read the new IMAP password?

Thanks.

Crowd Support? What about support for the masses?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
lmstearn
Accepted Solution

Re: IMAP Server Not Accepting New Password.

Oh dear, the old username123 account issue popped up again. The input email username was wrong.

However lost all the old emails when binning the old account. Only the old account posts from Telstra were restored, so must be an issue with synchronising somewhere.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
lmstearn
Accepted Solution

Oh dear, the old username123 account issue popped up again. The input email username was wrong.

However lost all the old emails when binning the old account. Only the old account posts from Telstra were restored, so must be an issue with synchronising somewhere.

View solution in original post

lmstearn

Note to self- and others (Fiona Hayes if reading Smiley Happy )

When resetting the Telstra Password, also reset any secondary mailbox passwords at the accounts page without delay. There seems to be some kind of time-out for the IMAP password to the mailbox wherein old passwords and new passwords are unusable.

Ernest999
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thank you for sharing your insight Imstearn.
-Ern

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Rusty123456
Level 1: Cadet

I too have a very similar problem. telstra webmail login works. outlook.com login for same account works. IMAP or POP in outlook with telstra IMAP settings for same account won't accept the correct password.....keeps throwing password box up. when sending from outlook.com it says from : outlook_6B3FC7C2550D30E2@outlook.com as the sending address and the message gets delivered to the telstra webmail inbox but not the outlook.com inbox !! WTF...we just want to use the account in outlook...have spent several hours with different telstra support staff....they have no clue what has happened to this account....

Kenobi
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Rusty123456,

As of November 2016 Telstra is no longer using Outlook.com as a mail platform. These mailboxes were migrated over to the Telstra Mail platform.  Due to this you are still able to log into Outlook.com (login.live.com) with your details as well as send emails but will not be able to receive any incoming emails.

To access your mailbox online please use the following link email.telstra.com . If you are using an email client / program / app to access your emails then you will need to change the settings.

In most cases, this will be as simple as changing the incoming mail server from imap-mail.outlook.com to imap.telstra.com and the outgoing mail server from smtp-mail.outlook.com to smtp.telstra.com.  Those using POP instead of IMAP will change the incoming mail server from pop-mail.outlook.com to pop.telstra.com.

We recommend using port 465 for the outgoing mail server, however some users will find 587 will work best for them.

For more information please check out  https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/manage/moving-to-telstra-mailtm-and-how-it-effects...

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Rusty123456

Thanks Kenobi for responding however we are already using the correct settings for IMAP in outlook as you have suggested. Outlook the program, willl not accept the correct password ! on any outlook on any computer !!!!! I have been on the phone and remote access 7 times and finally they have admitted there is a problem with the account....can you follow up for me Kenobi ? that Chat reference number is 4296886459

Reddd

Having the same issue and have had it since last year. I can log into webmail at email.telstra.com and everything works fine on the browser. However, when I input the same login details into outlook or thunderbird it will not accept it. When I manually set up everything as stated on the support page, it fails at the test email stage. If I log into webmail, I receive the test emails that it just said failed...

Really annoying at this stage and I've tried everything it feels like. For some reason, it just will not let me use anything other than webmail.

cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

If the messages are being received in web mail then it is only the incoming server settings that are faulty.

Check incoming mail server settings are correct.

Telstra Mail Settings

IMAP

Incoming server details

• Incoming server address: imap.telstra.com
  • Incoming server port: 993
  • Encrypted connection: SSL

Also check incoming username is correct (name@bigpond.com, name@bigpond.net.au or name@telstra.com) and password is correct

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/set-up/imap-pop-and-smtp-information-for-manual-em...

marlie

I`m using Thunderbird email program and none of this is working can`t get my emails

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit