Crawdaddy
Level 1: Cadet

Inbound email getting lost...

Inbound email direct to my Bigpond.com email address works fine. BUT most of my email is addressed to name@mydomain.net. That means that it's 'sent' to a third party (VentraIP) who then 'redirect' it to my bigpond.com account.

Nothing has arrived via that route for about 24 hours. The third party support have explicitly tested it and wrote "I sent a 'Sample Email' and can see that is has correctly been forwarded onto your Bigpond email account. If you didn't receive this, Bigpond is likely blocking it"

Does anyone else have a similar problem?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Inbound email getting lost...

If Bigpond is blocking it, you should be receiving bounce messages in your VentraIP account.

Otherwise, have you checked your spam folder?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Crawdaddy

There is no VentraIP mailbox.  I have however passed on that comment to the excellent Support at VentraIP to see if it may have other implications and inferences.

I have of course checked all of the folders in my Bigpond.com email by logging in directly to my bigpond.com account (which is where I am logged in as I type.)

Jupiter

OK. I'm not sure where the bounce messages would end up on a redirect. It would either end up back at the sender, or in a default location set up by VentraIP. 

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Crawdaddy

I don't know what digital flaw caused this reply to be flagged as the "Accepted Solution" because that is most definitely NOT the case.

What turned out to be the case was the fact that my inbound email was arriving at the Bigpond mail server(s) from a site that had been flagged as a source of Spam.  Therefore, correctly, Bigpond was rejecting (see later) the email.

I had a very professional exchange with an obviously outstandingly competent person at Telstra who, I infer, cleared the issue later in the day.

The inbound email wasn't "rejected" but it was being held in the "store & forward" mechanism that has been part of the mechanism of Email Handling Agents since email first was developed in the 1980's - since when I have been using it.

My only "gripe" - very bad word, sorry, is that I found out about this the hard way when I realised I wasn't getting any email.  I do realise that there was/is no way Telstra could have informed me, and equally no way the blacklisted site could have informed me.    

Catch222021

Yep.  And I have had emails stored in my Outlook folders disappearing.  I took my laptop to my IT people and many people with bigpond accounts are having bizarre things happening with their emails.  Apparently Telstra is doing background work on bigpond and I'm not the only one having difficulties.  The annoying thing is - I am in dispute with a website builder and evidence of our correspondence has disappeared.  Trying to contact Telstra is absolutely useless at the moment so I just have to endure it.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit