AAAPT
Level 1: Cadet

Incoming & Outgoing Mail Server Settings

My Mum has just started having issues with her emails (outlook 2016) when sending and receiving mail from bigpond

Things were working fine and since Thursday, has been suddenly prompted for username/password credentials. She has definitely not changed any settings.

Is there are issue with bigpond mail?

Note, webmail is working. When I try to add her mail account onto my iPhone or my own PC, it will not allow it to be added.

thanks in advance

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Dowser
Level 20: Director

Re: Incoming & Outgoing Mail Server Settings

If your Mum can log into Webmail then the username and password are correct.

The recommended setup settings for email clients can be found at https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/set-up/imap-pop-and-smtp-information-for-manual-em...

NB: it states therein 

• IMAP is the recommended setting for Telstra Mail customers.
AAAPT

Thanks Dowser.

It appears that they are correct, however when trying to set up as a new account on a different device (using settings as you have pointed to), I receive a message saying that the user name or password for imap.telstra.com is incorrect.

I have made multiple calls to telstra and have been passed from department to department, with no solution in sight.

I considered deleting account from Microsoft and re-installing, but given issues I'm having with adding new account I don't think this will help.

Any other ideas?  This is an older bigpond account, so have tried both the imap settings and the bigpond settings for older accounts.

Thanks again

AAAPT

Resolved via phone with password reset (even though working for webmail). Thanks again

Dowser

I'm glad that it is now working.

I've heard previously that resetting the password can fix some issues, which is a bit strange because a successful log into WebMail makes one think that the password it correct.  Anyway, I will remember that. Smiley Happy

dodger231

i have had that window asking for user name and password 4 times in March, could not get any satisfaction so had to pay $200 to get a person to fix it until the last time when i said that is enough.  Now I can't retrieve or view a lot of stacked up emails

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit