CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Issues in sending email from Outlook using Telstra SMTP outgoing server,

Answered

Receive the following message when trying to send a test message - Send test email message: Cannot send the message. Verify the email address in your account properties. The server responded: 550 <> Sender rejected. OB500 I have had issues in sending emails from my Outlook client using my primary @Live.com.au email address / account for the last couple of weeks. No issues in receiving emails. I have deleted the @Live.com.au email account and re-added and am setting up as a pop3 account (using live pop settings) and trying to use telstra smtp settings. Hoping that someone can help. TIA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie
Accepted Solution

Re: Issues in sending email from Outlook using Telstra SMTP outgoing server,

I had the same problem sending through outlook with my secondary iinet account. The only solution that worked was to change the outgoing server from smtp.telstra.com to my iinet server and logged in with my iinet details. It shouldn't work but it did.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie
Accepted Solution

I had the same problem sending through outlook with my secondary iinet account. The only solution that worked was to change the outgoing server from smtp.telstra.com to my iinet server and logged in with my iinet details. It shouldn't work but it did.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

I always use the SMTP server of the provider for all my non Telstra email accounts (Gmail, Yahoo) and have never encountered any problem. As long as you don't use port 25 it should work.

Have you tried deleting the account and then letting outlook set it up automatically.

Highlighted

Thanks - received some assistance from another source which confirmed that the outgoing server did in fact need to be the settings linked to my live account.  Not sure what has changed as my account was quite happy with the Telstra settings up until a fortnight or so ago.

For those of you that have a live account as your primary email account - the settings should be as follows

pop3.live.com - incoming mail server

smtp-mail.outlook.com - outgoing mail server

tick outgoing server requires authentication

incoming port 995 - SSL/TLS ticked

outgoing port 587 - starttls for encrypted connection

Highlighted

Yep tried that - Outlook wanted to set it up with Exchange settings, when I was trying to set it up as a POP account

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit