Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Lost all emails in my inbox

Answered

I've just lost all the read emails I've had in my book inbox in outlook.  I did nothing to my email account they were all there earlier this afternoon (its only in just one of my email addresses other email addresses are ok) they've also disappeared from my iPhone & iPad - does anyone have any idea why.  I've definitely not changed any settings and have been using outlook for the past 4 months (previously used Thunderbird).  Hope someone can help thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe
Accepted Solution

Re: Lost all emails in my inbox

Hi, Narelle,

one thing I can suggest that I have been trying to do, is move anything important from the inbox immediately. I didn't seem to loose anything (that I know of) from folders, only from the inbox, sent and deleted. Im not sure if it is the same for you. I too left important stuff in the inbox to deal with later.

i don't dare leave anything in the inbox anymore. I see some people have had it happen more than once.

Dont expect any resolution.  I had only been using my iPhone to access at the time, which sends deleted to trash first. But apparently I must have accidentally  deleted them all, AND then accidentally deleted them from the trash, AND then accidentally deleted them from the deleted. That's according to Telstra. Apparently there are a lot of us that must be accident prone.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
41 REPLIES 41
Highlighted

Good luck
Had the same issue 27/12 and after spending weeks trying to work this out have just received a phone call from Telstra telling me my inbox must have been deleted from my end. BS!!!! I know it wasn't as no one else has access to my email, and even if I had it should have been in the deleted folder, and there is nothing in the deleted folder for the same time period 😡
Highlighted

HI Angela

It's gotta be a Telstra problem because same here, I did absolutely nothing, my emails were in my inbox one minute and then they disappeared (but only from 1 of my email addresses, I have several).  Seems very odd to me I know I didn't do anything to cause this and I see lots of people have had similar experiences.  They have also been removed from my iphone & ipad.  Not happy as I've kept these emails within my inbox for a reason.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Can you check if you have Outlook set to show All or only the Unread emails? This option is usually located at the top of the window but below the menu line as you can see in the below image.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Hi Shelly

My inbox is set to ALL.  I have nothing in my inbox older than 8/1/17 wherein I had heaps prior to this.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for confirming.

Can you advise the server settings that you have configured in your email programs on all devices? 

Example:

Incoming server: pop.telstra.com 

Port: 995

Outgoing server: smtp.telstra.com

Port: 465

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Hi, Narelle,

one thing I can suggest that I have been trying to do, is move anything important from the inbox immediately. I didn't seem to loose anything (that I know of) from folders, only from the inbox, sent and deleted. Im not sure if it is the same for you. I too left important stuff in the inbox to deal with later.

i don't dare leave anything in the inbox anymore. I see some people have had it happen more than once.

Dont expect any resolution.  I had only been using my iPhone to access at the time, which sends deleted to trash first. But apparently I must have accidentally  deleted them all, AND then accidentally deleted them from the trash, AND then accidentally deleted them from the deleted. That's according to Telstra. Apparently there are a lot of us that must be accident prone.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Has anyone had any luck with this? My inbox seems to automaticaly loose all of my emails in my inbox (and they are not going to deleted folders, infact they are no where to be found) each morning. I am moving important items out of my inbox immediatley but where have the 'lost' inbox itmes gone.  This issue is replicating on webmail and phone etc. I have not changed any settings. Besides moving them immediatley has anyone had this issue resolved or have a work around.  It's been happening for about 1 week.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

How many devices do you have configured to access this mailbox? Are any of them configured with POP settings instead of IMAP?

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/set-up/imap-pop-and-smtp-information-for-manual-em...

- Shelly

Highlighted

I have iphone, ipad and PC.  All are set up as IMAP.  My account was migrated back in September and was working fine until one week ago.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Have you also checked any older device/program settings to make sure that they are not still configured with your mail settings for POP? Have you changed your BigPond email password since the migration?

- Shelly

Highlighted

I have just checked all my devices again to ensure they have the correct settings and I can confirm they were.

I have checked older devices and they did not have any emial set up on them.

I have not changed the password since migration (Sept 16)

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for taking the time to double-check your devices. I would suggest changing your password and performing a scan with your internet security to make sure that this isn't due to virus activity or the account being compromised. 

- Shelly

Highlighted

Thanks Shelly.  I have done that - we will see what happens in the morning!

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Well it just happened to me too they were there one minute next time I went in they were deleting before my eyes. Years of mail gone from my phone and laptop. Any time spent at the Telstra shop takes forever and by the sounds of other people's posts a complete waste of time as Telstra will just pass the buck. Guess I won't know exactly what I had till I need it. Thank goodness is not a business account. I have no faith in it being fixed really annoyed right now
Highlighted
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Well,it seems I am not alone in losing ALL my emails. Because Telstra have been trying to fix late emails and the spam issue regarding the spam folder not working and influx of 350+ spam a day they had me change my destop program from Pop to IMAP. As a consequence I wake today to find everything gone because it is linked to my desktop program.Sent archived,inbox.

2 folders that had saved emails from years ago that were receipts and private,hundreds of them,gone.

I have been in tears because of Telstra who can't preform a simple job of running an email program.

There is nothing that can be done to get these back but now I have to push to get the issue found so it doesn't happen again.

Get your act together Telstra.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi solsta

The storage of previous folder and saved emails can depend on the email program being used. Something like Mac Mail or Windows Live will only keep these while the profile is still active in the program and if removed the saved emails will not stay. Adding an additional profile on top though will not remove the previous settings.

If the previous profile has been deleted then their may be an option on the computer to wind the changes back. 

If the config was set originally as IMAP then setting back up an IMAP should sync the previous mail structure back from the server.

- AlistairQWA

Highlighted

@AlistairQWA

They were synced to my desktop but the Telstra webmail deleted every single thing in the inbox and kept folders. Everything.

New mail is coming in since this but late as usual. Because I changed to IMAP on the desktop program they deleted every single email and folder there.

It cannot be retrieved,it is gone for good and others are reporting they had the same thing happen.

It was Telstra webmail that deleted it effecting everything else but thankyou for a response.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi solsta,

If you contact a private computer technician or Telstra Platinum on 137 587, they may be able to recover the emails that had previously been downloaded onto your computer. 

If you are a Telstra Platinum subscriber, this should not incur any additional charge. You can find out more about Telstra Platinum here: https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/platinum

- Shelly

Highlighted

Thank you for a reply but I refuse to pay for a problem that your end caused.
Highlighted

Re: Emails in inbox,sent and deleted all gone

I have lost everything in inbox, sent and deleted.  I only use my iphone. After discovering this I logged into webmail for the first time and everything gone from there also.  It was all there at lunchtime and gone this afternoon. I have another bigpond account and it is fine. Any help greatly appreciated how to get emails back.

Highlighted

We have just lost all inbox emails as well. Telstra really sucks right now. Nothing else lost but really important emails gone. Nothing on webmail either. What are you going to do to fix this? How are you supposed to run a business when you dont have the backup support to help and be efficient.

Highlighted

Hi Shelly

I've just been getting on with I couldn't seem to retrieve the lost emails but in answer to your questions

Incoming - imap.telstra.com

Outgoing - smtp.telstra.com

Highlighted
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

SOLVED - NO NOT REALLY!
This is not a solution. Imagine if all the Gmail users around the world had to constantly move their emails out of their inbox & on to their hard drives?
Please remove the SOLVED tick from @angela12 post.

Highlighted

Same thing here. Telstra say its a widespread problem that they are trying to fix!

Highlighted

This is still happening.

To add to the frustration though... our PC/laptop only downloads one at a time from the inbox. Phones get them all - one using Outlook client, other using Android default email client. All email is visble on webmail - email.telstra.com.

This doesn't happen if you move the email online or via phone to another folder.

What the hell is going on Telstra? What settings have you applied to the inbox that is causing this?

Highlighted

This has not been resolved.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi addyplus3, 

Please get in touch with our technical support team so they can access your account and investigate this further. 133 933

Highlighted

There is no solution listed above???

This is still happening. It has happened to me this morning and despite spending a lot of time on the phone and on telstra chat the only option i was given is to pay for Telstra Platinum. Why should we have to pay for this support when it is clearly some issue on Telstra's end! I have lost over 1000 emails needed for both work and personal corrospondence and cannot believe Telstra's responses!

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi EmmaG1,

The issue with the missing emails was resolved and all emails restored. With the individual services that we have followed up on, we have found that the emails were deleted by the email program and not from the server.

As the missing emails is not clearly an issue within the Telstra network, can you confirm what type of devices and email programs/apps (eg: iPad w/ Mail app & computer with Outlook Express) you use to manage your emails? Also confirm if you have logged into webmail and checked the deleted, spam and sent folders for copies of those emails?

- Shelly

Highlighted

Just lost all my emails. Was on my iphone, was deleting some emails, went back to others all there, went to delete some more and all were missing. It happened the other night when I was just looking at emails. I did not delet all of them, they just all disappeared. I managed to find them in my rubbish folder and restored them. TOnight, there is nothing anywhere. What is the issue? I went through all my folders, and there is nothing in any folder. I got rid of anything I didn't need anymore, still can't find all my emails. Everything gone...can someone help?

Highlighted

I had the same thing happen yesterday. There one minute, gone the next. I'm using a Macbook Pro and Mail. Also, I can't get into web-mail to see it they are deleted there as well. My e-mail address seems to have been changed from .bigpond.com to .telstra.com without my asking for it and the site won't send me updated log-in details. Wow! I think I'll be looking for another e-mail provider if this isn't sorted...

Highlighted

Happening to one of my INBOX's as well, no help from Telstra, did all the checks they have asked and nothing wrong with the settings at my end, then accused me of selectively deleting the emails, then going into the trash and permanently deleting them while leaving other emails in the Trash.  They offered me someone to look into the issue on their servers, surprise they'd like me to pay for it.

Poor Customer Service

Highlighted

I lost my inbox on Saturday 16/9/17....spent an hour on the phone to Telstra where they admitted the server deleted it, but it can't be recovered.... any help restoring these emails would be appreciated 

Highlighted

@oz-racing Hello there. If you search this message board for "All email messages have disappeared!" and look for postings in March 2017 (approximately page 7), you will see that many users have experienced the same issue.
In my case all emails were cleared out of all my folders in March. They were restored 30 days later.
Then in May the same thing happened but this time Telstra blamed me and refused to even 'try' to restore missing emails.
During the March event I wrote to the Telecommunication Ombudsman. This caused Telstra to assign a case manager (located in Australia). I also won a sizeable account credit.
I have since moved all my emails to Gmail and store nothing on the Telstra servers.

Hope this helps get you started.

Highlighted

This problem is still happening. I keep losing emails from my inbox. The oldest ones seem to drop off every couple of days. I have logged 2 jobs with telstra and I am a premium customer but still not resolved. They keep escalating to a level 2 tech in the server area and I have asked if that person can contact me but it never happens!!
This is a big problem, there are too many people having this fault! Come on Telstra you need to fix this or it's off to the ombudsman I go!
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

The issue with the missing emails was restored several months ago and has not re-occurred. This means that your experience is most likely due to the configuration of your email program or apps.

Can you confirm what type of devices and email programs/apps (eg: iPad w/ Mail app & computer with Outlook Express) you use to manage your emails? Also confirm if you have logged into webmail and checked the deleted, spam and sent folders for copies of those emails?

Highlighted

Hi do you know what we came home from holidays and all my inbox emails have gone to. Was all there the 29th dec 17 and when i chked on Monday mine have all gone from my main bigpond emails. I def didnt do anything. My comp was off all week and my phone i hardly touched. Very weird around same time we both have lost this?? Mine they are investigating. But said if deleted off server it may not be recovered. Which i hope is not case.
Highlighted

Hi do you know what we came home from holidays and all my inbox emails have gone to. Was all there the 29th dec 17 and when i chked on Monday mine have all gone from my main bigpond emails. I def didnt do anything. My comp was off all week and my phone i hardly touched. Very weird around same time we both have lost this?? Mine they are investigating. But said if deleted off server it may not be recovered. Which i hope is not case.
Highlighted

Hi @angela12 same issues were occurring back in March 2016. If you find the messages from that time you will see how I complained to TIO & received financial compensation. Best of luck.
Highlighted

Hi @bundyfree1 same issues were occurring back in March 2016. If you find the messages from that time you will see how I complained to TIO & received financial compensation. Best of luck.
Highlighted

*check posts from March 2017, not 2016.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit