Level 3: Gumshoe

lost mail

Answered

Hi,

Since being forced to change from Bigpond to Telstra Mail I have been loosing all incoming mail within 1 hour whether read or unread.

This is happening with both my iPhone and desktop PC.

After 2 days of contact with Telstra Platinum Service . and trying every setting known ,the last peice of advice was to change my email client to Gmail!!!

Not the help I was looking for!

Discusion with our local Telstra shop resulted in similar advice. (Back up everything, wipe everything and start again, or change to G mail )

I can change to any email client I wish but that wont get the emails back that I have lost over the last 2 weeks. 

Can anyone explain what is going on and how I can retrieve my lost mail?. As well as getting the new Telstra Mail to work the way it should?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Accepted Solution

Re: lost mail

Hi Again Shelly

Thank youSmiley HappySmiley Happy

Issue resolved!!!!!! ( Problem was with Outlook not "behaving" as it should on PC.

All changed over to Thunderbird and everything is all Good.

I am wrapped.

Again, Thanks Shelly,

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
33 REPLIES 33
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Hendo26, 

Sorry to hear of the BigPond email issue there. 

If you log into your Webmail, do you get the same issue? 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Hi IvanS

Yes. Seems Mail is vanishing from all. Telstra Mail. Outlook on PC. Outlook.com. and Webmail.

The only way I can save mail is to get mail sent to iCloud address or capture mail at my Bigpond address as soon as it lands and forward to icloud address.

All seems too hard for something that was working seemlessly before the move to telstra Mail.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

It sounds like your mailbox has migrated from Outlook.com to Telstra Mail. Once the migration has occurred, customers are still able to log into https://login.live.com with their details as well as send emails but it will not be able to receive any incoming emails.

You will need to change the configuration of your email program (Outlook 2007) and any other mail apps on your devices so that it utilises the Telstra Mail servers.

In most cases, this will be as simple as changing the incoming mail server from imap-mail.outlook.com to imap.telstra.com and the outgoing mail server from smtp-mail.outlook.com to smtp.telstra.com.  Those using POP instead of IMAP will change the incoming mail server from pop-mail.outlook.com to pop.telstra.com.

We recommend using port 465 for the outgoing mail server, however some users will find 587 will work best for them.

All mailboxes will be migrated across to Telstra Mail as we will not be able to continue to provide services through the older email platforms.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Telstra-and-or-BigPond-Email/Go-back-to-Microsoft-office-outl...

-Simone

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Thanks SimoneN

Again ,yes . all mailboxes have been changed to telstra mail servers, 1st by me following the many emails from telstra and following the instructions to the letter. Then by the telstra Platinum help desk. then with the personel at our local Telstra shop.

I am recieving mail on my email address as kept after changing over, however these emails simply vanish.

Hi All.

I Just conducted a test send frpm Web Mail to my Bigpond (Telstra Mail) address and,,, You guessed it ! Note vanished from Web Mail and then, before my eyes, vanished from my iPhone.

I am at my wits end over this issue.

I am currently out of contract with all my Telstra services so out of desperation I will be searching my options. 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Hendo26, 

Are you able to let me know the settings you are using for your Desktop PC?

Hi Kenobi

Setting are as per info given.

Incoming server --- imap.telstra.com Port  993

Outgoing server---- smtp.telstra.com  Port  465

Using encrypted connection                  SSL

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for confirming. I will be sending you a private message shortly regarding this.

- Shelly

Hi Shelly,

recieved note and was linked to 24/7 help. completed info refering back to this discussion.

Lost more emails today. Too late to capture and send to rescue file.

very nearly over it!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Hendo26

Just to confirm do you know of any device or client that was configured to use the POP collection method? This could exhibit the behaviour of deleting the messages from service that would affect IMAP folder sync method. 

-Ashley

Hi Ashley,

All devices were on POP3 for Bigpond. All changed over to IMAP.

Platinum Help took control and tested with setting changed to POP to try to identify problem, then changed back to IMAP.

Problem still existed.

I assume that any message that was DELETED would appear in a Deleted file. This mail is not being deleted, it is vanishing.

Just recieved mail and it lasted on PC for less that 20 Mins without taking any action.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks Hendo26

I'm just making sure as you don't change from IMAP to POP as their are incompatible settings. You have to set up completely different accounts in Outlook or similar programs. 

Are you able to confirm if you go to the Account Settings in Outlook there is only the IMAP config?

-Ashley

Yes Ashley.

All IMAP

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I'm sorry that we have not been able to have this issue resolved for you as yet Hendo26, and do apologise for any inconvenience that this has caused you Smiley Sad This is sounding as though this would have to be raised with our Tech team and more specifically our complex server team to have this investigated further. This has to be raised with the Tech team 24/7 on either 133933 or via Chat at: http://tel.st/gq6m and advise you are looking to retrieve emails that have been deleted incorrectly on the server.

Hi Shelly,

Missed your call. ( Mobile occupied(attempting to download contacts list after losing them while trying to sort email prob))

Have set up iCloud address on PC to transfer mail if I catch it in time..

Called back, got Telstra auto call back answering. 

Begining to think I may have an equipment issue although Telstra Plat, people didnt detect an issue.

Frustrated Phil.

Accepted Solution

Hi Again Shelly

Thank youSmiley HappySmiley Happy

Issue resolved!!!!!! ( Problem was with Outlook not "behaving" as it should on PC.

All changed over to Thunderbird and everything is all Good.

I am wrapped.

Again, Thanks Shelly,

View solution in original post

SORRY!!!!

Premature SOLVED NOTICE.

ISSUE PERSISTING .... Lost all test send mail... Again just disapeared.

If I uninstall OUTLOOK will this help?????

Hi Folks,

Shelly got back to me re last post and put me onto Alex (Telstra Premium?)

He was to ring back today at 11.30 however no call to date ..

On top of all that is going on with my email, (not resolved as yet, Shellys temporary fix by changing the incoming rules to send mail straight to a rescue folder is working), I have been notified that I have used half of my broadband data allowance.

Most of this usage was being connected to telstra help while they took controle of my PC in an attempt to fix my ongoing issue.

Not very fair!

Seems I have to sort this out another way! 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hello Hendo26,

I am sorry to hear that you have not received the callback yet. If you have the reference number in question, will be happy to look into this for you and send a reminder to place the callback. 

-Simone

Sorry Simone,

No reference numberSmiley Embarassed

Dond recall getting one.

I guess I just assumed that all would flow nicely and kept nothing.

Smiley Sad

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hello Hendo26,

Please do jump onto our live chat link via  http://tel.st/49kl and we will be able to follow through with this. 

-Simone

OK Done that Now in another wait mode

Using even more data

Hi Simone.

Have been onto 24/7 chat and att chat to date . we are all going around in circles

Support Team
Support Team

Did you get a reference number from the conversation? I can chase this up for you.

Thanks

Hi All again,

Just got off phone to Telstra Help after being sent there by Telstra 24/7 Chat site.

Still Nothing resoved.Seems to me that its a bit too hard and I am being shoved from dept to dept.in the hope that someone might know something.

I cant even get into Telstra web mail. Keep being sent to the old Bigpond web address.

I have been escalated !!! 

Reference No.  TTI-902237437372.

submitted a reply but its gone. Try Again

Reference no. TTI-902237437372

Support Team
Support Team

Thanks Hendo26, we appreciate it. I have alerted our Social Media Tech Team to your response and reference, of whom will be returning in the morning.

Well its now Wednesday evening and to date no contact from anyone. I will need to know if and when I will be contacted as I cant sit at the computor 24/7.

I no one has any idea what the problem is or how to fix, just say so and I will move on.

PLEASE!!

Support Team
Support Team

I apologise Hendo26,  Some email customers may have been intermittently unable to login or intermittently experienced delays in sending and receiving emails. 

This issue is now resolved, however, some emails sent during the incident have not yet been delivered. 

These emails will be progressively delivered. We thank customers for their patience and apologise again for any inconvenience caused. 

Sorry to advise that the note from Renee AND email from Telstra Customer Service telling me that my issue is resolved and that I will now be recieving emails, is not correct.....I have never had a problem with not recieving emails..

My issue was that I was , and still am experiencing emails vanishing AFTER I recieve them.

I have been getting email delivery, but it seems that email delivered to my inbox are being hijacked.

PLEASE dont lump my issue in with the other problems telstra has apparently bemm experiencing.

If you were to read all my posts and all the answers you may see the difference.

Would I be correct in assuming that as no one can solve my issue I have been wiped off the to do actions?

AS I have asked.... If no one can help, then TELL ME!.

I can then change over to another provider.

Level 1: Cadet

I haven't had emails for nearly a week. I migrated over fine a few weeks back but last week there was apparently an outage, I can send emails from Telstra webmail and Outlook, Telstra on 24x7 sent one from my webmail to themselves and back again no issues, but anyone else (including myself from work) is getting a bounce back saying address can't be located. Very frustrating and I am just in queue now for 24x7.

Good luck Talia,

I hope somone can resolve your issue. I have had 24/7 on three occasions and have been escalated (whatever that means) to a higher Tech level. But then contact stopped. No call back, no response and no resolution. I,m having no problems with my iCloud address, just Telstra Mail.

I can relate to your frustration levels. Hang in there.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit