Highlighted
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Lost my @bigpond alias after Outlook migration

Earlier this week/late last week, I took the plunge and updated my @telstra.com account from good ol' MyInbox / MyConnect to Outlook.com, looking forward to the added abilities such as Exchange ActiveSync access, etc.

However, after migrating I notice that the @bigpond.com alias I was using has now stopped functioning.

My username is 'beaugil.es', and so at bigpond.com, I could (and still can) log in using 'beaugil.es', 'beaugil.es@telstra.com' or 'beaugil.es@bigpond.com' and they all work fine.

I could also send email to either beaugil.es@telstra.com or beaugil.es@bigpond.com, and they'd both arrive in my inbox (since my username is really just 'beaugil.es') - this was handy as then I effectively had two email addresses I could use for different purposes as I needed to, and they'd both arrive in the same inbox.

This was how it worked under MyInbox, but now after the Outlook.com migration, any emails sent to beaugil.es@bigpond.com instantly fail. I can't receive any mail, nor can I send any mail under that address. I can still login with it at bigpond.com for email.

Tried calling the support number that was in the Outlook.com migration invitation email, but they had no idea what was going on, or how the @bigpond.com and @telstra.com aliases work sadly.

Some googling has come up with some similar confusion and 'similar' situations, such as

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet/telstra-email-accounts-post-migration-to-Live...

And some discussion on Whirlpool - http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2026569

As such, can anyone here clarify what exactly is happening; is this the 'intended' behaviour after an outlook.com migration? Or is this just an oddity that has happened to me, as not many others use their @telstra.com/@bigpond.com alises?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted

Re: Lost my @bigpond alias after Outlook migration

Still had no luck, but came across this FAQ article tonight; https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/how-to-use-aliases-and-forwarding

"We’ll be creating these aliases automatically for all BigPond Email customers.  It means customers already using mailbox domain aliases won’t need to change websites or business cards which currently promote their email addresses.  You will receive an email to confirm the creation of the alias and that you can now start using your new alias if you choose to do so."

Been about a week now, and had no emails about setting up my @bigpond.com or any other @bigpond aliases.

Highlighted
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Beau,

I have forwarded details of your post to our BigPond email guru who I hope will be able to clarify what has occurred and, if its not working as intended, the steps to rectify.

Apologies for the delay in replying, your post was only flagged with myself this afternoon.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Beau,

Can you please send me a private message with the email address you have working and the alias so that I can get this corrected?

As far as I am aware aliases are not created automatically but I have been told that we should be able to get this fixed up for you.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

Very tricky, took me hours to fix but can report to forum have successfully managed to integrate by bigpond account with the new Outlook by downloading a Telstra tool which worked quite well.Thanks Telstra, works a treat, JohnVetSmiley Happy

Highlighted

Hi DanK; sorry for the delay in replying.

Was able to call BigPond support on Tuesday and speak to someone who was aware of the issue; my case was escalated to Level3 support, and am awaiting more feedback from them now.

Highlighted

Question to Forum, why can't I migrate GMail to the same portal I use. I have 3 e-mail accounts and still have to check on GMail.I supect that this is not POSSIBLE-am I right in assuming this.??Smiley Mad

Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Hey Dank

was wondering if you may be able to help I see you may have had some success in this fault before

I to have lost the ability to send to the telstra.com alias of one of my accounts after I was migrated to Outlook.com a few weeks ago

So far the 24x7 chat people twice have now said I NEVER had the ability

I since have reported a fault and received a reference on line with a reply email saying I would be contacted within 2 bus days but have head nothing

Also rang bigpond support tonight who also advised me also that I have never had the ability to use email alias telstra.com even though as I told them I've used it for a long time

Going by the number of view of this thread I think its amn issue for others as well

are you able to point me to someone who will belive Ive had the address in use for years and be able to fix it

Its been failed for about 2 weeks now

Highlighted
Community Manager

I will send you a private message shortly, someguy.

Highlighted

can someone chase this for me and get an update sent

2 weeks since DanK started to look at it .

That now over a month since my email address worked

SR 1-153153028444 

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi someguy,

I'll get in touch with the case manager & follow this up for you

Our techs are available during business hours Mon-Fri & I'd expect you to be contacted within 2 business days with an update.

Please let me know if you haven't heard anything

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Can you share what that tool is JohnVet???

Highlighted

Hi, the tool is MY Online Toolkit which you should be able to downlowd from Telstra. My current technology does not allow me to do so. I bought a new computer which does not allow My Online Toolkit.. Good luck JohnVet

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey JAL,

The online toolkit can be found here: Online Toolkit KB

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Brodie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

Well so much for service, but that seems to be the norm with this fault

Still nothing heard from support team

its now been weeks without email

can you followup and get an update for me

SR 1-153153028444 

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Someguy,

I'm the person that has this case in hand Smiley Happy In our last contact, I advised that we're waiting on our case with engineering. I'm happy to give you a call if you'd like, just unfortunately I don't have an update at this stage.

Brodie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

re SR 1-153153028444  still no email since December - no one has contacted me for a number of weeks - almost time to go to the TIO I think - can someone get an update for me

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Someguy,

I'm the one who has this issue in hand Smiley Happy

This escalation is still ongoing. At this stage it is still in hand with the engineering staff, as they are trying to pinpoint the fault and get it resolved. I'm sorry I haven't been in touch recently, at this stage I don't have any relevant information for you. I can call later today if you like?

Brodie

Highlighted

Thanks Brodie.a call would be appreciated. This has been off for far to long missing invites to weddings and bills. Could you escalate to next support level please as its clear the one its at are having issues
Highlighted

@bigpond alias before Outlook migration

I have an existing email address user@telstra.com, "user" being my My Account login.

I recently aquired bigpond mobile broadband and in My Account I have a new firstname_surname@bigpond.com email address

I have sent some test emails to this from both my user@telstra.com e-mail and also an external e-mail account expecting it to turn up at my user@telstra.com e-mail. Neither appears. I've tryed to log into webmail.bigpond.com and just get a "The username and password you have entered do not match. Please try again." message.

I am looking into the outlook.com upgrade, but would first like to know how the firstname_surname@bigpond.com address works, or even if it exists apart from a title in My Account.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: @bigpond alias before Outlook migration

Hi Geo101,

If the username@bigpond.com was created after February 2012, then it should already be on Outlook.com.

To confirm the status of the mailbox, log in here: http://bigpond.com/email-status

- Shelly

Highlighted

Sorry for the delay been  bit busy

If i've understood correctly you have more than one email account like myself  and only want to really advertise one of them the user@telstra.com

To capture things that might sent to firstname_surname@bigpond.com email and have them arrive in user@telstra.com ( I think thats what your asking) 

what you will have to do is set up email forwarding on the firstname_surname@bigpond.com account

the following may help (see the 5th selecetion)

https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/how-to-use-aliases-and-forwarding

set it to forward to the user@telstra.com   you will only then need to log into your email  user@telstra.com to see  ALL emails 

as for outlook.com once they sorted out faults with my alias @telstra.com not working, that took a few weeks  (see selection one of the above page link ) and I also have the email fowarding set up things are back to normal 

Hope that helps

Highlighted

OK now know whats going on.

The firstname_surname@bigpond.com is a new mailbox and lives on outlook.com and the existing user@telstra.com mailbox stays separate and is still on mail.bigpond.com to be converted at a later date.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit