Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Mac Mail unable to access emails on BigPond

Is anyone else having this problem? I have a recently purchased iMac  (Dec 2013) which intitially connected beautifully to my Bigpond email system. I immiedately (foolishly it may appear) updated the software to OS X Version 10.9.1 and lost the ability to recieve emails via BigPond but can still send emails!!!!!. I have been able to set up functioning gmail and icloud email accounts.

Just to complicate matters at or about the same time my email account was comprimised by spammers with Telstra rightly requesting I change passwords etc which was duly done and which put an end to teh spamming activity. 

I have had numerous Telstra and Apple technicians as well as two senior non Telstra or Apple aligned IT people look at the issue and all have tried a range of set up combinations including reloading all the the entire iMac software system but nothing has worked.

If you have had or are having a simliar issue I would appreciate if you could  share with me any options that may work.

Thanks 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Mac Mail unable to access emails on BigPond

Hey jd55,

It sounds like a few different people have looked into this for you, its a shame no resolution has been found yet! Just to confirm, are you on the older MyConnect platform or the new Outlook.com platform?

Brodie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Still can't receive Emails due to authentication problem on Imac with OSX 10.9.1. with my Bigpond Email account.

However no problems with my Macbook Air with the same OSX 10.9.1. Both running Mail 7.1

Any suggestions?

Problem only showed up on the Imac after ugrade to OSX 10.9.1

Imac is early 2008 Model, no problems with any other software.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Robbie,

Our tech people are away for the weekend but in case you don't get a response from the community in the meantime I'll make sure they take a look on Monday. Smiley Happy

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Robbiek2009,

While I am not aware of any known email issues with this OS, I believe the issue may be related to the settings that you have configured.

The settings you use depend on which email platform your mailbox is on. To confirm the correct settings you should be using you can log in here: http://bigpond.com/email-status

You can also find the settings for all configurations here: http://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/email-settings

If you still need assistance, can you please advise what error you are receiving, which mail platform your mailbox is on and if you are able to Send but not receive emails.

Highlighted

Since Sunday night I have not been able to receive any bigpond mail through MacMail. This applies to all my Apple devices. I keep getting the message that my username and password are not correct.

I had one of your technical team send me by password by txt, just to confirm, and it's correct and unchanged. I am very frustrated!

I can send email trough the outgoing mail server mail.bigpond.com, but nothing is coming through the incoming mail server.

I spent an hour on the phone with a Bigpond technician last night and he was unable to solve it.

Help please!

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey tandam,

The first thing to confirm is which platform your mailbox is on. You can confirm this, as well as the current settings by logging in here: http://bigpond.com/email-status

If your mailbox has been migrated to Outlook.com, then this means that you can easily configure any Apple device with the IMAP settings by selecting Hotmail, Windows Live or Outlook.com option when you add an account and entering your BigPond login details. IMAP will allow you to synchronise the mailbox across all devices.

Customers on the Outlook.com mail server will also need to log in to My BigPond to change the password which will need to be at least 8-16 characters in length and contain at least one of each character type: lower case, upper case and numerals. They will then need to log into webmail to set up the security questions. 

For those who are still on the original BigPond mail platform that would like to migrate to Outlook.com, this can be done via: http://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/extras/#tab-bigpond-email

Hope this helps!

- Shelly

Highlighted

I have not had email access since 30 March. I received a txt message on 7 April sayng that the problem would be rectified within 24-48 hours but it's now 14th April and still nothing has been resolved. This is unacceptable!

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi tandam, 

We'll have our Tech Team pop on and discuss this with you.

Highlighted

Hi,

I too am experiencing the same problems.  It is so frustrating because when trying other email accounts, they have all managed to sync with mac office 2011 just fine... in fact they synched automatically.  What is the issue with Bigpond email???  I tried pop3.bigpond, pop3.live, mail with both, imap with both.  Is anybody able to tell what the correct information should b?

Online, it seems webmail cannot be used due to some technical issues and that makes this even more frustrating.  I cannot access my emails either way.

Really, just after a resolution to make this work.  

There's been no further information or resolution since this post from January.

Hoping there is an answer out there somewhere.

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

I too seem to suffer the same and posted this issue before I found this thread. The trigger for me was the spam of emails into my account . From there nothing however I can log into via webmail with same credentials so I very much doubt it is my Macbook Pro on 10.9.2. Lets hope there is a fix soon.
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Might be an idea to see if your settings are still correct. There have been a few changes to mail over the past couple of months and upgrading of accounts with the new Outlook setup.

Check this link: http://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/set-up-mac-mail-version-2-5#cat=Broadband%20%26%20Email

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
Highlighted

Thanks Jeff,

In my particular case the same authentication error occurs.

I have tried multiple Mac's and multiple email apps with the same result.

Looks like a phone call to a guru is required.

Appreciate your suggestion though.

Highlighted

Hi Tandam,

I am happy to say my issue is fixed after many calls to techos.

Per what I have listed , I could not receive email , send was fine as was accessing via webmail.

This was present on ALL my MAC devices and when the techos said it was a MAC issues and had to reset the keychain and visit a MAC shop , I configured Thunderbird on a WIN XP laptop with the same error.

Logic says this must be account related.

Again contacted Telstra MAC support and went through the same things and both came to the conclusion to reset my password.

This was done and bingo . mails downloaded.

I hope this helps anyone in my situation.

Cheers !

Highlighted

I have been having this same problem and here it is 2016, so I guess Telstra still are getting things sorted. I have spent hours and hours with the technical support. Even tho. they have spent time and tried everything, eg including changing passwords twice and still can't receive emails on MAIL programme. Given up trying to fix it and shall either change ISP or as they have not provided the service I pay for, get a refund.

Technology getting worse in the Southern Highlands anyway.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit