Level 1: Cadet

Missing emails

I’m currently unable to find many emails on webmail. I can see them however on my phone but they are no longer on my webmail. How do I retrieve these? 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Missing emails

If you have set your phone to use POP3 the phone has probably removed the emails from the server. Most emails clients if configured to use POP3 by default will remove emails from the server after a set period of time usually 14 days. If the emails that are missing are ones older than about 7 or 14 days then your email client has removed them and there is no easy way of putting them back on the server.

Level 21: Augmented

as with @cf4 comment..  you email client is probably removing the emails from the server as you go. There are ways to stop that (the IMAP option is a better choice for that because you can sync several devices/email clients to it and control what stays on the server..)

But, it is not a good practice to relay on webmail for storage - especially the Telstra servers which have been prone to problems and failures of late..

If you want to save emails, do it locally on you device/s, if you need a email server in the cloud, then look at something like GMail or Outlook accounts - Telstra are showing indications of withdrawing there email service anyway.

If you really want to put those emails back on the webmail server, you can email them back to yourself - but the problem will re-occur as soon as you connect to the server again - unless you change the client settings so as to leave email on the server.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Level 1: Cadet

I have emails from years ago, just not the last few months. I’m wondering if the setting on my phone aren’t correct in order to sync back to webmail. It seems to be keeping all the rubbish emails and ones that I’ve deleted.

Level 21: Augmented

Have you deleted the rubbish emails? and the ones that have been deleted - was that on webmail itself or on another device/email client..

The Telstra/Bigpond mail servers seem to be behaving erratically, base on posts seen here.. perhaps some of those emails are being restored as part of Telstra maintenance/rebuild work..

It might be worth taking the time to go into Webmail and manually deleting any emails no longer required, including emptying the trash folder at the same time..

Most email clients will download any emails from the server that aren't already recieved or actioned..  but what you are describing seems a little unusual..

With you Telstra/Bigpond account, when you are using a client you can have both a POP version and an IMAP version at the same time..  check which one you are using and then create a new account using the other mode..  the details on this page might be useful to you..

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/set-up/imap-pop-and-smtp-information-for-manual-em...

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit