Tempo58
Level 5: Eagle Eye

New Telstra Mail service seriously faulty for clients with Microsoft accounts

I have just spent 3 hours on a phone to support (not in Australia) trying to explain why this new move to Telstra Mail has been poorly executed and without thought to the way users are set up at home.  In this instance an elderly female client of mine had been notified on the 6th July that her migration to Telstra mail had completed and she needed to change the settings in her mail program.  Now this is where the fun begins.  She is running Windows 10 on her laptop and the same account on her Windows Phone.  Her BigPond email address is her Microsoft Account, this was created before Telstra, in it's infinite wisdom, decided to block people from using a BigPond email address as a Microsoft account.  You cannot change the settings of her Microsoft Account as Microsoft, quite rightly, says this is part of a reserved Domain and you must do this from your providers Website in your account settings at Telstra or BigPond.  So we have a vicious loop where the support people say, well, just delete the Microsoft account and start again, which of course presents the next dilemma.  Deleting the account removes all their Backups and synchronised data in the cloud so all their devices would become pretty much useless.  I specifically brought this issue up with Telstra crowd support some years ago, pointing out the [potential issues they will have by prohibiting the Domain use within a Microsoft account.  This was all too hard and my fears have now become reality.  I act for quite a large contingent of Telstra customers that have all been set up in the same manner, with the exception of those that were created post the Domain Ban.  How the hell are you going to fix this issue?  Well, the simplest way would be to lift the Ban on using a Telstra email account as a Microsoft account, but I am almost certain that the Marketing Team at Telstra would be horrified to allow this, despite the fact that nearly every other email domain that I have had to set up in our region, GMail, Yahoo, Optusnet etc etc, all have no issues with this.

Your Tech support have no knowledge of how to fix this and will not pass you on to a higher authority to explain the issues.

I am very disappointed that Telstra has blindly gone down this path without thinking clearly about all those people that have Microsoft accounts, most created when Telstra had done their "EMail deal" with MS a few years ago.

Poorly executed, and poorly thought out.

Further to this, when I spoke to support they gave me a link to the old login path to Telstra WebMail which worked for 5 minutes before they reset the account and I can no longer access it to place a forwarding rule to the clients new Outlook.com email alias.  Stupid!

I am now going to divert all BigPond and Telstra email services via forwarding so my clients no longer have to deal with this ineptitude.  If they had listened 4 years ago, none of this would be happening now.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
21 REPLIES 21
Tempo58

Re: New Telstra Mail service seriously faulty for clients with Microsoft accounts

P.S. My client has not been able to receive email since 6/7/16 so she cannot access her email bills, one of which is her Telstra account.
ashleycox
Level 4: Private Eye

Re: New Telstra Mail service seriously faulty for clients with Microsoft accounts

Thanks for making this post Tempo58.

I would like to add that I am another customer (probably amongst many) affected by the mishandling of this issue. I would also like to see a speedy resolution, but note that it has persisted literally for years (and through multiple inconclusive support requests on my part).

One of the most recent of these is here: https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Telstra-and-or-BigPond-Email/Transition-of-an-additional-mail...

Over to you, Telstra. It would be nice not to be disappointed for once.
Fleming
Telstra Products & Services Team
Telstra Products & Services Team

I think I understand your request, so lets see if I can help.

Starting with Windows 8, Microsoft allowed a user to signin with an online Outlook.com account. This allows easy integration of mail, OneDrive and a few other services. You are already aware of this.

In our case we are looking at setting up a mail account in Windows Mail for the user that is different to the integrated one.

Note that I have not tested this as I do not have an account, but this should work just fine;

First, don't get too hung up on the idea of allowing an @telstra email to login to Windows. Its probably not going to happen, but in this case, we don't need to. You want to keep signed in as your Micrsoft user to keep the OneDrive and other services active.

The easiest way to handle all of this is just setup another Windows Mail account to point to Telstra.

Instructions on doing so can be found here:

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Telstra-and-or-BigPond-Email/How-to-Configure-Telstra-Mail-on...

Another option, that I cannot confirm if it will work is to alter the existing Windows Mail profile.

- Open Windows Mail. Click "Accounts" on the left. Find the configured email account and press it.

- Find the second option from the bottom "Change mailbox sync settings" and press it.

- Scroll down and at the very bottom press "Advanced mailbox Settings"

- In the "Incoming email server" type in: imap.telstra.com

- In the "Outgoing email server" type in: smtp.telstra.com

- Make sure all 4 tick boxes are selected

- Press Done

- Press Save

Close and reload Windows Mail and see if you get any errors.

Tempo58

Thanks for the reply.

I have created a work around that will solve most of this but will not resolve the issue that you cannot replace a Microsoft Account with an alias created under the same account.  Microsoft quite rightly acknowledges this by declaring that Telstra has rights over the BigPond domain and, therefore, you must make these requests to them as your provider.

Also you cannot merge one MS account with another as they are regarded as unique.

I found today that you cannot access Telstra Mail (new one) using IE 11 as all it does is take you to an information page on Telstra's site about Telstra's new mail offering.  However, you can access the web mail page if you use the new Microsoft Edge browser (Windows 10).  I don't know about Firefox or Chrome as I do not use either.

So, upon discovering this I did the following:

1. Created an Outlook.com.au alias for the client under her account.

2. Logged in to the new Web mail portal for Telstra and under settings/Mail you can then select Forwarding and create a rule that forwards all incoming mail to the aforementioned alias.  You can also choose to leave copies on the server or not.

The client is now receiving email to her MS account and all her mail programs do not need to be changed regardless of what Telstra may or may not do in response to the issue they have created.

Altering their email programs as you have suggested does not resolve the overriding issue of not being able to configure your settings at Outlook.com which is the source for all their devices.  It will just create one extra item you will need to monitor in the future.

Telstra needs to think about relaxing the rule prohibiting MS to use BigPond accounts.  If they did this then a person would then be able to change their mail server settings at Outlook.com to allow mail to flow.  This is where it needs to be changed.

I appreciate your efforts and thank you for taking the time to comment.  You have at least done a lot more than Telstra has in response to this.  It is a simple fix, but, as I said earlier, the marketing people need to keep their noses out of this issue and let the experienced followers and users help mold the product in the future and we will all have a better product.

Also this has arisen because there are people that already have MS accounts using their Telstra addresses.  it is not going to affect new accounts or accounts created after the ban was introduced.

Ian T

Tempo58

The silence is deafening.  Would love to hear from telstra.

Had another client this morning, not migrated, no email in her old My Connect web login since 15th July.  Put in a forwarding rule to her MS account (outlook.com address) which does not work.  So now the old webmail does not work either, brilliant!

Another thing to note, the new Webmail is IMAP only.  Therefore, pop based services cannot connect, such as outlook.com.  I can see some very angry customers having some choice words to say about this.

Frankly, Telstra should halt the migration until the issues are resolved.  Perhaps initiating a Windows Insider type of program, where ordinary users can test this stuff before it gets to market, might have prevented these problems from ever occuring in the first place.  This was also requested some years ago.

Kaybee1
Level 1: Cadet

Email forwarding is a good idea, you can also access 'Telstra Mail' from other email apps like gmail:

Here's what you need to do:
  1. Open up Gmail on your Android device.
  2. Swipe right from the left edge of the screen.
  3. In the sidebar, scroll all the way down to the bottom.
  4. Tap Settings.
  5. Tap Add account.
  6. Tap either Google or Personal (IMAP/POP)—Figure A.
  7. Complete the account setup wizard:

Enter your Telstra email address and case-sensitive password then tap Manual setup

Select IMAP account then enter in imap.telstra.com in IMAP server

Check Incoming port is ‘993’

Select SSL under Security Type

Select Next

Enter smtp.telstra.com as your SMTP server and then select SSL under Security type

Check Outgoing port is ‘465’.

From with the Gmail app, right swipe from the left edge of the screen to reveal the sidebar. At the top of the sidebar, you should see small bubbles representing all of your accounts. You can tap a bubble to quickly switch between accounts.

Google - 1

Telstra - 0

ashleycox

Thanks Ian,

You're dead on, and I would like to highlight what I think are your two key remarks:

Telstra needs to think about relaxing the rule prohibiting MS to use BigPond accounts.

Also this has arisen because there are people that already have MS accounts using their Telstra addresses.  it is not going to affect new accounts or accounts created after the ban was introduced.

Would love to see Telstra re-think this decision.

Regards.

Acter
Level 10: Junior Detective

Not sure I fully understand the technical dtails of all of this, but you are simply wasting your time dealing with Telstra, tone deaf to any reasonable customer issues.  Suggest the TIO?

Acter

Still reading these posts, eye watering material. Are you saying, inter alia, that any Telstra BP customer, after migration and conversion to the new Telstra email service (use that word with some trepidation in this scenario!), will not be able to access the current MS account (and all its content eg Onedrive and the like) using the current xxxx@bigpond.com as a log on.  The consequential effects being that syncing and all of that goes by the wayside.  If so, find that hard to believe, as one of the primary selling points rolled out by Telstra in it marketing for the new email service was - we have had our customer survey, and this waht our customers want - or words to tha effect.

CM - any comments?

Tempo58

You are close,  I have not had too much experience with clients that have created new BigPond accounts, since the new WebMail debacle.  But, yes, if your "primary" MS account is your BigPond email address then you can't change the settings as the prohibition prevents another "Party" from changing your account settings, in this case, BigPond (Telstra).  My personal account (MS) is my BigPond email address, I can no longer edit those settings.  I have created a second Outlook.com.au alias that resides under my primary account.  I cannot make this my primary account, it will not let me, and I suspect it is because of the "ownership" issue of "BigPond.com".  So to remove the account altogether would remove my backed up data, syncronised settings etc etc that are elated to my Microsoft set up.

There is another issue as well.  Microsoft are migrating existing users from their current "outlook.com" web service to a new one which will allow IMAP connected accounts to be created.  This is very good and brings it inline with "OWA"  (Outlook Web Access) that Corporates use (similar but not all functionality).  I don't have a client that has both the new OWA looking page AND the BigPond issue.  So I cannot pass on how this may change the situation going forward.  At this point, I am redirecting mail from Telstra's new service to aliases set up at MS accounts so my clients do not need to change any of their devices.

Tempo58

Sorry, forgot to add, you can still access all your stuff at MS, just not email
Acter

Lost me completely, thought CS was techno talk too much, too much jargon to even contemplate.  All very impressive, as the usual line in Yes Minister, would go after bening asked - what do you think?  - It is very well typed.  No reply needed, all to much, lost the interest after your latest post.  Pity.

Mark1724
Level 3: Gumshoe

@Tempo58 Have you had any official confirmation from anyone at Telstra that the Outlook.com accounts are going to be retained indefinitely?

There are numerous posts detailing work arounds similar to yours (ie work arounds that leverage the fact that the Outlook.com accounts are essentially still fully functional - they just no longer receive emails that are directed to the userid at bigpond.com).

However I am concerned that at some point in the (potentially near?) future once the migration is considered 'complete' that the outlook.com accounts will be disabled without notice. This could be a double-whammy: firstly - the work arounds will cease to work and, secondly - data (like emails, contacts and calendar appointments) that have been added or changed post migration may be lost.

Tempo58

I suspect that would not be a good idea on Telstra's behalf as the new Webmail service is hosted by Microsoft.
Telstra have been remarkably quiet about this, so I have not had an official response which is very disheartening as most people that post hear just want to improve the product. This is all the more relevant as this issue was brought up a few years ago, but again no response.
Tempo58

Forgot to add, my workaround won't affect any of your concerns. The only thing that may be affected is the outgoing email server may stop working at Bigpond.com.
Mark1724
Level 3: Gumshoe

Not sure about the bit where "my workaround won't affect any of your concerns". If the Outlook.com login's are disabled then the workaround stops immediately. Worst case (assuming no warning or notice is given, no backups, lots of changes post migration, etc etc) you could potentially lose a lot of contact and calendar information.

Hence my concern. If I were to rely on this I would like some confidence that 1) it will continue for a reasonable period of time (dealing with these changes can become very time consuming and 2) that fair / decent notice will be provided before the Outlook.com logins are disabled if / when they do stop.

By outgoing email server do you mean the autoforward from bigpond.com to the outlook.com server? Possibly, but autoforward is pretty common would like to think that Telstra wouldn't remove that type of functionality. But autoforwarding to the outlook.com addresses only works while the outlook.com addresses are still valid.....

Tempo58

@Mark1724 wrote:

Not sure about the bit where "my workaround won't affect any of your concerns". If the Outlook.com login's are disabled then the workaround stops immediately. Worst case (assuming no warning or notice is given, no backups, lots of changes post migration, etc etc) you could potentially lose a lot of contact and calendar information.

Hence my concern. If I were to rely on this I would like some confidence that 1) it will continue for a reasonable period of time (dealing with these changes can become very time consuming and 2) that fair / decent notice will be provided before the Outlook.com logins are disabled if / when they do stop.

By outgoing email server do you mean the autoforward from bigpond.com to the outlook.com server? Possibly, but autoforward is pretty common would like to think that Telstra wouldn't remove that type of functionality. But autoforwarding to the outlook.com addresses only works while the outlook.com addresses are still valid.....

Outlook.com logins are not disabled, only the ability to edit your mail settings IF your login is a bigpond address.  Creating an alias just allows you to forward mail into the same account and not use a bigpond address thus keeping all your syncing data and OneDrive files intact.

This means you can log in with either address as your MS account.  The next obvious step would be to make your Outlook.com alias your primary account login to Microsoft, but this is also stymied by the account restriction placed on MS by Telstra.

ashleycox

Some good new perhaps? My BigPond email was yesterday upgraded to Telstra Mail. Interestingly (and I can’t help but think in more than a coincidence), my Outlook.com account was also upgraded to the new Office 365-based version.

I once again attempted to change my Microsoft primary alias from my BigPond EASI address to a Microsoft address – it worked! I can’t be sure its positively linked to either of the account upgrades, but I had been suspicious as to why both had been delayed so long. It does give the impression that there was actually some Microsoft-Telstra collaboration behind the scenes.

My Microsoft and Telstra accounts are now de-linked, and as far as I can tell, the upgrades were seamless. I have retained my BigPond email as an alias and ‘connected account’ in Outlook.com, and it still seems to be happily polling to receive new email (using the new Telstra Mail POP3 settings).

My pleasure at this development (almost) overrides my frustration from chasing this for 3½ years.

(With great hesitation) - thank you Telstra???

wrightie

Google 10

Telstra    0

teepee888

I recently relocated from Velocity to ADSL2 and had. Telstra Tech come and set up the system on my laptop and mobile and in doing so he managed to delete all my addresss book . So I am totally lost. Also after spending hours on the phone with Telstra customer support and hours at their TELSTRA shops I am no better off. What have Telstra done to me? I also cannot get any emails on my gmail account . Please help. I am 79 years of age and not computer literate.
Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

If you contact Telstra Platinum on 137 587, they may be able to assist with recovering the contact list in your email program. This is not something that standard Tech Support will be able to assist you with.

You can find out more about the services offered by Telstra Platinum here: https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/platinum

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit