Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

No IMAP - can't use bigpond email on outlook app for ipad/iPhone

After many hours of searching, reading, calling and chatting (the last two over repeated calls to Telstra BigPond techies), it seems that in about 2012, Telstra started migrating old email account users to Exchange or something, then in about 2014 migrations continued on - but this time to Outlook.com accounts. These migrations were apparently to keep BigPond emails up with the times and in the process changed to IMAP.

Mine was not migrated either time and is still the same old BigPond email account.

Now Telstra informs me that migrations have ceased... More hours of research & helpline calls ensued.

Long story short - the biggest provider in Australia (Telstra) has left some of their long-standing customers behind, and we now cannot use some of the most widely used software on the planet (MS Office Outlook App for iOS devices) to access our BigPond emails.  MIcrosoft has seen fit to exclude archaic POP and POP3 email accounts from being added - fine if we were migrated to either IMAP, Outlook or Exchange.  Otherwise a no - go!

I will be absolutely thrilled if someone can advise any different info, or a usable workaround that doesn't involve having to change my actual email address ... please.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Level 23: Superhero

Re: No IMAP - can't use bigpond email on outlook app for ipad/iPhone

Good morning

Whilst I  have been a loyal Telstra customer since 1963, I have also had continual issues with BigPond email.

I moved my email services to gmail, which is free, reliable, trouble-free and flexible on almost all platforms and devices,

From what I have read, there are further changes  re BigPond email ????

As you have been unable to resolve your issues for so long, you may wish to consider gmail..

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

I'm with the Professor,

Great advice! My primary account is also gmail. It seems the novice tends to use what's given but have no end of trouble.

Cheers,
Dave

Highlighted

Hi ProfessorPlane & Caaf

Thanks for your replies - much appreciated, however I'm specifically asking about how to fix the issue Without having to resort to creating another email address.

It's mind blowing to me that our country's biggest provider cannot ensure that customer emails are in line with changing technologies. And, unfortunately, it seems the most-affected customers (ie those stuck with a POP or POP3 email service only) are in the long standing Telstra customer group.

i know I could create a new "BigPond" email address & it'll be an Outlook.com account, and I know I could otherwise create a gmail or other email address and do mail forwarding from my existing BigPond address, however I find both of those methods unacceptable. 

This is is only an issue for me having setup the new MS Office Outlook 2016 App on my mobile devices (which doesn't support POP or POP3 accounts) ... My best solution at this time is also not ideal, however I can continue to check my BigPond emails through the iOS Mail App, and use the MS Office Outlook App for my business emails. Bit of a pain but not as bad as having to change my long standing BigPond email address.

Any other suggestions also welcome ... Has anyone been able to get Telstra to migrate their account to IMAP by insistent requests?

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

I'm also one of the many left behind on the pop3 service, hopefully someone can come up with a resolution.
I just want emails that sync across two devices, its not much to ask for!
Highlighted

I have exactly the same problem. I follow Telstra's instructions on setting up IMAP exactly on the outlook APP for IPHONE and IPAD and it keeps coming up with an IMAP login error. (Incorrect settings)

The APP works fine for Exchange and ICloud but Telstra mail: BigPond.net.au just won't work.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Hi... not sure if anyone has this problem or not but I've set up IMAP on my iphone  using the Outlook app and for some reason mail does not sync properly. After (in most instances) around 4 days or so it does work, but right now its just stopped completely.

IOS 11

Outlook for iphone

Have configured the account as per Telstras settings for IMAP and it doesnt work. I have to login to webmail to get my email which is useless on an iphone.

Anyone else have this problem?

Michael.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi mickeyj23, 

I've noticed a similar issue with my email when using the Outlook app on my iPhone.  The mail team ran some tests and it looks like the Outlook app itself is the issue.  

New email is sitting on the web server (or webmail platform) and can be accessed by other email clients and apps, like the iPhone's native email app, but the Outlook App is unable to locate the new messages to download even though they are located on the server. Sometimes there will be a delay in delivery.

An update for the Outlook app became available on the 7/9/17. Version 2.41.0  I updated it and re-added my account and it seems to be working again.

If you're having difficulties with the app on new iOS 11 I'd recommend contacting the Outlook app team and providing further feedback.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit