Ode
Level 2: Rookie

Outgoing server (SMTP) error. The server responded: HELO/EHLO rejected. OB301

Answered

Hello,

Does anyone know the meaning of Telstra's SMTP server returning an "OB301" error?

An error occurred while sending mail: Outgoing server (SMTP) error. The server responded:  HELO/EHLO rejected. OB301.

I can no longer send emails to the smtp.telstra.com/smtp.bigpond.com server from one of the computers on my LAN. The symptoms are:

1. One of my computers has no problems, but outgoing email stopped working a week ago on another.
  2. Both run the same OS (Fedora Linux), the same email client (Thunderbird), and the same outgoing server settings.
  3. I deleted the Thunderbird config directory to rule out an account settings corruption problem. No change.
  4. Changing to the Gmail SMTP server works fine.
  5. I've tried all permutations of server addresses and authentication parameters. No change.

So the Telstra server must be rejecting email from just this computer for some reason.

If I knew the meaning of OB301, I could try to fix it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Greg18
Level 6: Bloodhound
Accepted Solution

Re: Outgoing server (SMTP) error. The server responded: HELO/EHLO rejected. OB301

@Ode wrote:

No response from Telstra yet (they don't support Thunderbird! Even on Windows!?).

But thanks for letting me know that it may be a Thunderbird issue. The computer having the problem has the latest 45.8.0 version of Thunderbird, while the one that doesn't runs an earlier version. I'll see if I can find a later working version.

ok dude , do this, change your localhost name. mine was

our engineering team have had a look at that crowdsupport article and checked the servers. They believe this error is due to a local setup (on your end) using one of the following default hostnames of “localhost.localdomain” which is default linux setup. Our antispam filters are configured to block that domain as we were seeing millions of SMTP auth spam attempts using this invalid domain. I've just tested the my BigPond email address on the latest version of Thunderbird, on a Windows 2007 PC and was able to send mail with no errors. - Ben

so i changed it, an now works as expected YaY

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
joseag
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Outgoing server (SMTP) error. The server responded: HELO/EHLO rejected. OB301

I have the same error.  What has changed to cause this?

Ode

I've submitted this to Bigpond tech support, and will update here when I get a reply.

Greg18

i get the same problem, with Thunderbird only Smiley Sad , if i use another email client, it works
Greg18

@Ode wrote:

I've submitted this to Bigpond tech support, and will update here when I get a reply.

i'd love to know what they say cause i myself get the same error message , but only in Thunderbird, an afaik Bigpond dont support Thunderbird ( from what iv'e been told by Telstra on Twitter ) iv'e resorted to using a different email client such as Linux OpenSource Client, Evolution Mail that works with Exchange

Ode

No response from Telstra yet (they don't support Thunderbird! Even on Windows!?).

But thanks for letting me know that it may be a Thunderbird issue. The computer having the problem has the latest 45.8.0 version of Thunderbird, while the one that doesn't runs an earlier version. I'll see if I can find a later working version.

Greg18
Accepted Solution

@Ode wrote:

ok dude , do this, change your localhost name. mine was

our engineering team have had a look at that crowdsupport article and checked the servers. They believe this error is due to a local setup (on your end) using one of the following default hostnames of “localhost.localdomain” which is default linux setup. Our antispam filters are configured to block that domain as we were seeing millions of SMTP auth spam attempts using this invalid domain. I've just tested the my BigPond email address on the latest version of Thunderbird, on a Windows 2007 PC and was able to send mail with no errors. - Ben

so i changed it, an now works as expected YaY

View solution in original post

Ode

Thanks man, changing the hostname away from localhost.localdomain worked!

Unfortunately, we suffer because Linux servers are the favourite tool of spammers. Most Linux desktops won't have the hostname configured, so it wasn't a nice way to hinder them.

I suppose you got through to Telstra via chat. I haven't received an email response after a week.

Cas-Ra
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Ode I'm sorry you haven't received a response from Tech Support as yet, but this sounds like it may be outside of  general support boundaries for our in-house team. I'm glad you've found a solution on the Crowd though Smiley Happy 

Hi Greg18, thanks for updating the thread with your results, this will be helpful I'm sure this will come in handy for other members Smiley Happy

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

joseag
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks Greg18

Your solution worked for me. Smiley Happy

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit