MikeH01
Level 2: Rookie

Outlook won’t accept e mail address and password

Outlook or Windows mail will not allow me to set up my secondary e mail address as an account. Password and e mail address work fine in web mail but not accepted in Outlook or windows. Recently started using Office 365. Accepts primary e mail account fine but not the secondary. Checked all the imap settings multiple times, all ok. Very puzzled.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Outlook won’t accept e mail address and password

Telstra/Bigpond accounts in email clients like Outlook, have an inordinate amount of trouble it seems.. personally I haven't experienced it but I think I am just lucky to not be on one of the problem servers..

Some info is available here..  

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/how-to/set-up-outlook

then click on the What IMAP, POP, SMTP..  link/button

I personally think IMAP is better then POP email..  but that is just how I roll - I don't keep email on the Telstra servers, I download it with clients on different devices and IMAP is good at synchronising those devices. Once I have the emailin my client (Outlook or GMail) I can manage it myself, sort it, save it, archive it and back it up as I wish.

A couple of things that might help..

1. When setting up the email account, use the server that matches the domain of the email account you have.  If you  have your.email,account@telstra.com then use the imap/pop/smtp.telstra.com server and if it is a bigpond email, replace the telstra with bigpond  

2. Increase the server timeout period

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit