Kazzann
Level 1: Cadet

Pop.telstra.com not responding -mail server

I can only access email from webmail. Everytime i try to login via my mailbox ,it comes up with pop.telstra.com not responding . Have called telstra a couple of times and they say because i can access webmail they cant help me from here with the issue on my device.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Pop.telstra.com not responding -mail server

The pop.testra.com is working okay on my email account. Was it working before? Have you set up your email client correctly as per settings below?

Incoming server details

• Incoming server address: pop.telstra.com
  • Incoming server port: 995
  • Encrypted connection: SSL

Outgoing server details

• Outgoing server address: smtp.telstra.com
  • Outgoing server port: 465 (recommended) or 587
  • Authentication: Yes
  • Encrypted connection: SSL/TLS on port 465 (recommended) or STARTTLS on port 587

Username & Password

• User name: Your Telstra email address - ending in ‘@bigpond.com’, ‘@bigpond.net.au’ or ‘@telstra.com.’
  • Password: Your Telstra email account password – REMEMBER it’s case sensitive.

Other settings to check:

• Make sure ‘Outgoing server requires authentication’ is ticked

Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

I use IMAP to access my Telstra Mail account (on my iPhone) and it works using both the native Mail app and the Gmail app. You could consider a similar setup.

Kazzann

 thankyou,  i tried to use imap but this is the message i got 

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

With Telstra, IMAP and POP flavours of the account use the same server smtp.telstra.com

Like the others, my bigpond/Telstra accounts are working fine - I use POP and IMAP..

Can you access that email account, using the same credentials, via Webmail?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Dowser

The OP said in their 1st post “I can access webmail”.

Steve, does the idea of verifying an account ring bell with you?.

The concept was mentioned in a previous thread, however when I asked about how it was achieved the explanation provided by the poster was unclear.

SteveW_52

Yes @Dowser I read that in the OP first post, the key to my comment is "using the same credentials". The reason I asked that specifically was a recent poster wasn't paying attention when they typed the credentials in and capitalisation was applied to the first letter ...  and I think that was the same person that raised the verification issue but not 100% sure...  I thought at the time it was just a change in the message test somewhere along the line..

My Telstra/Bigpond emails just work and have done for many years, on all sorts of devices - touch wood, I escaped all the server mail issues..  and I am in the process right now of migrating those accounts off Telstra..

Stevo 52
Kazzann

Hi Steve

Yes same credentials to access my webmail so its all very strange.

SteveW_52

Not really so strange when it involves Telstra email ..  🙂

A recent poster here had similar problems, which turned out to be a case of automatic capitalisation on the user name..  so double check that. 

Also, is it the email address giving you the trouble, the same one you use for your Telstra ID/Account access? Does that work OK?

While I have experienced any of the serve connection issues that other Telstra users have had with Telstra/Bigpond accounts, I have been progressively moving email accounts from Telstra to other providers - GMail and Outlook in my case. Now I only have two accounts with the big T...  🙂

Stevo 52
Dowser

I suspect that account verification is the stumbling block.

I found the following on the subject, it could be worth trying:

How to validate your email address:

To verify your email address, open the email from Telstra and click on the ‘Verify my email’ link to complete the process.

If you want to update your email address, you can do so via My Account or chat now to request a verification to be sent to your specified email address.

Source

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit