Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

POP3 and IMAP

Answered

Firstly, I am not tech savvy not IT literate. I have a bigpond.net.au email address. Some of my emails appear on my tablet but not on my notebook. Some disappear and I haven't read them! Is it s 'server' issue? POP3 or IMAP? (whatever that means)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: POP3 and IMAP

You should set up all your email clients to use the same server type.

With POP3 the emails are downloaded to the email client and then deleted from the server after a certain period of time (7, 14, 28 or 72 days). Deleting of emails after a set period can be disabled in the email client. When you delete an email on the client it is not deleted on the server. If you create and send an email a copy is only kept on the local email client.

With IIMAP emails are synchronised accross all email clients and the server. If you delete an email on one devices it is deleted on the server and all other devices that use IMAP. If you send an email a copy will appear on all the devices that use IMAP when the next synchronise.

The problem with using both POP3 and IMAP is that when the POP3 client deletes the emails from server after a certain period of time they also get deleted on the clients using IMAP.. This can be fixed by setting the POP3 email clients not to delete emails from server after a certain period of time has passed.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

You should set up all your email clients to use the same server type.

With POP3 the emails are downloaded to the email client and then deleted from the server after a certain period of time (7, 14, 28 or 72 days). Deleting of emails after a set period can be disabled in the email client. When you delete an email on the client it is not deleted on the server. If you create and send an email a copy is only kept on the local email client.

With IIMAP emails are synchronised accross all email clients and the server. If you delete an email on one devices it is deleted on the server and all other devices that use IMAP. If you send an email a copy will appear on all the devices that use IMAP when the next synchronise.

The problem with using both POP3 and IMAP is that when the POP3 client deletes the emails from server after a certain period of time they also get deleted on the clients using IMAP.. This can be fixed by setting the POP3 email clients not to delete emails from server after a certain period of time has passed.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks for your solution (?) So should I have a POP3 or an IMAP?

Highlighted

Its up to you as to whether you use POP3 or IMAP. If you want emails synchronized across all devices use IMAP. POP3 is more secure as if emails are accidently deleted from the server or on one device they will still be available on all other devices. It has happened that a fault on one device or the server has deleted all emails on all the devices that used IMAP.

You could use POP3 on one device and IMAP on all the others. If you do this make sure the client using POP3 is set to never delete emails from the server.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit