TrevB
Level 2: Rookie

pop3 stopped working

I've had a me@bigpond.com slash me@telstra.com account for 20 years and used regularly. For 2 decades I have accessed it via pop3 using both Mailwasher and Outlook. It worked that way until recently and now I can't get access via either means but I can still get in via Webmail. Something has changed and it appears, repeat appears, that pop3 is no longer supported. I have not changed any settings and what I have I believe are current settings, thus... incoming pop.telstra.com, port 995 and SSL. Outgoing smtp.telstra.com, port 465 SSL. I have since tried port 587 and SSL slash TLS combos. So what worked perfectly using both Mailwasher and Outlook initially reporting some timeout errors for a few weeks, but still worked, suddenly stopped working on both. Regards, Trev

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
TrevB

Re: pop3 stopped working

My formatting has failed, dropping my paras Smiley Sad
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

@TrevB wrote:
My formatting has failed, dropping my paras Smiley Sad

Yes, my brain has to work harder to decipher it. 😂

The settings that you have listed appear to agree with those recommended  for Telstra Mail (for a POP connection to the mail server).

As a test, could you download Thunderbird (it’s free) and configure that using the recommended IMAP settings, to see if that works.

By the way, that settings page does state:

• IMAP is the recommended setting for Telstra Mail customers.
TrevB

Thanks Dowser, but... My apps and settings have not changed for years.

My conclusion is that Telstra must have changed. Before posting I had checked Telstra's advised settings and all recent info is only about IMAP.

I detest IMAP with a passion and want to continue using POP3. I am familiar with Thunderbird but I want to use MS Outlook that cost me plenty to buy.

Of course Outlook has IMAP but as I mentioned I HATE the IMAP principle.

I mentioned that I can access my Telstra email account via Webmail so the account works fine. It is only POP access that now seems denied.

Thanks for trying Dowser Smiley Happy 

Dowser

Three points:

(1) The test I suggested with Thunderbird was a test.  I did not suggest a permanent change.

(2) You mentioned that you "detest IMAP with a passion".  What is it that you think that you can do using a POP connection that cannot be done with an IMAP connection (to the mail server)?.

You have probably read on the settings page the statement:

• IMAP syncs your email with the email server. So anything you do to your emails – like reply, delete or mark as read – will be updated on all your devices

(3) What actually happens when you check for mail using Outlook on your current setup?.

TrevB

Sorry Dowser, too many other jobs yesterday so this morning my plan was to load Thunderbird on my Laptop for your IMAP testing.   That all of a sudden became redundant.

Without doing anything at all since yesterday’s failures my POP config suddenly worked first thing this morn and down came some test emails.   Telstra must have changed as I didn’t.

I have never been convinced or bothered to try and prove whether Telstra and Bigpond addresses are interchangeable.   I find mine are but don't know if that is across the board.

Yesterday I was POP3 testing with me@telstra.com but I also tried me@bigpond.com with its different mail server settings.   Neither worked.    Today both work.   Also it works without SSL and using port 110.   Today it seems far more tolerant of config permutations.

Re IMAP…  I operate on the principle of a single master data resource.  There should not be multiple active permanent storage facilities where data differences can develop or data be lost.   I have over 30 gigs of emails dating back to 1995.    These live on my master desktop.

Via batch files my master data is backed up every time I shut down my desktop and that is at least every night.   The backing up occurs to a separate internal hard drive.   I have 4 internal hard drives plus a SSD for the OS.

That auto-backing up also copies to an external hard drive that is unpowered at all times except when backing up.   So that is 2 back ups to independent devices.   On a weekly basis I include backing up to a 3rd portable hard drive that is stored in my safe.

When travelling any new data, messages, whatever that are generated on my laptop I copy to my master desktop when I get back home.

When I access emails on a smart phone I leave them on the mail server.

IMAP upsets my entire data protection principles. I don’t want multiple devices to be able to tinker with emails.   I don’t want my data or emails inaccessible when I am out in the sticks without any phone/internet signal.   I don’t want to have to download a heap of syncing data on a dodgy or slow service.   I want EVERYTHING on my laptop and/or portable hard drive so that it is immediately available irrespective of my location.  I often do lengthy email content searches of those 30+ gigs.

I am opposed to and won't use cloud services for some of the above accessibility reasons plus security issues. 

So Dowser there are a few reasons why I will only use POP3.    Perhaps there are IMAP tricks that will overcome my claimed issues but as I near 80 years of age I haven’t bothered to research same. If the IT world changes and POP3 ceases to be available then I will have to become more inventive Smiley Happy

roshirina
Support Team
Support Team

Hi TrevB. Thanks for flagging this. Our support team can give you a hand with that. To connect with them, open the MyTelstra app, tap Get Help, then Email. Let me know how you go.  - Glenn

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

You seem to have only a partial understanding of how IMAP works. Some of your assumptions are just plain wrong, especially around your belief that there is a heap of syncing data that is required. Or that your data or emails would be inaccessible without phone or internet signal - a copy still resides on your device regardless.

Your backup system is only accomplishes one aspect of the purpose of a backup - single point failure of a hard drive - where is your offsite storage in case you have a catastrophic failure at home (eg a fire or flood)?

Having to copy information that you generate when away from home is not required with IMAP, it will already be there waiting for you. Far less likely to get lost or corrupted.

The methods that you are using today are what I was using over 20 years ago and are quite outdated and considered poor practice.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
TrevB

Thank you Jupiter and given my age perhaps being 20 years behind the times is both understandable and forgivable. My closing para implied same.

Because I was unable to use character highlighting in this forum I could not emphasise my first and most critical point… I don’t want multiple devices to be able to tinker with emails. Another aspect I didn’t mention was IMAPs default ‘folder for each email account’. Another aspect I have not researched but I believe there are remedies for this bloody annoying feature.

I have over 550 unique email addresses that I have created and handed out to my various contacts. I do this so that I can identify a spam source and quickly dump that address. By this means spam is a rarity for me. I don’t use spam filters in case important mail is missed.

The majority of the above 550+ addresses funnel into a handful of real accounts. Also at times I have to spoof about 20% of these 550+ when there is a need to reply. I want a single Inbox and single Sent box and that is not default IMAP.

You asked about catastrophic failure of my master PC when away. I explained about 3 back-up hard drives. One internal, one a mains powered external and the third USB powered portable. When away the powered external drive is stored in a 150kg safe bolted to the floor of a 40 foot steel container that resides about 50 feet from the house and impervious to a house or terrain fire. We live on acres. Flooding is impossible due terrain. The USB powered drive is taken with me.

What I consider my most critical data (total limited to 15 gigs) is selectively uploaded to my own private domains.

Having to copy data from when away for up to 3 months is very easy and quick. Mostly it is photos, Word and Excel. For emails I just open the laptop Outlook Main PST file networked from my master PC and copy Inbox, Sent and Drafts. Takes a few seconds for each.

Jupiter thank for your comments but you are battling with ‘old dog new tricks’ and I am a control freak. Also springing to mind is ‘if it ain’t broke don’t fix it Smiley Happy

Jupiter

Unfortunately your "critical point" is also flawed. POP3 doesn't prevent multiple devices from being able to tinker with emails. It is just as easy to screw up your mail server using POP3.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
JoJoH
Support Team
Support Team

I hope this will help you find the settings that you need: https://tel.st/webv2 

I have also included the most common one for windows 10 https://tel.st/qrcwz 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

TrevB

Two of us have 5 devices (4 mobiles and 1 Tablet) between us. I have configured them all exactly the same to read all mailboxes but leave a copy on the mail server.  Aren’t all emails safe until actioned by the dedicated mail server interrogation device (home master PC or travelling laptop)?

If IMAP any accidental or deliberate deletion means no device has it. Is this not correct Jupiter?

Jupiter

They way you have it set up, it should be safe. However, I have seen firmware updates (hello Apple) change the POP3 settings and BAM, bye bye emails.

Yes, you are correct. With IMAP, a change on one device will be replicated on all devices. But it also allows for sent items to replicate across devices, so I can see all my email chain across all my devices. I have rules in place on my primary machine that takes copies of emails as they arrive and back them up to cloud storage (with their own redundancy) to reduce the risk of lost messages (been bitten before by various problems).

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit