Mal59
Level 1: Cadet

Primary email has been hijacked

Answered

Hi due to a Email program no longer being supported a virus got in and has hijacked my primary email address and is changing passwords on all sites where the email address is used as a username, I've managed to get into some of the more important ones and rechange the password and change the username to a gmail address, I have deleted the email program and currently have no way of receiving emails that go to that address, would I still be able to use that email address if I install another program or would I have to have another email address and how would I go about changing it ? It is a shame because I've had this address for over 20 years and is going to be a nightmare to remember and change so many sites that know my email 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Primary email has been hijacked

You can still use the email, you just need to change your passwords on those sites. Whoever got hold of your email address and password may not have got it by a virus, they may have also got it from published data breaches with other services.

Check https://haveibeenpwned.com/ to see if your email address has been listed.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Jupiter
Accepted Solution

Re: Primary email has been hijacked

You can still use the email, you just need to change your passwords on those sites. Whoever got hold of your email address and password may not have got it by a virus, they may have also got it from published data breaches with other services.

Check https://haveibeenpwned.com/ to see if your email address has been listed.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit