dennyj
Level 1: Cadet

Problem with Sending & Receiving emails from non-Telstra email address using Telstra as isp

I've been having the problem below for about 5 or 6 days now, have Telstra "done something" ? I am a Telstra Small Business customer and for almost 20 years I have managed to operate 2 independant email acounts succesfully using Outlook, )curently on MS365) using Telstra/Bigpond as my sole isp. One of my email accounts is a "Bigpond" account, the other is from an overseas company ("MWeb"). I've always kept them both as POP accounts. For the MWeb account, I have always used the incoming mail server settings provided by MWeb, but for outgoing mails I always used the smtp settings for Telstra POP email. Since about last Thursday or Friday I have been unable to send or receive emails to/from my MWeb email account. I have spoken with MWeb overseas who confirmed nothing wrong from their side. I have spoken to Telstra Business Support who can't/won't help, saying "we don't offer help on 3rd pary email accounts" and "we no longer support Outlook unless you are prepared to pay for Platinum service" 8-( I have deleted the MWeb email account and tried to set up from fresh - double checking for correct password and settings - but no luck. I ran a "repair" on MS365 but no luck. The stange thing is I have both of these email accounts set up on my mobile phone and do not have any problem. I like to think that I'm reasonably savvy with this stuff but I am at a loss as to what to do next - any help greatly appreciated. It's frustrating that I feel locked-in to Telstra.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Problem with Sending & Receiving emails from non-Telstra email address using Telstra as isp

What outgoing server do you have set?

What outgoing server port are you using? Maybe try using Port 25.

Also, you might need to look at/change the security settings for outgoing email..

That said, there are several reports of email issues in both directions using the Telstra/Bigpond servers - no guaranteed solutions available yet..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
dennyj
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Problem with Sending & Receiving emails from non-Telstra email address using Telstra as isp

I've pretty much tried all combinations, starting with the smtp settings for my Bigpond email address, which obviously work.

It's even more of a mystery because I can send MWeb emails from my Telstra mobile phone - the smtp setting on the phone are:

smtp.telstra.com

Seccurity type = SSL

Port = 465

RequiresAuthentification = OFF

I try these settings in Outlook and they are not accepted. I've had advice to uninstall the complate MS Office suite and do a clean re-install.

Just about to try it.

CKeetly
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Let us know what the outcome is of doing deleting and clean re-installing the MS office suite is, it'd be great to see this get fixed up.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit