BrayParkUser
Level 4: Private Eye

"Too Many Requests" with Bigpond email

After wasting two days with online support I'll try my luck here.  I'm getting the same problem as this one here - https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/home-broadband/problem-accessing-email-account/m-p/926487#M10...

I have a personal account but routing all of my network via a VPN, this apparently makes me a spammer or similar to Telstra's mail servers as it blocks my IP.  I've tried opening up ports 465 and 993 on the router so that they bypass the VPN but that doesn't work either.

Has anyone using a VPN been able to get around this issue?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: "Too Many Requests" with Bigpond email

Opening ports on your router isn't going to bypass the VPN as it puts all the traffic in a tunnel until it reaches the VPN server.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
BrayParkUser

I should have worded that differently, by opening ports I mean changing firewall rules (in pfsense) so that 465 and 993 go straight to WAN instead of via the VPN.

Jupiter

PFsense is just a firewall. Putting a port forwarding rule into there still wouldn't stop the traffic going through the VPN. The rule would need to be placed into the VPN connection itself.

I suspect that the IP address that your VPN provider uses has been blocked due to a number of Telstra Mail users trying to access their mail through it, tripping the time based counter that the rule on the server uses to indicate potential fraudulent activity or hacking attempts.

That is one of the downsides of VPNs. It may obscure your origins, but it can also cause access problems due to the small number of public facing IP addresses that they use.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
BrayParkUser

That is the way I have done it, traffic to those ports get directed to WAN rather than the VPN interface.  Woke up this morning and it is back working again, so that may have fixed it, we shall see.

Yes, I agree with you that it is the VPN that is causing it, but considering the amount of people that use these now for a variety of reasons Telstra may need to reconsider their policy.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit