RexMonkey
Level 3: Gumshoe

Reactivating a BigPond Mailbox

Answered

I have my own domain name and use my BigPond mailbox only for outbound email via SMTP. This stopped working a few days ago and Outlook (O365) constantly asks for my user name and password.

I logged onto Webmail via My Telstra to confirm the credentials were OK and was redirected to the link below which said my mailbox has been deactivated due to non usage for 180 days. An error message flashes up briefly before the redirect but I am unable to read what it says before it disappears.

The link suggests I can reactivate the mailbox by contacting Telstra via the chat but before I do that I would like to know what might have caused the deactivation and what steps need to be taken to resolve it.

Can anyone clarify:

1. How can I confirm what caused the deactivation? It is a bit suspicious that it occurred on the one year anniversary of transferring my ADSL & home phone from iPrimus to Telstra. Actually, to be more correct, it is the one year anniversary of STARTING that transfer. It took 37 days for the transfer to be completed. 😞

2. Is accessing the mailbox via SMTP not enough to satisfy the 180 day non usage rule? I don't get any mail at this address so I never bothered logging into webmail or downloading messages to Outlook.

3. What is required to reactivate the mailbox?

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/manage/inactive-mailbox?status=deleted

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RexMonkey
Accepted Solution

Re: Reactivating a BigPond Mailbox

Hi @Jupiter, it took me a few attempts on the Telstra chat but I eventually found someone who was able to reactivate the mailbox. My advice to anyone facing the same issue is to be persistent. 

Answering my initial questions for anyone reading this in the future...

1. How can I confirm what caused the deactivation?
Nobody on the support chat knew for sure. The 180 day idle limit mentioned in the redirect doesn't stack up with my experience so I am assuming it was 365 days after the mailbox being created.

2. Is accessing the mailbox via SMTP not enough to satisfy the 180 day non usage rule?
Clearly it isn't. I will move my outbound email to use my domain hosting provider's SMTP server.

Persistence. But, based on Jupiter's comments, I assume Telstra's policy on de-activated mailbox has changed so perhaps I just got lucky?

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

It is most likely the 180 day non-usage rule that has caused the deactivation as I would be assuming that you are actually sending email from your Domain through the Telstra SMTP server and not from your Telstra email address itself (hence it won't be counted as usage).

Deactivated Telstra Mail accounts can't be reactivated (since September 2020).

If you have your own domain, and it has it's own mail server, why aren't you using that to send your email?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
RexMonkey

Hi @Jupiter,

Correct, I send email via smtp.telstra.com.

I previously used my hosting provider to send & receive email but they constantly had SMTP issues so I swapped to my ISP for outbound. That was iPrimus and when I switched to Telstra I continued with that model.

I will go back to using my hosting service’s SMTP. Hopefully reliability has improved.

RexMonkey
Accepted Solution

Hi @Jupiter, it took me a few attempts on the Telstra chat but I eventually found someone who was able to reactivate the mailbox. My advice to anyone facing the same issue is to be persistent. 

Answering my initial questions for anyone reading this in the future...

1. How can I confirm what caused the deactivation?
Nobody on the support chat knew for sure. The 180 day idle limit mentioned in the redirect doesn't stack up with my experience so I am assuming it was 365 days after the mailbox being created.

2. Is accessing the mailbox via SMTP not enough to satisfy the 180 day non usage rule?
Clearly it isn't. I will move my outbound email to use my domain hosting provider's SMTP server.

Persistence. But, based on Jupiter's comments, I assume Telstra's policy on de-activated mailbox has changed so perhaps I just got lucky?

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit