Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Recover POP 3 emails

Last week I couldn't open emails in Windows Live Mail on my POP3 but I could see them in the Telstra Web mail. - I kept getting an error message saying low disk space even though my C drive has 65% free.  I created new IMAP account to transfer emails over but all of the emails I had in my inbox now show the message "The contents of this message cannot be found".  How do I recover them? 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Recover POP 3 emails

Instead of using Windows Live Mail have you tried using another email client such as Thunderbird or the built in windows 10 email client app "Mail". The windows live email client is no longer supported by Microsoft and is outdated.

Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Mailspring isn't bad either..  a bit minimalist but that isn't a bad thing..  

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Highlighted

Did you delete the emails from the server when you downloaded them? If not they will still be there to download on another client. If you did, then don't delete the ones that won't open at present - you might be able to export/import them to another email client  when it is installed and setup.. 

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Highlighted

Hi Steve - I have started a new account on Windows 10 mail and exported most of my stored emails to that one.   Unfortunately some of the emails were stored under folders in the inbox and they're the ones that won't open and most importantly they're the ones I need Smiley Sad  I did a restore point then deleted and reinstalled Windows Live Mail and reset up my account.  That didn't work so I restored to before I deleted it.  I was unaware until this problem that Windows Live Mail was no longer supported so tried to set up an account in Outlook but that wouldn't even let me create my IMAP account.  I'm not a fan of the Window 10 mail program so would prefer to use Outlook.

Highlighted

Hmmm I think my pop3 was set to remove from the server once they downloaded.  I haven't deleted the ones that won't open though.

Highlighted

Yep I wasn't aware that Windows Live wasn't supported anymore until I started Googling for solutions.  I did set up a Windows 10 account but I don't like that program much, probably because I've been using the other one for so long.  I tried to set up on Outlook but that wouldn't accept my IMAP settings for some reason.

Highlighted

On Outlook, were you getting any error messages or just the Something went wrong?

You could try a repair on Outlook (Windows 10)..  from control panel | programs and features, right click on Office / outlook /365 and click on change then repair - start with a Quick Repair, if that doesn't work, do the full on line repair..

Also look for an remnants a failed install of the account - like a pst/ost file with that name..

You could also try Thunderbird or Mailspring to see if they'll get to your account..  

Stevo 52
Highlighted

You might also want to try and save your Live Mail email store - it's usually at   C:\Users\yourlogonname\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail  so you can save or copy the files to some other location then uninstall Live Mail..  just in case there is something there causing the problem..

I'm with you on Windows Mail app..  I recommend people to try Thunderbird or MailSpring rather tha use Windows Mail...  I have never had a problem setting up an account in Outlook, so I wonder if there is something going on with the Telstra mail server...  sre you setting up the account in Outlook automatically or manually?

Also, try doing a restart as you uninstall and reinstall etc..  that way the installation might get finalised and cleaned up a bit each time..

Stevo 52

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit