GRG1
Level 3: Gumshoe

Reinstating deleted email address

Hello,

I am trying to help an elderly lady acquaintance access her email which we think has been deleted.

Here is the background.

A lady in her 80s had a bigpond email address at home for several years now but due to the loss of her last surviving close relative had to move into an aged care facility in April 2021. One of her distant relatives or friends seems to have then canceled her Telstra broadband account at home with out realising that her bigpond email account was connected to that account. So she can't access her email anymore.

She has a new personal Telstra home phone in the aged care facility now, but no Telstra broadband. She can however use the aged care facilities free Wifi.

Due to Covid restrictions she is in isolation in the aged care facility and she badly wants to have her email backs as that was her main means of keeping in touch with people in other parts of Australia and other countries. Unfortunately she does not use (or know how to use) social media. She is also not highly computer literate.

So wanted to know

- Can she get her old email address back and if so how

- Who can help her with the process ? Can Telstra contact her for account verification and helping her with this process

I can help in whatever way I can but am not allowed to enter the aged care facility due to Covid restrictions

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Reinstating deleted email address

As it is less than 12 months since the service was cancelled, the email might still be available, have you tried using Webmail to access it? You need the account name and password of course. If that works it is still there, but Telstra will need to be contacted to arrange a seperate billing process for the email account. Not sure if you could tack it on the her Telstra home phone - a visit to a Telstra store would probably be better than the online support to check that out.

However, if the account was cancelled, the email address has probably been cancelled as well.And all the previous data will be gone as well, including contacts etc.  You might be able to get Telstra to reinstate the account and dat but it will take some effort.

Telstra are no longer issuing email addresses, so I would suggest it  might be easier to create a new account at gmail or outlook etc. How will she access the email - PC/tablet/mobile? What ever that is, the available email app might be the easiest way to set up the new account. Given the difficulties people have with Telstra email anyway, going with a seperate email provider is likely to be the best option.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
GRG1

Yes tried Webmail. Could not access the email. Tried sending a test email to that email address. It bounced back with error message "Recipient does not exist".. It does look like the account might have been canceled.

Not sure if any Telstra stores are open but even if they are, I can't go to one as there is no store within 5 kms of my home.

She accesses her email on a laptop. She only knows bigpond email and how to access it on her laptop. Any changes to that set up eg new email provider/new email address/new email app is going to be a challenge for her. There is no IT support in the aged care facility and nobody from outside are allowed inside.

Was hoping someone from Telstra could respond here.

SteveW_52

This is CrowdSupport, mostly customers like you  Smiley Happy   someone from Telstra might happen by and be able to help you, but I wouldn't hold your breath!

I also support a number of people in aged care and it is a challenge,  my approach in setting up a new account is:

1. Create a new account with as close to the original user name (without the domain) as possible..

2. In the email client set up the account and name it like the original address (the inner workings are not usually visible to the user).

3. Selecting an email client is often the hardest bit, trying to find one that is close to the clunky Telstra Webmail interface is the hard part - GMail in a browser might be the best. Other than that the Windows 10 (not sure what OS is being used) Mail app is fairly basic and un-complicated but may not have all the layout options.

I generally find with older people that a bigger change is often the best approach, because some that looks and feels like the old 'system' might have detail changes and nuances that 'throw' the user more. But finding the right the compromise can be tricky. I have tried several email clients in such cases, there isn't one that suits every user..  other than the Outlook one, in my experience but I have usually found something the user can manage. Keeping the setup simple is part of that.

Stevo 52
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

You could use a remote access app such as TeamViewer to remotely configure the laptop. It’s free for non commercial usage.

You could then walk the lady through using a new email address (if that is the end case) over the phone.

GRG1

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions Steve. I would have had a lot more options available had I been able to go into the aged care facility even for a short time. But that is not possible now.

Anyway she agreed to me try setting up a new gmail account for her. I will give it a go and see how it goes.

GRG1

Thanks Dowser. I did try that option too. She does not have TeamViewer installed on her laptop and she could not download and install it inspite of my best possible guidance.

SteveW_52

You could get a courier to pick it up from the reception area maybe? I have used that in the lockdowns up here in Brisbane, when the job was urgent..  I have also picked up myself - just got them to leave it outside - returned the devices the same way...

Stevo 52
GRG1

Thanks guys.

We did it . It took 2 hours but finally we managed to setup her gmail account and she is up and running. What a determined 85 year old lady. She did not want to give up till she got it.

I will sign off now. Thank you all once again.

Dowser

I am glad that you have achieved your goal of functioning email.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit