Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

SMTP connection failed (outgoing)

Answered

I have recently connected to Telstra NBN, and am trying to setup the "Send to email" on my printer. I have entered the outgoing SMTP settings that Telstra's help pages advise:

smtp.telstra.com

Port: 465  (have also tried 587)

I am using my bigpond.com email address that Telstra assigned, and the password - which I can confirm is correct because I can login to Webmail.

Whenever I do a "test connection" on the printer, it says "Failed to connect". 
General internet access on the printer is working. The outgoing email was working with our previous provider (of course with their details).

Is there something that could be disabling this access for Telstra Residential NBN Customers? 

Thanks in advance, 
Emily

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: SMTP connection failed (outgoing)

I have figured it out. In addition to the above, I needed to update my DNS settings for the printer. They were still pointing to the old ISP, not Telstra.

Interestingly though, the Primary DNS and Secondary DNS that Tesltra publish on their Telstra DNS page did not both work (only 1), so I checked my modem's records and used those instead - both of which are different to the published Telstra one.

Now it successfully connects to the SMTP server. Smiley Happy

Hope this can help someone else in the future too.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

What model printer are you using? Have you set the to Encrypt connection using SSL/TLS?

Highlighted

It is a Ricoh MP C3004 (https://support.ricoh.com/bb_v1oi/pub_e/oi_view/0001062/0001062260/view/netsys/int/0083.htm)

"Use SSL" is set to "On". Authenticate SMTP is set to "Yes". 

Encrypt is set to "Auto". I have also tried setting to "Yes" and it doesn't work either.

We are not using POP before SMTP. 

Says "Failed to connect to server."

I didn't have a problem when setting it up two years ago with our previous provider.

Thanks, 
Emily

Highlighted

Try setting SMTP port to 25 and SSL to off.

Still no luck. :'( 

Switched it back to SSL / 465, and still not working on that either.

I have to leave the office for the day now, but I will be back tomorrow morning and can keep fiddling with it again. I might try setting it up in our Outlook, to confirm the SMTP outgoing works in Outlook.

I had also tried the old mail.bigpond.com just in case, as well as smtp.telstra.com.au just in case. Neither worked, unsurprisingly. 

Usually I'm fairly good with hardware/software, but I'm stumped on this one.

Highlighted

I have been able to set it up in Outlook to send emails successfully using the SLL SMTP settings, so perhaps something quirky is going on with the Printer Software. I will contact Ricoh. 

Thanks for your help with troubleshooting ideas. Smiley Happy 

Emily

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

I have figured it out. In addition to the above, I needed to update my DNS settings for the printer. They were still pointing to the old ISP, not Telstra.

Interestingly though, the Primary DNS and Secondary DNS that Tesltra publish on their Telstra DNS page did not both work (only 1), so I checked my modem's records and used those instead - both of which are different to the published Telstra one.

Now it successfully connects to the SMTP server. Smiley Happy

Hope this can help someone else in the future too.

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit