Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Suddenly downloading old emails??

I use Outlook for Mac, with an old bigpond (POP3) email address. I have it set to leave a copy on the server until I delete from my computer, because I also download the same emails on my iphone. Suddenly today, when I open Outlook it is re-downloading 4000 old emails dating back to 2017! I started deleting, but it's started downloading them again. Emails on my phone are working fine. I cant' access them through webmail. Is this something caused by bigpond email servers?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Suddenly downloading old emails??

Yes, it's a side-effect of the upgrades.

btw, if you set all your device up to use IMAP, they will all remain synchornised and you don't have to worry about which device you are using, they'll all see the same thing.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Am having the same issue. Is the upgrade still in progress? Will the duplicate download issue be resolved when the upgrade is complete or is the only solution to migrate to IMAP?

Highlighted

I’m still having the same issue. Very annoying. 

Highlighted

The outage is still in progress and the issue should disappear when the upgrade is complete.

IMAP isn't the solution to the problem, but works better when you are using multiple devices to access the same email account.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Thank you.... do you know if there is an ETA on the upgrade completion?

Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

I am having the same issue. What upgrades are you referring to? When I spoke to Telstra today they seemed to imply that the problem was the Outlook for Mac client. I don't believe this is true since I have been using Outlook for ages without issue. Could it be that the messages are being downloaded, repeatedly in my case, because the server has marked them as unread, probably due to something happening at the Telstra end?

I have stopped syncing for now. I have changed my pop server to imap, but I am too scared to restart syncing because I don't know what effect this will have on my current outlook messages.

Do you have any advice about how Outlook might behave once I start syncing again?

BTW my iphone mail is working perfectly fine.

Highlighted

I have exactly the same problem - would love to know how you solve it. I spoke to Telstra today who said it was an Outlook problem which I don't believe is true. I've just stopped syncing for now and am only using my phone. I'll let you know if I figure it out.

Highlighted
Level 9: Captain

@DLR wrote:

BTW my iphone mail is working perfectly fine.

Is that the Apple mail app?.

Is it set to use IMAP?.

Highlighted

It's Outlook for Mac. It's set to pop but I have always used it that way, I know that imap is recommended, but I manage it using my iphone set to imap. So I download on the mac, and delete on the iphone. This is how I have been doing it for years with no problem.

But the issue seems to be the server itself - it is not deleting any messages. Signing in to web mail usually fails due to timing out so I can't even access the messages that way.

I want to know how to stop downloading all the server messages again - even if I change settings to imap in outlook, it will download everything again because the server keeps showing all the messages as unread.

Highlighted

DLR, why not just set Outlook to IMAP and then let the download ‘run’ until it synchronises?.

Highlighted

I will end up with double copies of emails that have already been downloaded from 18 months ago. I deleted these from Outlook when it first happened a couple of weeks ago. And then it happened again. So I stopped syncing. I changed to imap, and they started downloading yet again and I wasn't prepared to keep deleting these emails as it is a laborious process. For some reason the emails are staying on the server even if I delete them from my phone which is set to imap.

I was hoping to delete them from the web based mailbox, but they are not loading properly due to a problem with the server that has been going on for weeks, and which is probably the source of my issues.

Highlighted

If your phone is set to IMAP and you deleted the emails on there then it is likely that they were deleted on the server too.

Highlighted

Not the old ones. It's so weird, there are messages from March 2019 on the server.

What I think I might try is to move my Outlook messages out of the inbox into a folder. Then I will change to imap and sync with the server which will dump 2000 old messages into the inbox. Then I will delete them all (except the last few weeks). That "should" delete them from the server. Do you think this will work?

Highlighted

DLR,

You could try that, or my previous suggestion.

I doubt either will result in World War 3 commencing!.  Smiley Happy

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit