ELKY
Level 4: Private Eye

Telsta Mail inbox management rules not working; how can this be fixed?

I'm getting bombarded with numerous phishing or otherwise suspect emails, some of which have the words 'Automatic reply' or 'Reponse automatique' in the subject heading. I've set up inbox management rules which should cause emails with these words included in their subject headings to be permanently deleted, but this has had no effect. Any help in resolving this problem would be appreciated. Blocking the senders isn't effective either, because the source addresses keep changing. I'd alter my (primary) email address to escape this continual stream of dodgy incoming mail, but I believe that with Telstra the only way of doing so is to close my account and open a new one, which seems needlessly cumbersome.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
32 REPLIES 32
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Telsta Mail inbox management rules not working; how can this be fixed?

You could apply such rules in an email client app such as Microsoft Outlook, configured to connect to the Telstra Mail server.

You can find the recommended server settings on the page https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/set-up/imap-pop-and-smtp-information-for-manual-em...

You will see therein the recommendation 

• IMAP is the recommended setting for Telstra Mail customers.
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

If you closed your account in order to get a new Telstra Mail email address, then you would be disappointed as Telstra Mail isn't accepting the creation of new email addresses any more.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
abthomp
Level 14: Field Agent

Precisely the same issue at present.

I've added spam e-mails to my Blocked Senders in Webmail and yet they are not being sent to Junk. 

abthomp

Further to this and the OP's post that Inbox Rules aren't being applied in Webmail I have raised the issue twice via Online Chat. 

Bounecd around from one person to the next from 07h00 this morning to 09h00 and then for another hour after posting the above reply.

No help at all so I've raised a Complaint.

ELKY

Many thanks for your reply.

I don't have Outlook, but if the issue I raised about the management rules on the Webmail site remains unresolved I may be tempted to acquire said app.  The email client apps I do have are Microsoft Mail (as provided with Windows 10) on both a laptop and on my old desktop computer, and on the latter I also still run Windows Live Mail 2011.  This last does have some inbox-management features, including the ability to block senders, but neither app as far as I can determine can block and automatically delete an email with specified words in the subject heading.

Incidentally, I had followed the manual procedure outlined in the link you sent to set up both my email clients to work with Telstra.  In the case of Windows Live Mail 2011, this was done back when Webmail superseded Bigpond.

ELKY

That might be because the spammers frequently change their email addresses.  I suggest you test the Webmail blocked senders feature with the aid of a friend.  Block the friend and then have them send an email to see if it gets through.  Hopefully it won't and you can then unblock them.

ELKY

I also tried the online chat option.  My session lasted 4 hours!!! in total yesterday afternoon, first with the Codi chatbot (which I found completely useless) and then with live agents, who required a great deal of tedious explanation before the issue was understood, albeit left unresolved, although in line with Dowser's input, the possibility of using Outlook (which I don't have) was alluded to.  The chat ended with an agreement to 'escalate' the matter, but I've heard nothing since and have also lodged a complaint.

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

The Window Mail app isn't great (IMO) and Windows Live Mail is no longer supported, but you can try them. Outlook is part of the Office 365 suite which is available on subscription so less up front cost, and you get other programs like Word, Excel, Powerpoint as well, which might be useful. There is probably also the option to just get Outlook..  but I haven't looked or done that.

There are other free email clients you could try - Thunderbird, MailSpring for example but you might need to get used to them, I find them not as intuitive for email, but I'm an ol' fart! and so used to Outlook it is hard to change away from it.. I pick up all my email form the relevant servers into Outlook and manage it all there - and delete it from the servers. 

You could also try are GMail etc. but I think for GMail at least, rules can only be setup against ads (so you have to enable ads to do so)..  someone here may know better?

Setting up email rules can be tricky to get right for some of the spammers - many of them are well ahead of consumers unfortunately and do know tricks to get around the rules.

As @Jupiter mentioned, Telstra are no longer providing new email addresses, so if you cancel your existing one, you won't get another from them. Your best bet would be a GMail/Hotmail/Outlook type account. Set your Telstra account to an automatic forward maybe and then delete stuff off the server...

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
ELKY

Thanks for your reply.  It is possible to get Outlook on its own (in fact I've just downloaded it to check it out), but I suspect that if one has an Office 365 subscription more features may become available.  I don't need Office 365.  If I had it I'd mainly be using Word, but I too am an oldie and despite its shortcomings have stuck with Corel's Wordperfect which I cut my word-processing teeth on a few decades ago when it was Version 5.1 and ran under DOS. 

SteveW_52

To go with the PC version, you should be able to download an Outlook app for your mobile as well..  and sync them together..

When you add your Telstra email account to Outlook be sure to use the IMAP option, however you can actually run both IMAP and POP versions of the account in the same Outlook instance, just so you can comparte the pros and cons of each..  Smiley Happy

I have a couple of PC's running DOS and old Windows Versions still, mostly for development but also supporting older programs.. some of which just won't run on the new OS's..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
abthomp

Further to this I had a chat on Thursday with the Telstra Complaints people. Their first response was - "you'll have to pay to get Telstra Platinum to look at this"

I responded that I was not going to pay to have Telstra fix a problem of their own making and she went off and spoke to someone and it's now been referred to their Network Management people..

Hopefully have some sort of response next week.

abthomp

Unfortunately it's the same e-mail addresses that keep slipping through even though Webmail seems to recognise they are on the blocked list

abthomp

Latest on this - got a phone call last night to advise me the issue had been escalated. I told the caller I was told that 5 days ago. He wasn't aware of that and told me someone would get back to me in 5 business days. Round and round in ever decreasing circles we go.

ELKY

My complaint to Telstra re the non-functional inbox-management rules on the Mail website escalated first to an exchange of emails with Jess of the Support Team and then, this afternoon, to a fee-waived phone session with Alfred from the Platinum Team.  He temporarily took over my laptop to diagnose the problem, which I'm pleased to advise he seems to have fixed, simply by changing the imap.telstra.com incoming server setting from Port 993 to 993.1.

As an aside, before the issue was corrected I found the inbox-management rules in the free web-based version of Microsoft Outlook didn't work either.   

Dowser

@ELKY wrote:

My complaint to Telstra re the non-functional inbox-management rules <snip>
He temporarily took over my laptop to diagnose the problem, which I'm pleased to advise he seems to have fixed, simply by changing the imap.telstra.com incoming server setting from Port 993 to 993.1

That’s interesting. Can you shed light on how to do that setting change?.

ELKY

I think it was done via the settings options in Microsoft Mail.  If you click first on the settings icon, then on manage accounts, on the relevant account, on change mailbox sync settings, then on advanced mailbox settings, the IMAP port number is among the data displayed and can apparently be edited.  I'm not game enough to try altering it back to 993 to see if the problem returns though, In case I inadvertently stuff up!

Dowser

@ELKY wrote:

My complaint to Telstra re the non-functional inbox-management rules on the Mail website …

Your reference to the “Mail website” made it appear that you were referring to the Telstra WebMail website.

Thank you for clarifying that you changed the “settings options in Microsoft Mail”.

ELKY

The original problem was with the Telstra Webmail website, but it was evidently fixed via the Microsoft Mail settings options.

And I should add to my previous post that after the port # I was changed, I was taken into Mail's settings again and had to re-enter the password for the account.

I'm wondering if the amendment to the port # also corrects @abthomp 's problem with the blocked senders feature not working on the Webmail site.

SteveW_52

I don't typically use the Windows Mail app (as I don't like it) but I do have a couple of email accounts set up there 'just in case'.

The accounts were set up automatically I think (ages ago) and one of them is a Bigpond account..  the incoming mail server setting there shows imap.bigpond.com:993:1  and that field can be edited in the app, including periods and colons.  Note the COLONS in the server address..  so I think that is how Windows 10 Mail displays the server detail it collects during the automatic account setup. 

In Outlook 365 though, for the same account I can't edit the incoming mail server port field with any colons or periods.. just whole numbers. Which is what I am used to anyway for email account settings

But the Telstra instructions for port setting might need updating to include the Windows 10 Mail setting?

Stevo 52
ELKY

In my case the oncoming server setting for the Win 10 Mail app is now shown as imap.telstra.com:993.1, i.e. with a decimal point instead of a colon after the 993.  But I suspect the dot and colon are interchangeable. It appears Telstra's  current advice for setting up this app is up-to-date.  See:

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/set-up/set-up-telstra-email-on-windows-mail-10

The above link also shows the outgoing server port as 465:1, not simply 465.

If memory serves me right, when Telstra discontinued Bigpond in favour of Webmail I used the manual procedure outlined in the link which @Dowser posted two weeks ago to set up my email, and that specifies only whole numbers for the ports.  So I suspect this is how the problem I experienced originally came about.

But I'd like to understand the technical reason why I could still send and receive emails perfectly OK using what were ostensibly the wrong port numbers and why it is that adding the :1 extension unlocks the inbox-management features on the Webmail site.

Dowser

The manual settings link that I provided was in the context of setting up Microsoft Outlook.

It’s likely that now that you have Windows 10 Mail functioning that it is applying the inbox rules that you have setup therein.

Using IMAP you see the effects of those changes to the inbox across the various email clients, such as Windows 10 Mail or Telstra WebMail.

ELKY

My Outlook settings show the port numbers in the link you sent, i.e without the :1 extensions and they also show  the server addresses to be at outlook.office365.com.  But the app's inbox management rules don't work.  When I click on the option to report this, a message appears stating that I've been sent an email with a diagnostic report, but no such email arrives.  Is this is all because I'm using the free web-based version of Outlook rather than running it from within the Office 365 suite, and it consequently lacks certain abilities; is it because the port numbers need amending, or is it because it should be linked to Telstra's servers?  I'm not clear on how to edit the server settings for Outlook, however, in order to find out.  When I get the chance I might try uninstalling and reinstalling the app to see if that improves matters, although now that my Telstra Webmail inbox management rules are functioning, I could easily manage without Outlook anyway.

ELKY

Further to my previous post, I do hope you didn't think I was being critical in referring to the link you had posted, because that certainly was not my intent.  The point I was making was simply that some years ago now when the switch from Bigpond to Webmail occurred and Widows 10 didn't yet exist, the settings Telstra recommended for email clients (such as the Windows Live Mail which I was running) were the same as in that link and so were what I had used at that time.

SteveW_52

As I said, I don't really use Windows Mail, so never paid a lot of attention to the setup or how it works. I did see the outgoing email server information but just didn't mention it.. and I didn't check the Telstra instructions for Windows Mail..

Telstra still supports the Bigpond email server (for the immediate future at least)..  so just get used toi the idea that Webmail and Windows 10 Mail are just ways to access your email - Webmail is a browser interface you can use from almost any device, while Windows 10 Mail is an email client, as is GMail, the Outlook, Thunderbird, Mailspring and other programmes/apps you can install as standalone, non browser ways to access email.

I don't use Webmail except to check when there are issues, but I am puzzled why setting something in Windows 10 Mail, would have any effect at all on what you see in Webmail other than the synching functions of using IMAP access.. there should be no link between your stand alone Mail and the browser based Webmail..??

Stevo 52
ELKY

@SteveW_52 wrote:

I am puzzled why setting something in Windows 10 Mail, would have any effect at all on what you see in Webmail other than the synching functions of using IMAP access.. there should be no link between your stand alone Mail and the browser based Webmail..??

IMAP is a kind of cloud arrangement with all the email traffic stored on the service-provider's server.  Cloud storage can be set up so that a number of users (analogous to synced email clients?) can open the stored files and amend the contents.  So with IMAP does this kind of arrangement not only allow Mail for Win 10 to perform such actions as opening and deleting emails on the Webmail server, but also to alter the port settings?

And it may be of interest that I have discovered that correcting the port numbers has not completely solved the problem with the Telstra Webmail inbox-management rules after all.  The screen-clip below shows one of the rules I have set up.

As you can see, this rule should cause the permanent deletion of any incoming mail with the words 'Automatic reply' in the subject heading.  And it does, provided that heading contains only text, for example 'Automatic reply and other stuff'.  But if the subject heading also includes an emoji, e.g. 'Automatic reply Heart', the email still gets through.  Scammers evidently know this, because the dodgy emails I'm trying to block always do have at least one emoji in the subject heading.

I've let the Telstra contact who was dealing with my complaint know about this loophole, and await her response.

ELKY

@ELKY wrote:

IMAP is a kind of cloud arrangement with all the email traffic stored on the service-provider's server.  Cloud storage can be set up so that a number of users (analogous to synced email clients?) can open the stored files and amend the contents.  So with IMAP does this kind of arrangement not only allow Mail for Win 10 to perform such actions as opening and deleting emails on the Webmail server, but also to alter the port settings?

This comment of mine was not well thought out and is best ignored.  Although Mail for Win 10 had been linked to it using the wrong port numbers, it is indeed hard to understand why this prevented the Webmail site from being fully functional in its own right.

abthomp

Nope tried that as soon as I saw this and e-mails from blocked senders were still staying in my webmail Inbox.

abthomp

Further to this last night I had a call from Telstra in regards Telstra Webmail not filtering out spam and not blocking blocked senders.

She told me "We've taken you off our telemarketing list so that should fix it"?????????????????

Were Telstra admitting that they are the source of spam or was this just a way of hopefulyy making me go away.

It's plain they just couldn't care less

ELKY

@abthomp wrote:

Nope tried that as soon as I saw this and e-mails from blocked senders were still staying in my webmail Inbox.

Does that mean that after you made the change new emails from blocked senders also still ended up in your inbox?

And did the change have any effect on the inbox-management-rules issue?

Changing the IMAP incoming server address for the Windows Mail app to imap.telstra.com / port 993:1 and the outgoing server to smtp.telstra.com / port 465:1 got the inbox management rule of the kind I posted last Sunday working for me on the Webmail site (provided there is no emoji in the subject heading!).  Were the rules you were trying to use intended for a different purpose than mine?

This business is a real head-scratcher!

abthomp

Yes after I made the change new e-mails from senders that are on my Webmail Block list didn't get sent to Junk but stayed in my Webmail Inbox and Outlook dealt with them when they downloaded to Outlook by putting them in my Outlook Junk Folder

I've put some rules in place in Webmail to cover various domains, subjects etc and they appear to be working but addresses that are clearly on my block list still stay in the Inbox.

As for Telstra's "We've taken you off our telemarketing list so that should fix it" it's more than a head scratcher.

ELKY

@ELKY wrote:

Changing the IMAP incoming server address for the Windows Mail app to imap.telstra.com / port 993:1 and the outgoing server to smtp.telstra.com / port 465:1 got the inbox management rule of the kind I posted last Sunday working for me on the Webmail site (provided there is no emoji in the subject heading!).

An update on this issue.

I had another session with a Telstra Platinum guy this afternoon and during which I demonstrated the failure of the rule to work when an emoji was present in the subject heading of the incoming email.  The outcome?  I was told they were unable to fix the problem and that I should simply manually delete the phishing emails as they arrived!  I was then directed to Telstra's feedback site to lodge a comment.  I did so, and one of the points I made was that Telstra ought to consider whether providing a service with a feature that doesn't function as intended might be in breach of the Australian Consumer Law.

Methinks I am tending toward @abthomp 's view about the extent to which Telstra actually cares about the problems experienced by its clients.

ELKY

Another update on my attempts to resolve one of Webmail's shortcomings with Telstra.

As I mentioned in my post a month ago, a session with one of the Platinum guys didn't resolve the issue of an inbox-management rule failing when emojis were present in the subject heading. I have now had a follow-up email from Telstra's support team which includes a statement that their Webmail "has limitations" and that it "does not have all the features that can be accessed using other mailing applications".  This rather misses the point that rather than lacking a feature, Webmail has at least one that doesn't appear to work properly.  However, I've now set up Mozilla Thunderbird to work with Telstra's email servers.  It also provides inbox-management-rule options (which it calls filters) and when I first tried these out they too seemed to be fooled by the presence of emojis in the subject heading.  I didn't get a response when I posted a query about this with the Thunderbird community, but when I ran more tests yesterday I found the app was now filtering out such emails correctly.  Anyway, I now have an email client app with more features than Windows 10 Mail and in which the mail filters do what I require of them.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit