Kjorg
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Telstra BigPond Mailboxes

Telstra has made the decision to stop growing its mailbox account base, therefore no new accounts will be able to be created via My Telstra, and new accounts are no longer offered to new customers/services.

Importantly, however – all currently active mailboxes will be unaffected by this change and support for these mailboxes will continue as normal.

If you want more information on how to managing existing accounts please click here.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
15 REPLIES 15
Rohan123
Level 19: Deputy Director

Re: Telstra BigPond Mailboxes

I sense this ending badly. How long before Telstra no longer offers support services for people with @bigpond email address. Or worse, makes them obsolete! It will affect me! and an Absolute flood of people.... 

I don't work for Telstra, Never have, I am just a Telstra customer like you.
So the advice I give is my own, In my own time, Guided by my own experience/knowledge.
Which I am always happy to be corrected on.
Rohan
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - thanks for the heads up on this new Policy Announcement. Just to clarify, does the continuation of usage also apply to to bigpond.net.au and telstra.com? 

I understand it is not possible to add a new customer bigpond.com account to a new service, but does that restriction also apply to existing  bigpond.com account owners who want to add a 'child' account under the already registered main account. I have to confess, when I was working, I saw no need for a home internet address and my wife is the registered main account holder, with me registered as the 'child' ( I can't remember the technical term) under her main account in the bigpond.com regime.  When we moved from ADSL to cable many years ago, I was assigned an additional bigpond.net.au account under my name. 

Fasuda
Level 2: Rookie

Hi, so does that mean that customers won't get any email address at all with their nbn service?. Where can I find Telstra's announcement about this?  I would really like to read in more detail.

I have spent 8 hours on the "chat" to telstra this weekend trying to get my "child" mailboxes passwords fixed because there is nolonger any access to the manage mailbox portal.

Dowser
Level 20: Director

@Fasuda wrote:

Hi, so does that mean that customers won't get any email address at all with their nbn service?. Where can I find Telstra's announcement about this?  I would really like to read in more detail.

New Telstra Mail accounts are no longer offered to anybody. Telstra modified their Our Customer Terms in 2020 to reflect this.

Regarding details, read my post in the thread https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/telstra-mail/additional-mailbox/td-p/928225

The change was also mentioned in the thread https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/telstra-mail/no-additional-mailboxes/m-p/927994/emcs_t/S2h8ZW... by @Jupiter

Mkrtich

That's interesting news @Dowser - all clear for new customer accounts,  however I was hoping for clarification from Telstra regarding the existing account holders. 

These new T&Cs seem to apply to New Customer 'Accounts' only and there is no mention of existing customers being prevented from adding a new email address as a 'child' email address - from a legal and commercial point of view, that is not an 'Account', its an additional email address which is covered by the primary account holder, historically at no extra charge. It seems that function may have fallen victim to a new policy, either mistakenly or on purpose,  or Telstra's IT system has on-line Web portal issues for Account modifications which occurs from time to time. 

Given the decision by Telstra which seems to have been done by stealth in September 2020 ( who looks at web site T&C's regularly when you are a satisfied long term 40 year customer) , one would have expected a formal email to customers to avoid the current confusion. Maybe its is coming.  

Hoping for @Kjorg to clarify and maybe advise if Telstra intend to formally advise all their existing customers with a clear position on adding additional 'child' email addresses.    

ScottM3
Level 5: Eagle Eye

@Kjorg I will be a little blunter.   

Telstra cannot seriously make such a major change to a key product by stealth.   

By all means stop issuing mailboxes as part of a service automatically BUT There are a significant number of *active* Telstra email users out there (Telstra has key data on this) that need to be better looked after than this approach. (*active* - meaning regularly accessing and sending mails to and from their addresses). 

Personally (and I don't think I am alone) - I have been ok with Telstra products and I have appreciated having a secure mail service where it's contents are not exploited for commercial benefit.   For a key demographic - mail addresses are effectively as significant as phone numbers once were.  Mess around with them at your peril from a customer satisfaction perspective.

The resulting MyTelstra management of mailboxes is a total and utter mess - it is confusing and broken. 

It is simply no longer possible to manage "child" mailboxes created and running in my account.   As pointed out - I should still be able to add and remove mailboxes under my account.

@Kjorg What is the plan to fix the mailbox management capability ?

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Telstra can, and quite regularly do make such decisions by Stealth. The removal of carrier billing for Google Play was another decision that was not communicated at all until after the event (and even then, not officially, just through the response to a query on this forum).

The closure of the Telstra Smart Home program was another that was not handled very well. While the closure was announced, the handling of the replacement of devices was ad-hoc at best and communication post registering for the migration to Google Home was terrible by all 3 parties (Telstra, Google and Google's Logistics partner).

But getting back to Telstra Mail. That system has been dying for years. It is working off an old system (software wise), without enough support to keep it fully operational (even though it had been migrated off Telstra's original systems, through Microsoft and back to Telstra in-house) hardware wise. It lacks basic functionality that you get from either a commercial provider or the free alternatives. It also ties you in to your carrier (making changing carriers a bigger decision than it should be), but that's a customer decision - I stopped using carrier based email over a decade ago due to a combination of portability, reliability and functionality.

To be honest, if I still had a Telstra Mail account, I would be planning my exit now and start migrating away before it Telstra makes the decision to close the service altogether (which from the outside is what it looks like it may be planning on doing given the current freeze on new account creation and the lack of account management). 

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
abthomp
Level 14: Field Agent

Agreed, very apparent that there's no intention to support clients still using Bigpond mail addressses.

Such a giant PITA now to change e-mail address for all utilities, banks, subscriptions etc.

ScottM3

Yes, thanks, it is a sorry story.

A difference here with this story is that rightly or wrongly Telstra's approach to Customer ID and the Bigpond email addresses has been historically horribly interlinked.   To extricate many of the existing customer accounts from having bigpond references in many cases will be challenging - the addresses are core to the way TelstraIDs (eg MyTelstra) etc work.     There had better be a pretty amazing plan on how to deal with that.......

The key objectives of many of these "transitions" it seems is to stay out of the news headlines......

I am kind of separating the discussion here between "mailboxes" and an address.....

Jupiter

Actually, they aren't core to the way that Telstra ID work any more. Anybody can sign up for a Telstra ID, whether they are a customer or not (has been like that for a few years). If you have an old Telstra ID, like me, then you will need to get the email address that is connected to the Telstra ID changed.

I don't think that any of the changes that have been made would get anywhere near the news headlines. Nobody is that interested in product changes. Might end up on Gizmodo, that's about the extent of it.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
MikeBow
Level 1: Cadet

Hi @Rohan123  I can confirm that Telstra will still support existing users. They are unaffected by the above-mentioned changes.

Dowser

What do you base your comment on?.

ScottM3

However they ARE impacted - it is no longer possible to manage "child" accounts within an existing Primary Bigpond email account.

For me personally at this point it is the final kicker to move email.  It is a huge exercise.

Rohan123

I also would like to know where this information is based from?

I don't work for Telstra, Never have, I am just a Telstra customer like you.
So the advice I give is my own, In my own time, Guided by my own experience/knowledge.
Which I am always happy to be corrected on.
Rohan
Fasuda
Level 2: Rookie

thats just not true. Existing users cannot manager their mailboxes from their telstra profile.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit