Level 5: Eagle Eye

Telstra Mail Error - "This request took longer and timed out"

I am getting the error "This request took longer and timed out"  on Telstra Mail and cannot access my emails. This happens within a couple of minutes as soon as I log in. Why is this happening? What's the fix for this?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
158 REPLIES 158
Level 4: Private Eye

Re: Telstra Mail Error - "This request took longer and timed out"

Me too. I have been getting the same message since last Friday. Driving me mad...Some one please fix.

Level 3: Gumshoe

me too! since last Monday, had a gut full of this crap service.

Level 2: Rookie

Its happening to me too, so frustrating lately the service that we are not receiving..... 

Same here, my outlook mail is not working because the internet is sooo slow and so I go to telstra webmail but the request always times out. my smartmodem has been on mobile signal for months now and impossible to get help from telstra and now they have the cheek to say my bill will be higher because they have changed the plan

might be time to switch providers

OMG this is driving me insane!  I haven't been able to access my Webmail since last Thursday!!

The telstra tech assured me it was fixed. 

HURRY UP AND FIX IT!!

It's all happened since their servers were compromised last week. Pathetic technical response!

Thank goodness it is not just me! ... why is there nothing on their webpages indicating there is an issue? or at least be able to speak to someone...I keep getting the auto messages and a sms sent which are not helping at all.

Same since last week... Frustrating as I can't run my business properly without emails.. Telstra what the heck is going on??? 

So glad it is not just me but I am also feeling very frustrated at the lack of support from Telstra. Incredibly frustrating. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hello Telstra

Is anyone home? I am unable to view my emails. Constantly displays 

' This request took longer and timed out.'.

Any fix suggestions would be appreciated. I doesn't matter which 

device I use or what time of day the result is always the same.

Help.

Found this on their outages  page:

Network update

imageSrc
Email
Telstra will be carrying out network updates on the Telstra Mail platform.
You may not be able to send or receive email during this time.

When is the update planned for?

attentionUpdate began
attention
Update to be complete

Thank you so much for your reply! 

At least I'm not the only one with problems. The annoying thing is the techs keep saying it's a problem with my account!!! Lying!!

Own up to your mistakes Telstra and compensate us for our frustrations and useless mail service!!

Me too! Can’t see any emails in my webmail 

Very angry. Why is this email issue not fixed yet.????

It has been over a week. No help from Telstra.

If Telstra support tell me it is my problem again, I will scream...

Not good enough...we are paying for a service we  are not receiving.

@scruffy2 wrote:

Me too. I have been getting the same message since last Friday. Driving me mad...Some one please fix.

FIX IT TELSTRA.....!!!!!!!!!!

Same here. Was given the usual run around then told they will fix it and then a message they have fixed it and still the same and no official "we have a problem from Telstra". 

Same problem here. Can't access Webmail. "This request took longer and timed out". I am also using Outlook and can retrieve my emails from there but because I can't get access to the Telstra server all my emails are doubling up in Outlook each time I do send and receive. Obviously a problem with the Telstra Server. This has been going on for over a week now.

I am almost relieved to find I am not the only one with this problem. It is very frustrating. I was able to access my webmail earlier this morning but now still the same old message. I was sure it was not a modem/NBN problem as other sites I use (Google, my bank, MyGov, Youtube, my Telstra billing account, etc) work as usual.

Have been having this problem for 10 days did manage to download a few emails in the middle of the night but being a senior I do not appreciate having to do this, tried just now and when I gave up ot took 20 mins to logout.   Last week I kept getting the same message from someone called Jupiter gpiong on about the app but as I refuse to pay the excessive charges for internet on a mobile this is of no use to me.  When will Telstra get some employees who0 know what they are doing

Thank heavens I have read this!! I thought it was just me. The worst thing is that you cant speak to a person at Telstra and chat is useless. Why aren't theyt more open with us. We do they lie in their phone message 'We'll connect you to a Team member....." and 'we know you don't want to wait on hold' - they do not know that!!! No webmail for 10 days. Outlook really slow

I have the same problem. It's about time they started employing TRAINED Technicians who know how to fix the network and computer. At this rate everyone will be looking for a Non Telstra provider at better rates.

I rang Telstra about this issue. They said they are having a major upgrade at the moment and it could take another few days. (A Week for an Upgrade!!!???) It would be nice if they actually told everyone, by email, that this was happening before they just did it, and if they actually tested it fully BEFORE foisting their errors onto everyone! Just saying! How about an honest answer to all that, Telstra?

Level 13: Super Sleuth

Interesting.

For me it came right on Sunday but went bad again yesterday and today is worse than ever.

Did they halt the upgrade for a day or is the "upgrade" just an excuse?

I really doubt the quality of the verbal responses being provided. I suspect they don't have a clue what the problem is or how to fix it and are just fobbing us off. Not a good reputation to be building.

Yes, their webmail server is crap ... far too slow

I think you're right. The issue started before the 10th August and any planned upgrade would come with a planned completion. They have a serious issue that, given they got rid of all of their technical staff, they don't understand. It's unfortunately typical of Telstra - a Communications Company that is unable to communicate.

Me too.

My webmail inbox keeps returning a timeout error for the last week or so.

On a zoom meeting this morning and even that was freezing on and off.

Is all still related to to my bigpond internet service??

Hi all, same issue for 10 days now, tech help is useless as they keep telling the techos are onto "it" but what is "it"? what is the issue? no one can tell me. Have been to support twice since then (5 hours in total) no change, no update, no further contact ...... frustrating and crap service on this issue

T-Reps - Update please!!

~~ If you don't ask ~~

Same issue here.

Getting send/receive errors quite often in Outlook. Sporadically not even receiving emails from clients.

Tried to set an auto reply or forward on my Bigpond mailbox so I could at least let my clients know to contact me elsewhere, but it gives an error trying to make any changes in Webmail.

Really not sure what to do.

Has anybody contacted the Ombudsman about this issue?

Level 1: Cadet

Same here but i can go into mail on apple and see all the emails there but cant access any through big pond .

I am having the same issue I contacted technical support  and I was told it has been going since the 10 August and it is an intermittent problem , she told me just to keep refreshing the page and it is Australia wide

Really???? And 'they'  tell me so often that our system is perfectly secure, why don't you do online payments, why don't you do online banking and all the rest of it. Computer things can never be secure, because one man can build a wall, and another can pull it down. So, so, so --- their servers were compromised.

There is a message somewhere that email/webmail is being worked on since Monday 10th August, completion not specified. Oh dear, were the servers compromised 8 days ago? And now it's rained, too, and 120km/h wind is forecast. I put in something somewhere and they said they'd ring back, I hope it won't be a phone call from Nigeria then.  

Yup..same thing for me

I like the way you think!

Same error here - very frustrating especially when we are relying for email correspondence with home schooling

Same here worst than it was in the middle of the first COVID wave when they lost their overseas call centre. Does not pay to have all your eggs in a cheap basket Telstra. 

Put me down as another disgruntled customer. Why isn't there any response from a Telstra representative amongst all these comments?

I don’t know if this will help anyone but I have two telstra email clients set up on my phone and the pop one is working a little bit better than the imap one. (I started to change over to imap a year or two back but didn’t delete the pop because it was the only link to some old emails I wanted to keep).

Have logged the fault with them, it’s a pain of a process because codi or whatever it’s called steps in and tries to tell you all is well. Reply that you want an operator and it should go somewhere (or at least a step further than us all waiting around in here).

Same here! Checked my settings all correct. Tried webmail too. You have an issue Telstra! Fix it! 

Telstra are not meeting the Conditions of the Contract they have with customers. If they cannot provide e-mail as part of an Internet access package then their cost should be reduced accordingly.

Oh my god Telstra what the heck - how can you expect a business to run - I do hope we are compensated and hurry up and fix the damn problem!!!  

Who is going to fix this issue. I'm trying to get a house built, and can't receive or send emails.

Glad it's not just me! Typical Telstra say its everyone else's fault then finally admit it is theirs then can't get an eta. 

Starting to think it is time to go elsewhere!

I just had a call from my dad complaining about this issue, and luckily I stumbled across this thread so I knew it wasn't his issue!

Pretty unbelievable that this has been going on since 10 August, and there is no date for a fix and no communication to any of the paying customers.

hi all ... happened years ago ... I switched on forwarding to a gmail account as a way to receive telstra address emails (may not pick up those already received pre-forwarding) ... but for now cannot reply via telstra webmail.  Might write to CEO email address to get remedy.  ta 

Brilliant, couldn’t see a pathway to do it from mobile browser but available on my desktop machine. 
Set up and working with instant reception!

Now to inform the My Telstra chat chap!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit