Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Mail Servers not accepting outbound mail from example@domain.com.au

Answered

Hi,

Posting on behalf of a client - since Friday 11/10 one of my clients has been unable to send outbound mail via the mail.bigpond.com SMTP server for only one of his domains.

He is able to send email from a second domain and also a bigpond.com email address without issue.

The troublesome email account has been tested from a secondary telstra ADSL connection with the problem persisting.

The MS Outlook error message is:

Send test e-mail message: Cannot send the message. Verify the e-mail address in your account properties.  The server responded: 550 5.1.0 <example@domain.com.au> sender rejected OB505b

We have already tried enabling SMTP authentication on this email account with no success.

Any assistance in this matter would be appreciated. I am able to provide specific domain name details but would prefer not to list them on a public forum if possible.

Regards

Corrie 

Breezy IT

Breezy IT
support@breezyit.com.au
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Mail Servers not accepting outbound mail from example@domain.com.au

Update:

We were able to log into the Telstra Account portal for the ADSL connection and create a new mailbox, and use the new credentials to authenticate to smtp.live.com.

I still have no explanation why the original bigpond.com mailbox was unable to send via mail.bigpond.com, but it also appears that it has not been migrated to Windows Live, which is why it would not authenticate to smtp.live.com.

Breezy IT
support@breezyit.com.au

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted

I forgot to add that all email accounts are receiving as normal, however the two mail accounts that can send outbound mail ARE NOT able to send to the email account that is having trouble sending (if that makes sense). Basically: email@domain1 - can receive but not send. email@domain2 - can receive and send to all domains except domain1. email@bigpond.com - can receive and send to all domains except domain1.
Breezy IT
support@breezyit.com.au
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Corrie,

You will need to test the affected email account on another PC, using a supported mail client where it is the only account configured. Try using smtp.live.com with our outgoing ports/authentication settings. 

Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.live.com
Outgoing Port: 587
Outgoing mail server requires authentication: Yes or Password
SSL required: yes
If you are currently using Outlook, Mac Mail, iPhones, Windows Phones, Android's please use TLS.

It would also be worth while to check the AV firewall settings.

If you are still unable to resolve this issue once you have performed these checks, please contact the Tech Support area for your customers internet service so that this can be investigated further.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Hi Shelly,

Thank you for your response. I doubt very much that the method you listed will work, as the client's ADSL username and password do not authenticate to live.com

Can you please tell me the appropriate contact number for email support for ADSL? Their username ends in the bigpond.net.au domain.

Regards,

Corrie

Breezy IT
support@breezyit.com.au
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Update:

We were able to log into the Telstra Account portal for the ADSL connection and create a new mailbox, and use the new credentials to authenticate to smtp.live.com.

I still have no explanation why the original bigpond.com mailbox was unable to send via mail.bigpond.com, but it also appears that it has not been migrated to Windows Live, which is why it would not authenticate to smtp.live.com.

Breezy IT
support@breezyit.com.au

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

I am not getting the Bigpond.com server to accept outbound mail from username@bigpond.com [edited to remove email address] 

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@frankT1 - what are the ougoing mail server settings that you have configured. Can you provide the error message that you receive?

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Hi Shelley,

I am having the same issue as of this past week and this error message I get from my NAS Server (have this configured to send me email alerts about scheduled tasks, system updates, etc.)

• Your test email could not be sent: (550, '5.1.0 <[email address removed]>sender rejected OB505a', u'[email address removed]')

I have tried using the outgoing mail server settings here - https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/telstra-mail/recommended-email-settings-for-telstr... - get a 'timed out' message when using those settings.

Any other ways to troubleshoot this would be appreciated as something as changed in the last week or so.

Dave

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

OB505a - Check sender domain has valid MX or A record in DNS

Can you confirm the actual settings you are using for the SMTP?

Outgoing mail server requires authentication.
Outgoing server: smtp.telstra.com

SSL: ON

Outgoing port: 465

- Shelly

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit