scottr63
Level 2: Rookie

third party email (not bigpond) outgoing settings for outlook (microsoft 365)

Answered

Hi all, I'm setting up my third party email (mail.bigpond.com) and I can't get the outgoing server set up following the directions on the support page.

Thanks in Advance

Scott R 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SteveW_52
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: third party email (not bigpond) outgoing settings for outlook (microsoft 365)

From a quick search on the Interweb, the Hotkey Outgoing server is mail.hotkey.net.au

Not sure how current this info is, but it looks like Hotkey is becoming even more integrated with the iPrimus suite of products   https://www.iprimus.com.au/hotkey

If you are using the Bigpond server for outgoing server as you show, then it would have to use your Bigpond username and password? Bigpond wouldn't recognise your hotkey credentials. Have you tried that?

Or try the outgoing mail.hotkey.net.au server and your hotkey username and password

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
20 REPLIES 20
SteveW_52

Re: third party email (not bigpond) outgoing settings for outlook (microsoft 365)

These settings are correct..

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/set-up/imap-pop-and-smtp-information-for-manual-em...

IMAP is the better option..  if you are having trouble with the outgoing server settings, you could try Port 25, even though it not mentioned here. Also, look at the timeout settings, seems to be an issue since the great Telstra email fail of 2020...

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
scottr63

Will that be compatible with my incoming email which is pop?

I have incoming sorted (I think) but it gets stuck in a loop when entering user name and password for the mail.bigpond.com server.

SteveW_52

Your 'incoming email' is both POP and IMAP, thats why you have the choice to use one of those methods to pick up your email from the server..  IMAP gives a bit more control and manages existing server folders better, but it is a personal choice.

There are differences in the incoming mail server name for POP or IMAP - the outgoing is shared though.

Stevo 52
cf4
Level 24: Supreme Being

Instead of using mail.bigpond.com use smtp.telstra.com as the outgoing server. smtp.telstra.com works for both pop and imap. The only difference between pop and imap is the incoming server.

scottr63

mail.bigpond.com works with outlook from the Office10 suite, it also works on my iphone and ipad. but with this new pc and Microsoft 365 I'm having issues.

SteveW_52

I have a couple of bigpond.com email addresses, I use IMAP and the imap.telstra.com server quite OK in Office 365 and Outlook on my Pixels..  In the end, it's your choice and you have to be comfortable.

But if you are having trouble already it might be a sign??  Inside Telstra, all the servers are part of one big email system and incoming and outgoing emails are common to all of them, so it doesn't really matter. IMAP is my preference, I like it more than POP..  POP is an older technology and will eventually be wound down.

My other suggestion would be to do the email setup manually, rather than trust to the automatic configuration of the account..

Stevo 52
scottr63

Thanks for all your suggestions so far.

The emails I'm trying to set up aren't bigpond.com addresses, my ISP is Telstra but my email addresses are from a third party which uses pop3.

I've been using the manual setup method

I think I may have to take the next step and call support in the morning.

cf4

You will get no were with support if it is a non Telstra email account.

If its a third party email account have you tried using the SMTP server for the third party email? For example if it was GMAIL the outgoing server is smtp.gmail.com. It should work unless you are using port 25. It should work if using port 465  or port 587.

With Telstra mail all of these outgoing servers can be used

mail.bigpond.com

smtp.bigpond.com

smtp.telstra.com

SteveW_52

OK..  I misunderstood that..  while your internet service is from Telstra, it won't impact where you get email from with your client (Outlook), as long as you have the correct details for that account - it sounds like it might not use a telstra/bigpond suffix?

Can you explain it all a bit more? Does the account you are trying to add have it's own servers?

Stevo 52
scottr63

No luck there, still gets stuck at 'Enter your user name and password for the following server.' smtp.telstra.com

the same thing happens with mail.bigpond.com

I'm using my third party email address and password in those fields, I've tried using my Bigpond details in there without success.

SteveW_52

I'm confused - it is asking you for the username and password of the email account you are trying to add..  does that email account end with ..@bigpond..  or @telstra ....  ?  If not, then you need the correct server details..

Stevo 52
scottr63

I'll try - 

I have email accounts that use pop3, I have the details correct as I've copied them from the PC I'm replacing.

pop.emailprovider.net.au

Bigpond is my ISP and the settings on my other devices all use an smtp outgoing server mail.bigpond.com 

SteveW_52

There is something wrong with that..  if the email account is something@emailprovider.net.au  then you need incoming as pop.emailproveider.net.au  and

outgoing as smtp.emailprovider.net.au  (or similar)

And I would check if emailprovider has an imap server. And also the correct port settings..

Your email provider doesn't matter in this, you are adding an external, non telstra/bigpond account..

Stevo 52
scottr63

I'll try that in the morning, getting too frustrated with it now.

cf4

"I'm using my third party email address and password in those fields, I've tried using my Bigpond details in there without success."

Use you third part email address and password?

Have you checked the box for outgoing server uses requires authentication?

Have you ticked "Use same settings as incoming server"?

Are the ports and security type (SSL port 465 or TLS port 587) the same as on your other devices?

scottr63

ok, still no luck, here are the settings from my old pc which works fine with Office10.

scottr63

Here are the settings from the new pc running Microsoft365, the last image is where it keeps on looping when I click ok and repeats this window each time.

I'll be ringing my email provider tomorrow.

SteveW_52
Accepted Solution

From a quick search on the Interweb, the Hotkey Outgoing server is mail.hotkey.net.au

Not sure how current this info is, but it looks like Hotkey is becoming even more integrated with the iPrimus suite of products   https://www.iprimus.com.au/hotkey

If you are using the Bigpond server for outgoing server as you show, then it would have to use your Bigpond username and password? Bigpond wouldn't recognise your hotkey credentials. Have you tried that?

Or try the outgoing mail.hotkey.net.au server and your hotkey username and password

Stevo 52

View solution in original post

scottr63

I think you might be onto something there Steve, I'll have to check what password I have for mail.bigpond.com as I have no idea what it might be.

I've tried using my hotkey creds but that didn't work.

cf4

What settings have you used on the more settings > outgoing server tab on the old PC?

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit