The_Augur
Level 6: Bloodhound

Unresolved Telstra Mail Issues

I have ongoing unresolved issues with Telstra Mail but the thread is archived.

This includes one titled "Have Embedded Links been Deactivated in Telstra Mail emails?"

Does this mean there is no hope nor resolution?

I am now experiencing Blocked Images in incoming emails.

The settings show that "All images are allowed" already.

When I try to execute another Save on the settings to refresh it, the Save icon does not click as if it is just dead, dead, dead... Does this mean Telstra Mail is truly a dud?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Unresolved Telstra Mail Issues

Have you tried using a different browser?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
The_Augur

Yes, I have. No difference, Same outcome.

When I forward it to my Yahoo account, the images and embedded links work.

So it again re-affirms my initial assessment when Telstra Mail was first foisted on us unilaterally that it is a dud.

With so many other deficits in design, functionalities and ease of use, it is possibly the worst ever email application I have ever come across in 3 decades.

I would be happy if Telstra can prove me wrong.

Dowser
Level 22: Superhuman

The web browser interface that you have pictured above is known as Telstra WebMail, which provides an interface to the email system known as Telstra Mail.

You could alternatively access your Telstra Mail account using an email client app such as Microsoft Outlook or Mozilla Thunderbird.

Jupiter

Well, Telstra Mail was never foisted on you. There has never been a compulsion for you to use it.

Yes, there are far better email services that are available (free and paid). It's up to you to chose which system you use.

With Telstra Mail, you haven't been able to create new accounts since September 2020, so that gives some indication about the future of the service.

Have you tried using Outlook or Thunderbird (or any other Mail application) to access your Telstra Mail account, rather than just relying on the webmail interface?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
The_Augur

Jupiter and Dowser, thank you for your replies with workarounds but let us not digress.

If Webmail has issues, then let us know if they can be fixed.

If they cannot be fixed, then perhaps withdraw Webmail as an option for customers.

As for compulsion to use Telstra Mail, it's somewhat tied to that fancy misguided notion of customer loyalty, plus the predecessor to Telstra Mail was working OK then. If you look back at the feedback in those migration days, you will find complaints upon complaints. As to why Telstra customers use its email application, it was primarily also because Telstra positioned itself as an "All-In-One" one-stop shop provider with ease of access to all its services. We who stay on usually also do so because so much of our data history has been stored in the application and to port it (if possible) over to another application creates headaches. As you are aware, Murphy's Law is still around.

The reason I use the Webmail interface is ease of access when travelling as i do not lug a laptop along. I used Outlook years ago and am not that keen on it. As for Thunderbird, I have not heard of it as a ubiquitous email application - will it be another Hotmail to be?

Generally being non-techies compared to you folks, the thought of the processes to extract our data and port it over to another email application, plus notifying and changing email addresses with various institutions etc just puts us off. Nonetheless, if you can direct us to links on how to access Telstra Mail from another email application or even move to another application with our data, that may help the rest of us somewhat when we reach breaking point or Telstra Mail is well and truly buried, whichever occurs first.

Jupiter

To find out if the issues that you are having can be fixed, then you will need to contact Telstra Customer Support on 132200 and say "Telstra Mail" at the prompt.

There is nothing stopping you from using a combination of an application such as Outlook or Thunderbird and the webmail interface (s long as you set the connection up as IMAP). Outlook can be used on your mobile, and your mobile will most likely have its own email application as well as part of the operating system.

Now for a brief history of email applications/services:

• Thunderbird has been around since 2003 and is produced as a free application by the Mozilla Foundation (formerly Netscape. who were around from the beginnings of the web) and currently has around 25 million users.
  • Hotmail started in 1996 and is now called Outlook.com (happened in 2012) and is part of the web interface for Outlook, so it hasn't actually gone anywhere, it just evolved (unlike Telstra Mail).
Dowser

There are various guides that detail how to setup an email client for Telstra Mail.

For example, for Outlook 

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/set-up/set-up-telstra-mail-on-outlook-2016

For iPhone Mail app

https://mobilesupport.telstra.com.au/apple/iphone-12-ios-14-1/messaging-email/set-up-your-phone-for-...

There is also a Telstra webpage about the email client settings required

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/set-up/imap-pop-and-smtp-information-for-manual-em...

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit