Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Valid emails to bigpond accounts being blocked by Telstra

Hi Support

Telstra is blocking emails to bigpond accounts including mine that come from my gardening website. Every Monday morning at about 2am my website (igarden.com.au) sends an email out to my subscribers (about 2,300) alerting them when I have published a new Blog item. This has been working well for many years (with one notable exception when Telstra had a brief period two years ago of blocking emails following some sort of internal spam filter changes).

The blocking currently seems to happen in two ways:

1. Short periodic alert emails that come from the website directly to me are bounced and we receive a "Message content rejected due to suspected spam.  IB703" response. At least that makes me aware of the block.

2. My regular Monday morning subscriber alert from the website just disappears into the ether. The only way I know the emails weren't delivered is when people contact me and ask why they didn't get their usual email, and I also am on my own mail list and I don't receive them. As was the case this morning.

The problem seems to have started sometime during mid/late last week but I can't be sure. And emails to other mail service providers don't seem to be affected.

Can you please ask your mail security/spam people within Telstra Bigpond mail services to unblock "all" emails originating from igarden.com.au

Thank you for your help

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Valid emails to bigpond accounts being blocked by Telstra

This could be due to the fairly widespread issue with Bigpond email at present. You will see many posts about the problem on this and other forums.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Highlighted

Thanks for your comment but based on my experience of this problem a couple of years ago you need to get to a Telstra contact who can ask their spam vendor to unblock your website. I have in the interim also sent details of the problem to postmaster@bigpond.com as I noticed that was the main suggestion elsewhere. (Albeit I did that on Friday when the problem first came to my attention and I was fearful of the Monday morning emails not going out to bigpond account holders - which has subsequently occurred).

Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

If you can post here again when you get an outcome, and advise what the solution was, it could help others.

If you didn't get a spam warning, I would think that you haven't triggered that action.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

The message to postmaster@bigpond.com is the only resolution method.

You need to send a copy of the bounce message, along with your contact details and when the problem started occurring. It should normally be resolved within 5 business days.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

As to not getting a bounce response I can say for absolute certainty that under some circumstances Telstra email does not respond at all to emails which it dismisses. But that wasn't the case here for the short email notices where I did get a response.

Anyway...on a more positive front Telstra have responded a short while ago to my email to the postmaster that I sent on Friday  as follows:

Hiya,

this will be resolved in about thirty minutes. Anti spam vendor is pushing out an update now to resolve the false positive.

Cheers

Shannon

Highlighted

Just checked the receipt of emails and good to their word Telstra have corrected the problem. I can understand that it is a delicate balancing act in making the spam detection software/algorithms "sensitive" enough to pick up real spam but let through legitimate ones so I guess this sort of thing can happen from time to time.

Anyway it seems it is all good now. Won't know about our bigger weekly alert emails till next Monday but fingers crossed its sorted!

Highlighted
Level 10: Junior Detective

Sounds all good now.

Highlighted

Was looking good i.e. normal for a while. But, unfortunately Bigpond have now blocked all emails from my two websites to bigpond email users. This seems to have started a couple of days ago but I was not aware of it because as happened a year or so ago the emails are blocked but NO notification is sent back to us as the originator of the emails.

During the week this only affects people doing minor things like User Registration on our websites BUT every monday morning we send out a lot of emails. So this morning 562 emails to bigpond email recipients were not delivered from igarden.com.au and 2948 from myopengarden.com.au. Luckily this represents only about 17% of our users, but it does mean we then start getting lots of complaints.

So please if anyone from Telstra is listening out there can you help. It's obvious someone is tweaking the sensitivity of the Telstra spam detection software and its way too sensitive. We have been doing the same thing, from the same servers for 12 years now and it's incredibly frustrating to have to try to chase this stuff up.

P.S. I sent an email to postmaster but as I don't have any "bounce" messages I can't give specific information!

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Myopengarden, the contact you've made with the postmaster@bigpond.com address is the best course of action for this to be followed up. Even without a bounce-back message they can still investigate further if you provide:

- Exact dates and times of when the error is happening, preferably in the format dd-mm-yyyy and hh:mm AEST.
- Sending domain/address
- IP address at the time of attempt
- An approximate of the volume of emails that are attempting to send per hour to us.
- A copy from the message they tried to send to BigPond domain (including signature and attachments)
- Contact details

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Thank you for that.

It's going to be hard to give specific examples & times but as it fails for adhoc messages as well as our bulk emails I can certainly give an example with exact time of the former and a time period, example and count for the latter.

regards

Andrew Mowat

Highlighted

Things are progressing. The support person from Telstra (Postmaster) has been very helpful in tracking down the cause of the problem (and explaining it patiently to me).

It seems the shared mail server that our hosted websites use has had it's "reputation" blown as determined by "senderscore.org" and as a result Telstra are rejecting all emails from there. According to senderscore.org our mail server has been spamming increasingly fro about 5th to 10th October. Just why this has happened is still being determined with the information that Telstra has uncovered being forwarded to our hosting company (Anchor Data Systems) who are looking into to it.

As to the reasons why we got no bounce messages back for delivery failure to Telecom that is a bit contentious. Telstra say that the emails are rejected with a 5xx code which should tell the sending mail server to in effect give up and return a message to the initiator (i.e. me) .. BUT... it seems Anchor may have held the emails and retried at a later date - 6 days later? - and then bounced them after being unable to deliver them .. so now I'm starting to get bounce messages from last week. Very curious behaviour.

.. more to come

Highlighted
Level 10: Junior Detective

Sounds like you are getting to the bottom of it.

Highlighted

Telstra support person (Shannon) via the Postmaster has been really helpful and with his insights into the source of the problems our hosting company was able to track down the errant user who was spamming from their shared server. Once that was cleared up Shannon was able to bypass the senderscore check and control the flow of emails that had been queued up at our host mail server and check that all was well. Now, 24 hours later all seems to be going well.Fingers crossed that our next big mailout on the coming Monday morning goes through without problems!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit