Level 1: Cadet

Webmail automatically deleted emails can I retrieve?

Answered

Webmail automatically deleted emails...older than 180 days and they also disappeared from my "mail" account on my macbook.  Is it possible to retrieve these?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Webmail automatically deleted emails can I retrieve?

Sorry it wasn't the news you wanted hear, but at least I was able to nail it for you for future reference and you can keep an eye on it.

That setting wouldn't and couldn't be changed by webmail, it's more likely happened with an update to your Macbook. Quiet often when the likes of Apple or Microsft (Windows) offer up updates other settings in the op systems can be effected.

A very current example of this is currently being played out with Microsoft Windows 10. They are just about daily rolling out updates of one description or another and people left right and centre are finding settings they had made on a range of different things from screen savers to mail settings and one thing or another get reset to default or at least changfed from the way they had them set.

Just keep an eye on it, now you know what to look for.

Signature.gif

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3

Hi Maggie, no once the emails are deleted from the server they are no more.

Do you have your email configured on a computer/Mac (possibly a computer at home) to download to a mail program (such as Mail, Outlook, etc.)?  If so, the deletions are more than  likely occurring because that program is set to erase emails from the server (ie. Webmail) after download right now. This is the default setting for most mail programs and its done to conserve space on Webmail. To prevent this you would need to change a setting within the mail program to leave a copy of messages on the server.

You need to go into your computer/Mac email settings and ensure that the delete setting isn't ticked.

Signature.gif

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

Level 1: Cadet

Hi Jeff,

Not the answer I was hoping to receive.  My Mail email set up on Macbook Air for 10 years had never deleted emails before, however when I checked the settings after your email, it was configured to delete.  Has this occurred due to the new Webmail?  I have used webmail previously overseas and this hasn't happened before.

I appreciate your information.  Many thanks

Accepted Solution

Sorry it wasn't the news you wanted hear, but at least I was able to nail it for you for future reference and you can keep an eye on it.

That setting wouldn't and couldn't be changed by webmail, it's more likely happened with an update to your Macbook. Quiet often when the likes of Apple or Microsft (Windows) offer up updates other settings in the op systems can be effected.

A very current example of this is currently being played out with Microsoft Windows 10. They are just about daily rolling out updates of one description or another and people left right and centre are finding settings they had made on a range of different things from screen savers to mail settings and one thing or another get reset to default or at least changfed from the way they had them set.

Just keep an eye on it, now you know what to look for.

Signature.gif

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit