Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
Amillennialist
Level 3: Gumshoe

Re: Webmail Ibox will not download

For a couple of days early in the week, it was back to normal (perhaps this is the new normal). But it only lasted that brief time before back to loading..loading. When it did finally load, I seem to have nothing prior to 3/9/20 although everything historic in folders was still there back to 2012.  I dunno, I feel for those trying to run a business and "work from home" on this system. I redirect everything through my Gmail account but not all my contacts know that address. It is a serious PITA. Smiley Frustrated

steppy5

I honestly believe telstra haven't have a clue on how to fix this problem. I have said before they should bring in Cobb and Co. They would deliver the mail quicker and efficiently.

Dowser
Level 11: Detective

@Amillennialist wrote:

When it did finally load, I seem to have nothing prior to 3/9/20 although everything historic in folders was still there back to 2012. 

Do you mean that emails were missing from the inbox?.

If so, check the deleted folder because that’s where my whole inbox contents ended up after the technicians ‘worked’ on it.

Amillennialist

No, nothing other than recent stuff in the trash can or junk pile.  However, Thunderbird seems to have gathered up all the early emails and so I haven't lost them after all. That's a relief! (of sorts). Messaging working today, maybe light at the end of the tunnel?

Ruftybear
Level 4: Private Eye

Same for me. If I check my email at 5.30am, I can usually get in. The rest of the day, forget it because it just won't work. This has been going on for almost 2 months for me now. Thankfully I can now use GMail, but it's about time Telstra pulled their fingers out and fixed whatever this problem is.

Orangejezza

Well, after a time of not trying Bigpond emails, I thought I would check to see how things were progressing. We havent heard a thing about the problems status so why would I think  there would be any progress ! So, gave it a try and it seems to be up and running again.

problems still persist as I have lost a 3 year chunk of important emails. Emails prior to March this year gone, thanks a heap Telstra. And by the way, don’t try logging into Telstra accounts - they are very sorry but the site is down now. Give me a break Telstra.

what have we learnt from this debacle.....Telstra will not admit there has been a problem

......Telstra will not contact you when they say they will

......Telstra will not keep their customers informed of 

issues even tho we have contacted them constantly 

......Telstra not once have offered compensation to those      
                                                                                                                                    affected

Be on notice Telstra, I for one will be coming after you for a suitable credit applied to my account, your service has been appalling and arrogant.

sue

SteveW_52
Level 21: Augmented

I have to say that if the emails were important, you shouldn't have relied on leaving them on the server. A server could fail at anytime and in a rebuild ot automatic change over lose or corrupt your emails.

For safety you should be using an email client (Outlook, Thunderbird, mailspring etc. etc.) on a PC or other device, with the Bigpond account added, and keeping a local copy (or two) of the emails on a local drive or USB or better still a NAS etc. Another option is to have a forwarding rule set on your Bigpond account to copy emails to another email address entirely (gmail etc.) Your data safety starts with you.. 

I am not criticising you, just saying that I learnt that lesson a long, long time ago and ever since an obsessively pedantic about backing stuff up! even backing up the backups!

Bigpond email for consumers has now service delivery agreement applied, it is best effort only.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Orangejezza

Thanks for the advice, will do just that now, oops, sorry can’t do that they’re gone.

lesson learnt! Will certainly take steps to save my important stuff elsewhere. Thanks.

seems a pity tho that in good faith we are bigpond users and I had the hope the service was safe and secure. What a joke BigPond is.

SteveW_52

It's a hard lesson, it's a bit of a gut wrenching feeling to realise you have lost that stuff - even worse if there is irreplaceable data and photos gone as well..  but so long as you change things in the future, it is not a wasted one. I have lost data irretrievably on a few occassions but have had a good belt and braces, back up strategy since 1987, which is updated frequently with new applications that are improved etc.  Smiley Happy

Once you have an email client, you can use various backup utilities - Safe PST (email), true Image (all data), SyncBack to save stuff automatically, or on demand. 

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Amillennialist

Sage advice and I think many users have placed too much faith in Telstra's capability. As I had mentioned earlier, I lost everything prior to early September from the inbox but all messages in folders were strangely but thankfully accessible.  Fortunately, installing Thunderbird just after the problem started in August was a good idea as it captured all those messages lost in Telstra's inbox.  Unfortunately too, many users (like me) are not really tech savvy and learn only from bitter experience. Although it's not much, but a grovelling apology from Telstra appearing in our inboxes, along with a redress system for those who pay for service,  might reduce the rage from boiling to simmer.

Orangejezza

Hi everyone

after demanding I receive a call from a Telstra rep, it finally came today. I firstly apologised for all I was about to spew out. This operator was actually very nice, so it was easier to chat.

But not before I told how poor the service was, how long we as customers have been putting up with such disregard for us. Not acknowledging there was a problem, and that not giving us any updates as to what was the problem and how long we would be unable to access our emails confidently.

after all of that, and she allowed me to vent and promised to elevate my/our concerns higher to address how this whole debacle was handled. Maybe just speak, it did sound like a recorded message delivered, something written out for them to give us to appease the customers.

i did receive 3 months credit on my account and I pay a substantial amount monthly.

what I would suggest to you all is contact them and don’t give up until you have a reasonable compensation allotted. 

however it was never about compensation for me, I have lost emails through all this, and being a volunteer, contact was extremely important to me.

lets hope this is finally the end of the angst and maybe a lesson learned by Telstra too, as I said to the operator, don’t treat us with sheer disregard, keep us updated and maybe this forum would get less posts.

good luck to us all who have put up with this

sue

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit