Level 3: Gumshoe

Webmail - Old email reappeared and won't delete

Hi,

An old email from 2016 has reappeared in my webmail inbox. Size is given as 56Kb. When I try to delete it, a message says "Your request could not be completed. Please try again."

This email is blocking Thunderbird from downloading any emails queued behind it. Thunderbird download of the email fails with "Error with account xxxxx.bigpond.com. The RETR command did not succeed. Error retrieving a message. Mail server mail.bigpond.com responded: no such message."

How do I delete the message from webmail.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
29 REPLIES 29
Level 2: Rookie

Re: Webmail - Old email reappeared and won't delete

@Kram11 wrote:

Hi,

An old email from 2016 has reappeared in my webmail inbox. Size is given as 56Kb. When I try to delete it, a message says "Your request could not be completed. Please try again."

This email is blocking Thunderbird from downloading any emails queued behind it. Thunderbird download of the email fails with "Error with account xxxxx.bigpond.com. The RETR command did not succeed. Error retrieving a message. Mail server mail.bigpond.com responded: no such message."

How do I delete the message from webmail.

Hi Kram11

Sorry I don't have a solution but it might be useful for Telstra to know that I have been having EXACTLY the same problem as you - as of yesterday 29 May 2020, too. Trying to retrieve my emails from Bigpond server via Thunderbird and just keep getting this message:

The RETR command did not succeed. Error retrieving a message. Mail server mail.bigpond.com responded: no such message. 

In Webmail I've deleted everything I could in case it was clogged up somehow but there are three emails that mysteriously will not delete, two recent ones which had already come through to my Thunderbird account, and one from 2018 which should have been deleted but which is mysteriously back in my webmail inbox.

I've tried everything.  I wonder how many others out there are affected?

Elly6

Level 1: Cadet

Yes, I have the same problem - and no solution

Hi Elly6,

I have tried calling Telstra. I tried the Telstra auto diagnostic system and it found no errors. the help line to be informed that due to Corona Virus staff were concentrating on "urgent" customer issues and my email problem wasn't urgent. The system then hung up on me.

I have a partial solution. I switched from POP3 to IMAP fro my email account. This resulted in me being able to download my mail using Thunderbird. Thunderbird downloaded the old message and I am stuck with that in my inbox, I can't delete it, however I am able to access the rest of my mail. I'm going to try tweaking the settings for deletion of mail on the server and see what that does to the webmail content.

Hi Geoff4035,

See my reply to Elly6 for the latest on the issue.

Kram11

Hi All,

I used this to guide me through the change from POP to IMAP.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/switch-pop-imap-account

Kram11

Thank you so much Kram 11.  I am going to try to switch from POP to IMAP using those instructions.  Fingers crossed!

I have the same problem.  Received mail as normal on May 27 but none thereafter.  I deleted all of the emails dated the 28th from webmail in case something on that date caused the malfunction with the server but still cannot receive mail.  Interestingly, I can download my mail on an iPad.

Hi Tenesi

I am glad to report that Kram11 gave me very useful information that helped -  advised changing from POP to IMAP (see his posts for details) and I have just done that.  Bingo, all my emails, that had been clogged in Telstra Bigpond's server, instantly came through to my Thunderbird inbox.  So that's good. 

Trouble is that when it came to deleting the old POP, I realised that I had not invented a new IMAP username (I didn't want to change my email address as I've had it forever and didn't want to lose it).  So for the time being I have not deleted the old POP account.... I'm not sure if this will be a problem in future.  Thunderbird won't let me get back into Server Settings now because it is saying an account of that name already exists... this means I can't set up Thunderbird to check for new emails at start up, and check every xx minutes.  As I'm not very techy I am scared of losing my email altogether. Hope Kram11's kind advice can help you too.

It worked to get my emails!  Thank you so much again for your advice.  I now have some other little issues - see my reply to Tenesi.

Hi Elly6,

Check and see if the emails are still on the webmail server (not in trash). If they are, I would delete the IMAP account, go into the POP account and move the emails you want to keep onto you local folders. When you're happy you have all the emails you want from the POP account in the local folders re-setup the IMAP account, then delete the POP account. The stuff you moved into your Local folders should be unaffected by this, and the mail on Webmail will resync with Thunderbird and download to the IMAP account, then it should let you configure Thunderbird Server settings the way you want. I don't know if platforms makes a difference, but I'm doing all this on a Macbook.

Thank you for the help Kramm11.  The mail downloaded but I received the following message during the download "The operation on inbox did not succeed.  The mail server for account (mine) responded FETCH could not complete for one or more messages."  Maybe just a report on progress that resolved.  I don't know at the moment.

I now have a number of blank but timestamped 'emails'.  When I delete one a replacement blank one appears with the then current timestamp.  Curious!

Another curiosity following this process is the appearance in POP trash of some 200 'conversations' all dated 1/01/1970 10am. 

Glad I could help.

The blank email in my inbox corresponds to the old email in my webmail that caused the problem for me in the first place. I get the same result as you when I try to delete it, a new blank with an updated timestamp, and I can't delete the old mail from webmail.I was lucky that only one old email appeared.

Maybe one day soon Telstra will decide that email is a necessary tool and start supporting it again via their help desk. As my wife said "what if you are running a business and have this problem, do they not consider that urgent?".

I'm glad that this work around was able to help both of you. Hopefully, we can get some advice for a full fix of the problem.

I also have the The      " RETR command did not succeed. Error retrieving a message. Mail server pop.telstra.com responded: no such message"

I too have tried everything possible including deleting all junk messages and other messages. Nothing works.   

Surly there is some solution

I have the same problem on my Web mail with Telstra. I can not remove emails from 2016 that are now suddenly on my account.     I can not remove these. On Thunderbird and Mail I get the same message    The RETR command did not succeed. Error retrieving a message. Mail server pop.telstra.com responded: no such message

Hi Bliss54,

See my suggestions to the others above. While it let me get my emails, I'm still unable to delete the problem email from 2016. It's only a partial solution until I can get onto someone at Telstra to get the offending email deleted.

I have the same problem. 13 old emails from 14 Nov 2016 have reappeared and can't be deleted. They are just headers with no content any more.

So I have exactly the same problem. Just on the weekend my email client kept freezing and not finishing the download. It deletes email from the server whenever it connects. 

Anyway so I logged onto telstra webmail. Somehow about 20 messages from late November 2016 have appeared in the inbox. All of these emails cannot be opened, delete, moved or anything. New emails are coming in and behave normally but these old ones seem to be stuck. I don't care about them.. they can all go but there is nothing that can be done with them. 

If I click on one to open I get "An error occurred while loading message body. Please try again later."

If I try to delete it I get "Your request could not be completed. Please try again"

Now note this is not in an email client. This is in telstra webmail. i've tried three different browsers across three computers. All the same thing. I phoned telstra support and they are going to call me back some time in the next 11 days. Smiley Indifferent

Hi Erutangis,

Thanks for the info.

Please let us know the outcome if Telstra get back to you.

i am having the same problem.......49 old emails from 2016 in mailbox and are preventing the MAC OS email client from downloading new mail. Logged into webmail and cannot delete or move the old mail from 2016. Frustrating.....

I e-mailed - postmaster@bigpond.com and they fixed it for me. It is isolated to each account so they need to check your account and fix it. Try that and see how they go.

Thanks Twiztidct, I'll try that and see how I get on.

Thank you ! I emailed them and they have fixed it! 

I emailed last Friday. It was fixed today. 

Thanks community support!

Yep, same here.....emailed Friday and fixed today. Although i am having password errors and can't connect via my email client. I can login via webmail and the message does state there could be password issues.......will give it overnight to see if it resolves.

Hi Twiztidct,

Thank you for the tip.

I emailed the postmaster@bigpond.com and they have deleted the problem email from my webmail box and it has fixed my issue.

Thank you Twiztidct,

I followed your advice, and my mail was fixed last night.

Again I have the same problem, I'm using Outlook on my Mac and messages aren't being deleted from the server through the IMAP account I set up. I thought I was going mad seeing messages from 2016 with no message body and so unable to delete them from the server. I'll do the same and email the postmaster and hope my account gets fixed as well!

Thanks for advice.

Thanks Twiztdct, I emailed them and now mine is fixed as well.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit