gtb
Level 2: Rookie

Webmail only showing last two weeks emails.

Answered

Webmail recently (last 3 to 6 months) started only showing the last two weeks emails. I have made no changes and there is no ability to make changes in the Telstra webmail system to do this.  I notice from reading comments from the past that this appears to be an issue over the last 5 years but nobody has ever satisfactorily answered the webmail issue. Does anyone have a clue what is going on?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Webmail only showing last two weeks emails.

I'm pretty sure that you will find that the settings in Outlook are the issue. Go into your account settings and check to see what they are currently set as (updates have been known to change them).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Dowser
Level 20: Director

Is it possible for you to access your emails using a different email client to check if the older emails are on the server?. (such as your phone or you can use a free app called Thunderbird)

I just checked on my Webmail, and I have emails in there up to 4 years old.

You could also look at Webmail >  Settings > Mail > Organise Inbox, and see if there are any rules there to organise your Inbox.

Also, when you click on Webmail >  Settings > Mail, it will indicate (near the bottom) what % of your allowable space is being used.

cf4

Do you have an email client set to use POP on one of your devices. By default most email clients by default are set to remove the email from the server after 14 days.

gtb

I am accessing Telstra Webmail from their site.  I use outlook on my PC but this is not a PC or Outlook issue. The messages are simply not on the Webmail server.  When I go to find older emails on Webmail they are not there.  Today I can only find emails back to 29 March, last month it was a similar issue. I first noticed it around December but thought I might have accidently deleted them (how I have no idea but you start doubting youself sometimes)  

gtb

I have had email set up for several years without touching any settings and the emails on outlook are not an issue, it is the Telstra Webmail server that is not showing me older emails.  I am concerned that if I don't download emails for a couple of weeks the older messages will have been wiped by Telstra before I get the chance to see them.

gtb

Thanks re the webmail > settings idea but that is not it either.  I have checked and there are no rules to delete.  I am using less than 1% ... because they've all been deleted. 

Jupiter
Accepted Solution

I'm pretty sure that you will find that the settings in Outlook are the issue. Go into your account settings and check to see what they are currently set as (updates have been known to change them).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Dowser

So, do the older emails still exist in Outlook?.

When looking at the Outlook settings (as per Jupiter) check if the connection to the server is using IMAP or POP.

The following link has the recommended settings https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/set-up/imap-pop-and-smtp-information-for-manual-em...

Therein it states 

• IMAP is the recommended setting for Telstra Mail customers.
gtb

Thanks Jupiter, it must have altered itself at some stage as I have never changed these settings. **bleep**!  I've been talking to Telstra for hours (email) and not once did they suggest this might have changed itself overnight.  I couldn't work out why the server would be deleting emails when it hasnt ever done that before, I've have 1000s of emails on the server.  Thanks for your help

gtb

Thanks Dowser.  It looks like the settings have been altered after an update some time ago.  I thought I set the rules, not Outlook.  Thanks for your help.

gtb

Thanks for your help.  All sorted, no thanks to an Outlook update that changed the settings.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit