Bob4157
Level 2: Rookie

Webmail - Your messages could not be retrieved.

For a month now (apparently) randomly when I log into webmail I get an error dialog box with "Your messages could not be retrieved. Please try again later."

A formal complaint to Telstra achieved nothing.

Any ideas please?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Webmail - Your messages could not be retrieved.

It's most likely a problem with the server that your account is hosted on.

Send an email to postmaster@bigpond.com with your contact details (including the email address), and when the problem started occurring.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

Do you encounter similar issues if you access the emails on the server using an email client app?.

Bob4157

Outlook shows no new emails while the webmail doesn't load any inbox messages which suggests the problem lies at the server end.

Bob4157

Thank you for that Jupiter.  I have sent off the details as you suggested and I guess now I wait.........

Dowser

You could send yourself an email using Outlook. This would check if sending works and you would have content in the inbox for your testing.

I would also suggest that you check if the Telstra Webmail error is displayed on different internet browsers and different computers.

Bob4157

Thank you for your input Dowser.

But alas, I have tried different browsers on different computers and the result is the same.

I can also send from both Webmail and Outlook and those messages are received by the respective destinations.  I hadn't tried sending to myself but a try just now appeared to send ok but no indication of any received message. 

The last Outlook received message is 31 May and with Webmail I still just get an error dialog box with "Your messages could not be retrieved. Please try again later.".

Dowser

Not receiving the test email in the Inbox (as far as Outlook is concerned) combined with your testing of WebMail appears to confirm that it’s a server issue.

You mentioned that you have already lodged a “formal complaint to Telstra (but it) achieved nothing.”  What occurred?.

I suggest that you contact Telstra Support on 132200 (9am - 8pm AEST) and speak to the faults team.

Please request a reference number for your interaction. Also keep a copy of the email that you sent as per the suggestion by @Jupiter 

Bob4157

Dowser

I haven't been ignoring you but I did what you suggested and rang 132200 and got onto the faults team.

Friday 4/6/21 14:35 13 minutes call 

Spoke to M who said he understood the problem and listen to my tests of sending and looking on other devices and he decided to suspend my email and then reinstate it - this would take up to 2 hours round trip.

Check the email and take it from there.  Got incident number.

Friday 4/6/21 19:42 (5½ hours later) 45 minutes call 

Got SMS saying all fixed.

email still suspended.

Spoke to Z who tried to reactivate email and couldn't and said give it longer..

Saturday 8/6/21 08:30 (12 hours later) 8 minutes call

email still suspended.

Spoke to S who tried to reactivate email and couldn't and was not happy that he couldn't and said in the end it should all come good within 48 hours.

Monday 7/6/21 13:21 ( 53 hours later) 1½ hour call

email still suspended.

Spoke to C who tried to reactivate email and couldn't and was extremely NOT HAPPY this suspension got to this stage but couldn't fix it despite numerous side calls to other (technical?) sections.  Eventually passed me to a technical person to keep me informed but she was stumped as well.  She said someone will call me back Tuesday morning.

And there it sits.............

Bob4157

It's 13:30 Tuesday 8/6/21 and it's fixed - no phone call or explanation.

But, this has happened before so I think I will wait a few days before I open the champagne.

TommyR
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Bob. 

Glad to hear it has sorted itself out. Let us know if you run into further troubles. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit