PP99
Level 2: Rookie

Why are emails not being retrieved from server on iPhone after re-adding email account?

I accidentally moved all my emails to the junk folder last night on my iPhone. I then had to move them all back (12,000 of them) to my inbox. This didn't work properly so I decided to delete my bigpond account from my iPhone and re-add it. However, most of my emails in my inbox have not reappeared since I re-added my bigpond account.

I checked my Telstra Webmail and all my emails are still there in my inbox (I use IMAP across all devices) so I know they are definitely not deleted from the server. I checked on my MacBook mail app, and whilst they had to all be downloaded again (because I'd moved them all to junk), this only took 10 minutes. I had assumed it would only take 10 minutes for my emails to be retrieved from the server on my iPhone as well. This has not been the case though, as I've left my phone for around 10 hours and pretty much no progress with downloading emails.

Currently, I have random blocks of emails on my iPhone. Sometimes, when I search for a term, some more emails download but there is no guarantee that they stay in my inbox (some seem to disappear again).

I've rang Apple and they are no help - they say it is a server problem. I have done a force restart, I have checked my settings for mail sync settings to set to 'no limit' - there appears to be no option for this for a bigpond email account.

Since re-adding my bigpond account to my iPhone, I have received emails (ie from that point in time, all emails have been coming through). My issue is with all emails prior to that point in time. I also have no issues with sending emails from my iPhone.

Could you please advise what steps I can take to retrieve all 12,000 emails from the server to appear in iPhone mail inbox? Does Telstra limit how many emails can be retrieved from the server in one period? As I mentioned above, they're all there on the Telstra webmail application and my MacBook mail application so I just want them on my iPhone as well!

PP

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Dowser
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Why are emails not being retrieved from server on iPhone after re-adding email account?

Just in case, check that you are using the correct IMAP settings

By the way, are you referring to the native Mail app?.

It might be necessary to reset your iPhone settings, at Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Reset > Reset All Settings

It might then be necessary to re-add your Mail account.

PP99

Re: Why are emails not being retrieved from server on iPhone after re-adding email account?

Thanks. I have checked the settings all seem to be correct.

I will try re-adding my Mail account (although I have done this before to no avail) but after resetting my iPhone settings.  

PP
Nat_Cracker
Support Team
Support Team

How did you go with this?

PP99

Most of my emails have come back but I am still missing about 1,500 emails. I left my phone overnight and quite a few downloaded in this time. They seem be downloading in blocks but I haven't had any more emails download over the past 15 hours. Some new ones having been download since then (around 300 emails) and they this disappear again. This has happened a few times today and it is always the same emails (date range between 15 October 2021 and 25 October 2021). It seems like all the emails from 25 October 2021 onwards won't download until those ones do. Thus, I'm not sure how to get the last of the missing emails (around 1,500) to download on my phone. 

PP
Dowser

I previously asked “are you referring to the native Mail app?.”, without response.

If you are using the native Mail app, you could try using an alternative app such as the Gmail app. It can.be configured to access the Telstra Mail server..

PP99

Apologies, yes, it’s the native mail app on an iPhone. 
Most of my emails have downloaded except for about 6 weeks worth. About 2 weeks of these 6 weeks keep downloading then disappearing again which is soooo frustrating!!! I’m so stuck as to why it is doing this!! 

I’m thinking of deleting my bigpond account and adding it to go through the whole process again! 
I have thought about other apps but I personally like the interface of the iPhone mail app over Outlook and Gmail (I use both for other email accounts and would also like to keep my personal emails seperate). 
edit: literally as I was typing this reply some more emails downloaded for dates that haven’t downloaded at all! No progress in 2 days and boom - some progress! Fingers crossed we’re on the home stretch of downloading emails and this time around they won’t disappear some 15 mins later. 
2nd edit: 1 minute later they all disappeared all that progress gone… 

PP
Dowser

I too prefer the native iPhone Mail app, but I also have the Gmail app (and previously additionally the Outlook app) installed for test purposes.

You could try deleting the Telstra Mail account in Settings and then reconfiguring it (as you have mentioned), but I would recommend doing this when you have a stable and fast internet connection.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit