herstonian
Level 3: Gumshoe

Telstra Plus - bought a Nokia 2.3 phone, thought it was outright but it’s locked

Answered

I couldn’t ever see us using our 22,031 rewards points but then decided to see if we could buy a phone for sister-in-law in NZ who is still using an old iPhone 5s. Ordered a Nokia 2.3 22k plus $90.

Phone arrived yesterday and it’s prepaid and locked. Nowhere during the redemption process does it mention either. It will cost $80 to unlock! We could have bought the phone outright for $199.

This redemption borders on being a scam. I either want what I paid for, an unlocked outright phone, or I want to return it and get my points back. How do I get this sorted?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
herstonian
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Plus - bought a Nokia 2.3 phone, thought it was outright but it’s locked

Thanks Jupiter. The good news is that the site will be updated to make it clear that you’re redeeming for a prepaid/locked phone. Our’s will also be unlocked at no charge (even better news!). Great that it has been acknowledged as needing to be improved. 

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Telstra Plus - bought a Nokia 2.3 phone, thought it was outright but it’s locked

You are correct. There is nothing that says that the phone is locked to the Telstra network, so you should be able to get it unlocked free of charge.

The downside is that you are going to have to try and get through either on 132200 or 1258880 to get it unlocked.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
herstonian
Accepted Solution

Thanks Jupiter. The good news is that the site will be updated to make it clear that you’re redeeming for a prepaid/locked phone. Our’s will also be unlocked at no charge (even better news!). Great that it has been acknowledged as needing to be improved. 

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit