Level 1: Cadet

What’s the status of @Bigpond.com?

Can anyone tell me what the future is for bigpond.com email addresses? 
Should I be moving across to another email address any time soon? Thanks

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: What’s the status of @Bigpond.com?

Hi @Kiwisue1 

Bigpond.com email address will no longer be offered to new customers and should you change providers they will no longer be available to you after 12 months.

I suggest, now is the time to change to your own domain or obtain a free email account via someone like Gmail/Outlook as an example.

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper
Level 21: Augmented

I totally agree with @Ozmoz . Telstra are showing all the signs of departing the email service market - move now before you have to. While any email server has potential to fail, the Telstra servers seem to be failed, more than they are fully operational - to me that seems to indicate a lack of proper ongoing maintenance and upgrades.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Really sad to read this. Given the number of times the online access to email is not working, I am not surprised. Apart from setting up our own domain or using Gmail, any other suggestions?

P.s. I haven't used Gmail, so does Gmail/Outlook just mean Outlook is the Office platform for Gmail?

Hi @Megsta 

Gmail is a free email service developed by Google. Users can access Gmail on the web and using third-party programs that synchronize email content through POP or IMAP protocols.

So you can use an email client to access Gmail (Such as Outlook for windows), or log in via the web platform, or app.

The good thing about Gmail, and the like, they can follow you no matter what internet provider you are with. so you don't have to email your family friends of a new email address every time you move providers.

Outlook (Used to be called hotmail) is also another free service, but not to be confused with the email client of the same name.

Gmail of course has an advantage if you have an android device. If you ever purchase an app, that licensed app is then always associated with the Gmail address/account. So you can install that licensed app on multiple android devices (such as mobile and tablet) and then be able to access it.

And if you sign up for Google Rewards you can start earning credit to purchase your apps.

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper

Thanks so much Ozmoz. That's really clear and helpful.

Thanks heaps for your advice. It’s appreciated 😊

Thanks for taking the time to help 😊

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit