AL007
Level 2: Rookie

Pairing T-Voice 503 with Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

I have recently moved from ADSL to the NBN. I connect to the NBN via a Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 (Arcadyan version). The Smart Modem supports DECT. I have just bought a Telstra T-Voice 503 wireless phone which I want to pair with the Modem. II have downloaded a copy of the instruction booklet for the T-Voice phone. The instructions are detailed but not quite complete. To pair the phone with a base they say "If the handset is not registered to a gateway, press Register. It begs the question: what is one to press, a key?

I noticed that the next section gives much more explicit instructions as to what to do if the handset is already registered to another gateway. I decided to follow these directions and see what happened. I found the Register option below the Handset Settings menu item. However, when I presses the button on the Smart Modem until it started flashing and selected register, nothing happened.

I had read on this site that many users of the T-Voice handset with the Smart Modem 2 found that they had to reset the modem to pair the two. I switching the modem off, left it for half a minute and switched it back on. When the modem was operating again I tied pairing the handset with the modem once again, but to no avail. I'm at the ned of my tether. What am I doing wrong?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
26 REPLIES 26
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Pairing T-Voice 503 with Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

Have you pressed pair button for at least 5 seconds.

AL007

I presume you mean the button on the back of the Telstra Smart Modem. Yes. I have pressed the button for well over 5 seconds and the button is blinking.

I have just tried to pair again and this time I ave checked the Modem web interface. Nothing is shown as registered to the DECT interface.

What should happen when on presses the button on the T-Voice to when "Register" is selected. I get a beep but nothing else. When I go back to the home screen the word "Searching ..." is showing on this screen but nothing happens. According to the manual "Searching should show on the Registration screen — or at least that's how I interpret what the manual says.

cf4

The searching indicates handset is already registered to a modem not necessarily your modem. You could try resetting handset by removing handset from the power supplying and removing batteries for 15 seconds.

AL007

I removed the batteries and left them out for five minutes but when I put them back in the screen is still showing "Searching ..."

cf4

There might be a faulty DECT transmitter on the modem. I can't suggest anything else. You will have to contact Telstra support.

I will ping @Mkrtich  who has had more experience with DECT handsets might have a solution.

AL007

What is the explanation for the handset still showing "Searching ..." after i removed the batteries. I would have thought that that would cancel any attempt to register the handset.

I note that when I select Handset Name under Handset Settings that the handset responds "Not available". Can one only get the handset a name when the handset is connected to the base (ie, the Modem)?

Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - we have had a few postings with handsets not behaving as they should on registration recently - uncertain of cause. Some troubleshooting activities may cast light on the subject. 

Given that the handset has not registered successfully, would you please verify the firmware status of your modem - 0.10.05r is the current level. As Registration has failed, you shouldn't have any DECT Phone phone showing in the Telephony screen page. It is also possible to initiate the Pairing process there - after we confirm a few things, suggest you use that page to start the Pair instead of using the Pair button on rear of modem in case the modem thinks you are doing a Wi-Fi WPS Pair instead. I also found after registration of two phones, if I tried to do the third one via the external Pair button, all phones were paged instead, so I used the screen page. 

Navigate to the T-V503, Menu/Settings/Select/ down to Handset Version - mine shows 'TelstraCATiq6886' which I assume to be current. If yours is displaying an earlier version, that is OK as it should self upgrade to new version as part of the Registration. If a fresh Registration is unsuccessful, it can not harm then, to Select the 'Handset Setback' option above Handset Version - I have not had cause to use that function, but I assume it will roll back the software in the handset to one version behind, allowing it another chance to link and self upgrade during the next registration attempt. 

The Handset Name can only be edited after successful registration is completed. If you have a wired telephone in the modem's Phone Port, that will be Handset 1 and the T-V503 will become Handset 2 and so forth. If you only have the T-Voice, I would expect  it will be allotted Handset 1. Then you can edit the name through the Handset. 

After successful Registration only, there is a Diagnostic option in the Advanced Settings, but I think it tests the Line, rather than the DECT Link or Handset - on mine it asks if you wish to Test Line1, Line 2, Line 20 and Line 127? I think Line 1 is your home telephone number on the NBN WAN port and Line 2 may be your home number when it is working on the 4G LTE WAN Port. The others are unknown to me - may be virtual test ports.  

Like with the Handset Version Menu, but after registration, in the Advanced Settings/DECT Settings/Base Version Menu - you can verify the status of the Arcadyan Modem firmware - mine shows 0.10.05r, EEPROM V 04.10.B3037, Hardware Ver 01. As in the Handset Version, there is a Base Setback option. I would not activate that unless under direction from a Telstra support person, as I don't know if it just rolls back the DECT software in the  modem's DECT CPU and radio or actually is capable of rolling back full firmware from 0.10.05R to its previous level. Unlikely, but one can never be sure with these matters.

AL007

Mkrtich,

I can confirm the Arcadyan firmware version is 0.10.05r. Where do I find the information on the EEPROM version?

I can confirm that no DECT phone is showing on the Telephony screen page

I have not been able to achieve pairing via the Telephony screen page, although I have tried

I can confirm that the Handset version is Telstra CATiq6886

I can confirm that the wired phone is showing as "Phone 1"

Thanks for confirming that the Handset Name can only be edited after successful registration. I thought that that was probably the case.

I think that those are all your questions that I can answer without achieving pairing. Am I correct in concluding that you have the same combination of handset and modem. If so, then do you have these working without any issues? 

Mkrtich

Yes - I linked the T-Voice 503, T-Voice 502 and a Panasonic KX-TPA60 on the Arcadyan and I have another older Panasonic DECT GAP Cordless Base Station with its own 3 Handsets linked to the analog phone port on my Arcadyan modem. The T-Voice 503 and KX-TPA60 have been rock solid since I linked them in on 7th February 2020 when the modem was at the previous Firmware 0.09.11r; it upgraded itself on the 12th March 2020.

The T-Voice 502 seems to come out of linkage every 2-3 weeks asking me to reconfirm Line Preference settings for calls - main line on NBN, Auto Selection or 4G LTE line, Checks for Updates, doesn't find any and then goes back to its idle screen as Handset Number 3 - it responds very quickly and doesn't display any request for re-registration which normally takes longer, you can't dismiss the input request screen for the Line entry.

The T-Voice 502 is made by Technicolor and not as good a quality robust build or menu friendly handset as the T-Voice 503 which also has a better screen layout and more selectable options. I have not had a chance to acquire the new Telstra Smart Handset - Cordless (TSH-C and no User Guide is published for it) for comparison; it is made by SGW Global who make the T-Voice 503 and other models for Telstra's current CATiq2.0 handsets

The Base Version references the modem's firmware level - I think the EEPROM line is referencing where the DECT CPU keeps its firmware for operation , rather than the modem's CPU, as the modem's EEPROM is not shown when you look at the modem's Info Summary Page. I bought all phones as used, so I think the T-Voice 503 and T Voice 502 may have been a year old when I got it - they auto updated their respective and different firmware on registration. 

I assume the Handset Setback would only work if you first had a successful registration in place, as the Modem may retrieve that from the DECT EEPROM or the Modem's Flash Memory. The handset also has non volatile memory. 

I would suggest you contact Telstra and report a fault with the handset. The only way to prove the modem's DECT radio is functioning is to have a device that can observe DECT frequencies, similar to Wi-Fi signals - I have not been able to find a App that does that. In business DECT Networks, they use a specially made Test Kit to map out their multi-cell area coverage.

Another thing you could do is to attempt to register an old DECT GAP telephone that you may have as spare - Panasonic is good in that regard as it supports Euro DECT vs US DECT - if it doesn't pair, it leads one to suspect the DECT radio in the modem. If you have a spare DECT GAP phone, let me know the model and I should be able to tell you I would expect it to register OK. If you know anyone who has a CATiq2.0 complaint phone and in a position to borrow it for a test, that would also be another way of proving where the problem is.  

You must be over it by now and perhaps contacting Telstra for rectification is easier. They should be able to remotely Diagnose your modem and see if or the handset or both need replacing.

AL007

I don't have another DECT phone myself (and I don't know of anyone who has). However, I understand what you are suggesting as far as a problem solving approach. A problem I have is that I didn't buy the handset from Telstra. This handset is no longer sold by Telstra. I bought it from a firm that seems to deal in remaindered stock. Presumably it came from Telstra when they dropped the model from their range. The relevance of this is that Telstra won't have any warranty obligation, even though their name is very visible on the handset and the phone was new. The modem, on the other hand was supplied by Telstra. So I may be able to have them check the DECT transmitter on that. My thought on the phone was to take it to a Telstra shop and see whether they can pair it to a base in the shop. However, I'm not sure how tech-savvy the staff in Telstra shops are. 

You said in your earlier message that there had been a few recent postings reporting handsets not working as they should. I had seen recent postings about this but there were a lot of postings a year or two ago reporting problems with 503s dropping connection with the Technicolor version of the Smart Modem Gen 2. I think that was finally solved with a firmware update. 

Mkrtich

Yes understood - I am not sure of the Telstra Shop either. The Technicolor did have some issues which like most unexpected happenings may have been addressed by successive firmware updates - they seem to happen bi-monthly indicating an unusual level of patching, but it has become the new norm with open source coded modems, Microsoft do monthly ones. If the stock was sold as new and unused, the seller may have others in store and exchange it for you under a Fail Out of Box condition - was it just the one in his stock and did he have a no returns statement on his ad. Return postage may preclude you sending it back. I paid $25 for mine from a local Gumtree seller on pick up basis.

I thought there was a recent post on another Arcadyan having trouble connecting to a CATiq2.0 phone - will look for it and post it if I can locate it. 

Both Gen 2 modems are leading class modems for what their designs allow. You will see more carrier involvement past the traditional WAN boundary for home networks as customers drive their internal networks to higher and ever increasing applications. Wi-Fi connectivity particularly on legacy and low level devices constantly come up, coverage and Mesh Booster deployment problems, Smart Home IoT device and a plethora of other demanding devices and applications place higher support costs onto Telstra. They are using AI to assist monitoring of Wi-Fi Networks to pro-actively reduce their support costs. CATiq2.0 is also progressing past its current state with newer versions supporting internal Answering Machine, enhanced data services, so it will fall into higher level of importance as well.

The Telstra Air Network is a unique national Wi-Fi network and if used for future infill for 5G micro cells (mm waves) sometime in later part of the next five years, place more importance on the stability of in home networks. Its a complex world and web of many concurrent interactions. Telstra is well placed to address the challenges.  

Mkrtich

Just a Breaking News update - I had a good read of the Telstra Desktop Cordless TSH-D phone which is made by the same manufacturer as the T-Voice 503, SGW Global.

Whilst difficulties with that model further contribute to a disappointing experience for others, I have managed to distill from reading its User Guide many times today that it has similar menu structure as the T-Voice 503 and that 'Handset Setback' and 'Base Setback' is basically a Factory Default of any custom programming you have done on it, not a Setback or Roll Back to the previous respective firmware levels.  

AL007

I tried Selecting Handset Setback but it made no difference.

I found another long thread of postings about DECT and the Arcadian version of the Telstra Smart Modem 2 and there were a lot of complaints in that about unreliable connections.

AL007

I have spent a few hours reading through the postings related to 503/Smart Modem 2 registering problems.

It seems that many of the problems relating to the Technicolor version of the Smart Modem 2. Problems started to appear no later than July 2019. However, it took Telstra until November, 2019 to roll out a solution to the problem  (surely, an unreasonable amount of time in anybody's terms). One person, at least, had their Technicolor model replaced with an Arcadyan model and this immediately resolved the problem, indicating that the T-Voice 503 handset was not the culprit. In fact, I was not able to find any posting indicating an issue with the 503 handset. The symptoms of the problem appear on the 503 handset, but the cause of the problem was the Smart Modem 2.

It was reported that the problem was resolved, not by roll out of new firmware but rollout of a new config file. 

The symptoms that I am experiencing appear to be very similar to those experienced last year by those using the Technicolor version of the Smart Modem 2. However, the one that I am using is the Arcadyan version. This users of this version of the Smart Modem 2 were not reporting T-Voice 503 registration difficulties last year. So, what has changed? If the 503 handset is not responsible for registration difficulties, is the Arcadyan version of the Smart Modem 2 subject to the same issue as the Technicolor version but less frequently, or is this just an isolated failure of some sort? 

Mkrtich

You have done some good research. Technicolor modems have supported CATiq2.0 for maybe the last five years in previous versions of their modems used by Telstra, so that config file fix also surprised me as well. I registered my CATiq2.0 phones on the Arcadyan V0.09.05r in February and the modem updated to V0.10.05r the following month without issue and the T-Voice 503 has not lost a beat. It is not made by Technicolor, but the previous T-Voice 502 is made by Technicolor and it does a pseudo reconfirmation of registration check every 2-3 weeks.

All modems use open source operating systems with millions of lines of code lines to provide functionality and management - there is a lot of concurrent activities going on inside them, so you can never tell where the problem is until customers flood Telstra with formal fault repots. That feedback starts the patching process within each manufacturer. We seem to be getting firmware updates every two months or so with the modems which I would consider to be reasonable given  the complexity of factors involved. Faults don't always show consistency across all modems and people drive them at varying levels of functionality, so it becomes a challenge to pinpoint the issue from the manufacturers perspective. One fix could cause unintended consequences to other elements within the software. 

AL007

On Monday of last week we called Telstra technical support to find out what the problem was. The person to whom we spoke didn't know what DECT was. However, he was quite courteous and said that he would take the matter up with technical staff who were familiar with DECT and promised to call back today and nominated a band of time during which he would call to ensure we were available. Just as I feared — no call back at the promised time. 

AL007

The culprit has finally been identified. It is the Telstra Smart Modem 2. The T-Voice 503 handset works flawlessly.

Was the culprit identified by Telstra? No way!! Was the culprit identified with the help of Telstra? Not a hope!! Both the handset and modem were Telstra products but Telstra was unable to suggest anyway that THEY could identify whether it was the handset or the modem that was faulty. So how was the modem identified was the culprit? A friend has just switched to the NBN with Telstra and has been supplied with an identical Arcadyan modem. I took the handset across and in a few minutes was able to pair it with the modem and show that it functioned correctly. Now to see what Telstra will do about the faulty modem. 

Mkrtich

Glad to read you have an outcome. Handy to be able to test devices on a friend's network.  Cheers

AL007

The new Smart Modem 2 arrived today. As soon as it was connect up and switched on the T-Voice 503 paired with it immediately. So much angst and so much wasted time all because of a failure of quality control on the part of the Smart Modem manufacturer. Most people would have blamed the handset, thrown it away and posted a negative review on EBay. Surely, there ought to be special penalties for manufacturers who don't have adequate quality control processes. 

cf4

I don't think you can blame the manufacture. No matter how thoroughly a device is tested it will not prevent faults developing in an electronic device. It might take years or hours for a fault to occur. The blame lies with Telstra support who should have sent a replacement modem sooner.

AL007

I understand that faults will occur with use but the original Smart Modem 2 was only a few weeks old when the fault was discovered and the fact that it was even a few weeks old was that the handset was purchased after it had been installed. There is no reason to believe that the fault wasn't present when the device was delivered. 

The main problem with Telstra was that they were not able to send a replacement until it had been demonstrated that the Smart Modem was at fault yet they had no arrangement for testing whether there is a DECT fault. Indeed, neither of the technical support staff who attempted to find a solution to my problem knew what DECT was. 

cf4

I have had electronic devices go faulty within a week of purchase.

If Telstra staff were better trained they would have been able to diagnose the problem earlier. They should have known what DECT was.

AL007

There has been a further development to this saga. Some time ago, I contacted Arcadyan themselves to ask whether there was a known issue with the DECT transceiver in the Smart Modem 2. I was told there weren't[t any known issues. When the problem was resolved I took the trouble to inform the person with whom I had spoken at Arcadyan of the resolution of the problem. That person has just responded to me, apologising for the inconvenience i suffered. However, he went on to say that Arcadyan had supplied Telstra with a diagnostic tool that would allow DECT module functionality to be tested in a few minutes. So much for Telstra's claim that they did not know of any way the DECT function could be tested. 

cf4

There are a lot of diagnostics tools on the Gen 2 modem that allow Telstra to interrogate the modem remotely and diagnose faults. These tools do not detect all hardware faults. If the DECT module on the modem had a faulty wireless transmitter depending on what was causingbthe fault the tool might not have picked up the fault.

There is a common problem with the 2.4 GHz WiFi on the Technicolor modem and every time one of these modems is tested remotely nk fault is found.

AL007

The information from Arcadyan was that they supplied Telstra with a diagnostic utility specifically to test DECT module functionality. My understanding is that this is separate from the tools Telstra routinely uses for testing modems remotely. 

Mkrtich

Yes - I agree. It is very unusual for a control chip to actually go faulty in the field - component diagnosis in the field or a remote network centre is not possible.  The chips are made to very high standards of manufacture and levels of quality control, but not so for all the other surrounding surface mounted components that are integral to the function that the chip provides. These can be sourced from a variety of manufacturers at different quality standards and price. Then you have the logic board manufacture itself and the robot processes that insert the components. Compounded by the frailties of Open Source software, stability of operation is actually a great achievement.

This is an example of the number of components that surround a chip and provide front end service to it. - its from a F@ST5355 teardown page I found on the web some time ago. Any component involved in the provision of power or communication to the chip can make the chip appear to 'fail'. There's a sense of it being a bit of a miracle.  

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit