Highlighted
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

T-Voice being discontinued - WT?

Just updating my apaps on My Iphone and the notes for the t-voice app say  that support is being discontinued for this. What the? Cmon, Telstra, it hasn't been out that long, and the documentation/support that you provided on it wasn't that hot to start with. How about Open Sourcing it, if you are going to drop your own support for it.

Old IT/Comms curmudgeon - did tech support for Alcatel System 12 Exchanges in my day - designed a bunch of stuff for Optus.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: T-Voice being discontinued - WT?

Hi MisterQ

It certainly is disappointing. 

However, you can read more about this https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Telstra-Product-Exits/T-Voice-App-Exit/ba-p/702488

Kind Regards

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

And Telstra wonders why it has such a poor reputation for customer service. When choosing Telstra as our NBN provider, the T-Voice app was one of the reasons we went with Telstra. We soon found out that T-Voice was a lame duck, and despite promises that the issue would be fixed (firmware update of Telstra's Gateway modem - did it ever happen?) T-Voice never worked for us. We gave up and forked out the cost of a wireless handset that interfaces with the Gateway modem. It was an extra expense I'd not bargained on. Telstra claims it won't support T-Voice any longer because the iPhone/Android handset OS keep changing, is frankly lame. When Telstra conceived the idea of T-Voice, OS updates was a known reality and should not have been a surprise - and yet apparently it was. Dropping T-Voice seems like corporate cost cutting with no consideration of the impact on its client base. What chance Telstra meeting the cost of the wireless handset I had to buy? I'm not holding my breath.

Highlighted

the T-Voice appears to be still working OK at my rural property.

Certainly be as annoyed as others IF it ceases to work.

Every dawn is a brand new year...
Highlighted
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

@MisterQ unfortunately the uptake and the active user base has been very small to date. Significant capital is required to provide ongoing updates for a declining user base making ongoing investment to the current T-Voice app untenable for us. However, we are exploring new innovative solutions to make it easier for our customers to leverage their fixed lines services on their mobiles.

@Motco I am sorry to hear about your experience with the T-Voice App, that is definitely not the level of service that we aim to provide. The problem with the ever changing mobile OS landscape is that we can’t predict how future Android and iOS changes will impact the app, which makes ongoing support requirements difficult to predict.

@paulparker while we are stopping support from 1 Sep the App should continue to work normally on the current handset and tablet operating system and gateway firmware. Unfortunately, we cannot predict when or what changes handset/tablet may make to the operating systems which potentially may negatively impact aspects of the T-Voice App functionally.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Which is why, in part, why I suggested Open Sourcing the app, rather than discontinuing it.

I have been involved in software engineering for around 30 years, and have seen way to many instances where good (or even mediocre code has been shelved).  At one stage, I was tech support at Alcatel who were building the System 12 Telephone Exchanges - I have also co-authored a book on VOIP (which, of course, is what the T-Voice App is based on).

I can understand the perceived need for proprietary "Ownership" of code or apps, but Telstra seems to routinely take the opposite extreme - we have seen that in this instance, where rather than opening up the specs and/or interface to the embedded ATAs in it's gateway devices, so that a knowledgable user can set up their own SIP client, it tries to lock down and in some cases turn off functionality that the devices have been designed with.

Old IT/Comms curmudgeon - did tech support for Alcatel System 12 Exchanges in my day - designed a bunch of stuff for Optus.

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit