Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Blocked streaming of some stations

Hi, iam a Telstra customer and lately having issues with streaming some radio stations via apps or even via digital radio streaming service, also on Telstra Tv in tunein app.
More exactly, the issue appears when connected through wired Adsl2 and recently wired Nbn. Once I try to stream when connected via wireless telstra access or mobile phone (Telstra), all the stations in all apps and equipments seem to work fine. One of the stations is RTVS R SLOVENSKO...tried also app Simple radio... however if I stream it direct from their website (https://slovensko.rtvs.sk/player/) it works... it does not help for use of the dedicated apps and hardware though.
I cannot get my head around it - anyone could get some solution please.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Blocked streaming of some stations

I would suspect it's the latency on the connection that is causing the problem. Once you hit Germany/Czech Rep/Slovakia at the moment, the latency is getting up to 0.5 to 0.9 seconds. That's enough to kill most applications. I did the tests on both Telstra and TPG, the results were similar on both as the traffic passes through the same routes once it hits Europe.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Thank you Jupiter, that would shift the issue to no ones land, however, if using mobile data or wireless backup, the station(s) stream just right...that's what puzzles me. I know, I can set up mu mobile for thethering data, or simply plug in to AUX, it just is not a very elegant solution how to use a $300 internet radio device.
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

It could be broadband protect that is blocking the radio station. I had the same problem but by using a custom DNS on the device that the app is installed on was able to listen to the radio station.

Used Google DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. You will need to disable IPv6 on the LAN for IPv4 custom DNS to work. To disable LAN IPv6 on the Technicolor gateways go to Advanced > Local Network > LAN and remove tick next to IPv6 state, save settings and then reconnect device. On Arcadyan Modem go to Advanced > Local Network > Local Network and toggle IPv6 to off.

If you have one of the earlier Technicolor modems or Arcadyan Modem can change DNS settings in Advanced Local Network.

Highlighted

Thank you CF4, I was prepared to try your advice out, but by the time I got back from work, the internet radio loaded and played like nothing happened. I tested all options... every app and device is playing the station now. So I guess, thank you Good Fairy, what ever it was... hoping for it will be permanent.
This may mean that his case is closed. Thank you for all replies.

Telstra TV

Telstra TV helps you find and discover more of what you love.

Find out more