Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
IB55
Level 2: Rookie

Re: Disney Plus and Telstra TV

It’s been 12 months since this reply was posted. Is there any update on when Disney+ will be available on Telstra Tv? If it runs on Rocku boxes what’s the delay with Telstra Tv?

BossLady17
Level 1: Cadet

I totally agree it’s about time this was sorted. It’s getting ridiculous!! Where’s the service we are promised....nowhere 

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Disney+ has never been a promised feature on Telstra TV.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
reubot

You should be able to return it under Australian Consumer Law, as you were told it would do something it can't.

WillowR
Support Team
Support Team

Hey @Trentmelb, we’d love to welcome Disney+ on the Telstra TV, but it has not yet been made available to our platform by Disney. We do know the Disney+ app is compatible with Roku devices like the Telstra TV, so we’re working on it and hopefully we are be able to update you soon.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

MiniBlu

This is a word for word repost of the excuse posted over a year ago. What are you actually doing to resolve this issue and when can we expect some real support from you guys?

Dazz068
Level 4: Private Eye

Telstra doesn’t care about their customers so that is why I packed up my Telstra tv box and got rid of it, I went out ant bought a android tv box instead and you can have whatever you want on it, don’t wait around for Telstra because they will never get Disney plus so everyone get rid of the Telstra tv box.

PetarP
Level 3: Gumshoe

Yep.

Have given up Telstra TV. 

Was supporting them after I did all the research between telstra, Roku and Disney. everyone blaming each other. Roku just sells units to telstra, Telstra for working with Disney to get a solution, disney for saying that they havent recieved and requests from telstra.  This has been going for so long that i stopped stressing about it and have been replaceing all my TTV with nVidia Sheilds. Android based and works with everything I've thrown at it.  its costing me get the devises now compaired to getting them from telstra for free, but im now watching disney  stress free.  TTV units are all becoming door stops cause thats all they are good for right now

Tomas1234

nVidia Sheilds are quite expensive.  On the other hand, it does come with the added feature of being a game console.  I initially replaced one of my telstra TVs (I have 4) with a Vodafone TV for only $79. But before I could replace all 4, Vodafone ran out of stock or stopped selling them.  Luckily, Chromecast with Google TV just came out for $99 at JB Hi-Fi.  Replacing all my Telstra TV, one by one.

Dazz068

Good on you, I throw my TTV out in the trash, I bought a android tv box for around $160 and I have installed so much on it including Kayo and Pluto TV from United States using my Express VPN account, I also installed HBO Max thanks to a friend in the US. It came with all the other apps including Disney Plus, Netflix, YouTube, Prime and Stan already installed, you don’t have to go out and buy something to expensive. For the television in the dining room we have only got a Google Chromecast and use the family IPad for Disney Plus and we even got rid of Telstra altogether because they stuff their customers around over Disney Plus.

Dazz068

Pluto TV is free to use by the way.

FoomanAU

This is the same reply word for word given a year ago by Telstra TV. Rubbish, Disney + say Telstra haven’t requested approval to add the App to its box. It’s (Roku) powered and Disney + is available to Ruku users in other countries. Why not Australia and Telstra tv?  Big fail Telstra. 

Marsoups

Guys, honestly Telstra does not now car about the Telstra TV Box. 

They got rid of the T-Box with so much fan fair "You can do anything on this new box". 

At the time, they were right, it had all the main TV apps, it has Youtube, and other miscellaneous channels. Over the years I have noticed one thing - they will come up with a new product and throw lots of money into it, market it. Then they forget about it. It does not get further updates.

A lot of the channels are buggy or missing features. These are not hard things to update and integrate, so long as they put a bit of money into it (which Telstra has no shortage of in the scheme of things). I don't think there's been a software update since around the release date. It is now really a forgotten product.

Do you think we can reach out to the ombudsman about this ? We really need to push Telstra into regularly updating their software and offerings - it is not right to throw money into the release and then forget about it completely. Its' very annoying!

Jupiter

The ombudsman doesn't have any jurisdiction over Telstra TV or similar offerings. The TIO is limited to internet and phone connections.

The features that are in each app are the responsibility of the company that it belongs to (limited by the capability of the Roku firmware), not Telstra. So if you want to see a feature in an app, reach out to the company whose app it is.

The firmware on the Telstra TV units has been updated a few times over the past few years. It doesn't need to be updated very often as the box isn't that complicated. It's more when Telstra adds things (not apps - that doesn't require an update most of the time), mainly around menu changes.

As far as the offerings go, that is largely up to the content providers. The cost of producing an app (and occasionally some unreasonable commercial requests) and licensing issues are the usual reasons why content doesn't make it to the Telstra TV ecosystem.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Marsoups

Honestly that's not acceptable, Jupiter.

Do you think that Channel 10, 7, 9, ABC, SBS etc. approached Telstra to develop the Telstra TV app ? Or did Telstra approach these companies to have the app developed ? It's obviously the latter since if the former was the case, it would have been released with the default offerings of YouTube, Red Bull etc. etc..

Telstra is able to push for development and updates and fixes in the suit of apps that it offers on the product, but they simply don't want to do it.

It's a shame the Ombudsmen can't do anything about this. But it's misdirected to say we need to push the content providers to provide updates or release apps on the platform. The Telstra Box should be continued to be supported by Telstra's marketing teams etc. , or else it will just become a thing of junk, and I would advise not to trust Telstras offerings.

ann1e192

It must be a telstra  issue because I have read other Roku devices can but not Telstra TV.

KODAK

Well, it was to me when I ordered the damn Telstra TV box at a Telstra store. I was told by 2 Telstra employees there “ oh yes Disney Plus works on Telstra TV.”

So I order it accordingly !!!

Jupiter

When did you buy your Telstra TV? If you were told that Disney+ was available on it then you would have been entitled to return it.

klp22

That is word for word the same response posted by Telstra on this thread in Dec 2019!!! How long does it take?

Shelbygt

It's 2021 now and still no Disney app on tbox so we just bought an Amazon fire stick which has Disney, but then we realised Foxtel doesn't have an app on the fire stick so we are using both the fire stick and t box ... Can't win so frustrating

Jr83

The chromcast with google tv has every app. Should you buy it instead of fire stick.

JR
Marsoups

Sportsbet should open up betting odds for whether it'll be done this year.

1:34 chance I'd imagine.

Marsoups

I recommend posting on any Telstra Ad you see on Facebook and to the Facebook support that this product doesn't have ten all access or Disney Plus.

Public pressure will eventually help to push them to make a move!

Shelbygt

My husband also bought the Google tv you can not get a Foxtel app on it .

Jupiter

You need to cast it from a mobile device. The two devices need to be on the same wifi network.

la-la-lalala

No one likes it when a corporation lies to people. This is an extremely easy thing to verify too.

la-la-lalala

Lies, lies and more lies.

Shelbygt

We don't want to be casting anything we have kids and need to have a remote

Tomas1234

Try installing foxtel app on your android mobile using the same google account you use for your google tv. Once installed onto your android mobile, logon to your google tv, go to the apps menu in the top bar, scroll down to the the "Apps from my other devices" and you may just see your foxtel app there, which you can then install onto the google tv.

Wanglese
Level 22: Superhuman

@Shelbygt 

Get a Chromecast +TV.  It's $100.00 and it has a remote. 

It doesn't do live TV and pause, it doesn't do Foxtel, but it does almost everything else.

I'm using it more and more now, because it gets more apps each week. 

I switch to the TelstraTV for things I absolutely cannot get on the Chromecast, which is less and less.

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

Shelbygt

We have a Google Chromecast tv and not having Foxtel available on it is a big problem as this means we still have to have the tbox hooked up and that means the kids can still access YouTube because on the tbox you can't lock apps and stop kids from just downloading YouTube after you delete it (daughter has autism so no amount of punishment etc can stop her)

We actually bought a giant LG tv for the lounge room (87inch)  and the best part about it is that you can get ALL apps  Inc DISNEY and Foxtel but better yet is that you choose to pin lock any app ... So we can still have YouTube downloaded for us to use but the kids can't access it ... Unfortunately we can not afford to buy a tv like this to replace every tv on our property .. so I have a firestick on kids TV's as you can pin protect downloads so they can't download YouTube ... The Google tv is not suitable for kids TV's yet as they haven't rolled out the 'kids profile' option yet .

It's very strange that Google tv doesnt have a Foxtel app yet ... I think people would very quickly replace tbox's with Google if their was a Foxtel app 

JoJoH
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Shelbygt, have you has a look at our Telstra TV? as it can do Foxtel on there as well as other apps. It also has parental controls on it. Here's the link.   https://tel.st/38uhl

- Joanne

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Obes

Shame it doesn't do Disney

Jr83

Hello Joanne.

We try find a solution to add the disney plus app to the telstra tv in this topic last 18 months. Do you have any update on? 

@JoJoH wrote:

Hi Shelbygt, have you has a look at our Telstra TV? as it can do Foxtel on there as well as other apps. It also has parental controls on it. Here's the link.   https://tel.st/38uhl

- Joanne

JR
stuartCKP

@telstra Where is this at ? Surely after 16 months there is an update here?

jayonaise
Support Team
Support Team

At this time there are still no dates confirmed of when the Disney+ app will be licensed for release on Telstra TV.

durdsy

Any update on this yet?

We have 2 Telstra TV’s and getting sick of using the ChromeCast instead just for Disney+

Toriee
Support Team
Support Team

Hey @durdsy,

We’d love to welcome Disney+ on TTV, but it hasn't yet been made available to our platform by Disney. We do know the Disney+ app is compatible with Roku devices like the Telstra TV, so we’re working on it and hopefully we are able to update you soon. 

Iain4

I am sorry Toriee, but this is a rubbish response.  It is the same response that has been provided for well over 12 months.  Disney+ works on Roku boxes, and the Telstra TV is basically a Roku box.  As such, just what has Telstra been doing to sort out whatever "issues" exist that prevents Disney+ from being provided on the Telstra TV?  I suspect the answer is nothing, as it is probably just a licencing agreement issue and Telstra isn't satisfied with the terms. In reality Telstra, I am sure we would all be happier if Telstra just stated that Disney+ will not be supported on the Telstra TV box and leave it at that, instead of repeating this rubbish "...it hasn't yet been made available to our platform by Disney. We do know the Disney+ app is compatible with Roku devices like the Telstra TV, so we’re working on it and hopefully we are able to update you soon." You must have very little respect for your customers to roll out this same excuse for over 12 months!  However, in the end, I no longer care as I have moved to Google's Chromecast TV which works well and has all the apps I need!! 

lint2015

Perhaps the better solution is for Telstra to allow Telstra TV to access the regular Roku App Store rather than restrict it to the paltry selection that Telstra curates. That would instantly solve the Disney+ situation.

The Roku has since also added Apple TV+ and AirPlay 2, neither of which seem to be coming to Telstra TV anytime soon.

Jupiter

@lint2015 that still wouldn't necessarily work as Disney would still need to authorise the app for the Australian market.

PetarP

@Jupiter.  Thats BS.  Disney has auth the app's use in Australia.  Other Platforms currently use the app.  I know, as I currently watch Disney+ on a Nvidia Shield.  Its Telstra not getting anything from allow the app on thier TTV devices. See, you create an account with Disney directly to access the contents and not via Telstra.  Telstra must want a piece of the pie.  Hence why no app and why people are ditching their TTV's and getting other devices that support the app. 

Jupiter

I will leave you with this to ponder. Why is it not available on Fetch? It is for the same reason why it isn't available on Telstra TV. And it's not because the carriers want something.

Jr83

Sure thing. Like the australian news corporates don't want anything from google. Smiley Very Happy

JR
PetarP

@Jupiter. the main reason that Fetch also does not have Disney is that PayTV services of bothTelstra and Optus had Disney content available before Disney decided to make a streaming platform. 

A Foxtel spokesperson confirmed that the move had been anticipated.

"As anticipated, following the launch of Disney+ and consistent with our confirmation last year that Disney content would progressively come off Foxtel commencing with Movies in November 2019, the Disney Channel and Disney Junior will also be leaving Foxtel at the end of February,"

So again. its the big wigs that want a piece of the pie.  Forget about their loyal customers.

Maybe its getting even with Disney for not continuing with Foxtel.  If Foxtel cant have it then i don't want it on my TTV.  this then may lead to the Disney has not made this available to us BS we have been getting.

Shelbygt

That's interesting... Telstra is definitely shooting themselves in the foot as consumers are leaving ttv for other devices ... Thankfully our new LG smart tv gets ALL apps including Disney and Foxtel so the ttv has gone in the draw 

Jr83

It's not make sense that people still paying for foxtel. You can cover everything with streaming media for less then the half price. 

JR

Telstra TV

Telstra TV helps you find and discover more of what you love.

Find out more