CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman

Got my Telstra TV - Impressions

YAY!,  I got my Telstra TV box yesterday  (separate story in "Bundles)

So it took me all of about 5 minutes to set it up.

LOL - no power button, but it doesn't need one since it uses less power than a night light when in sleep mode.

I'm somewhat impressed and a little dissapointed.

Impressed:  Easy, and mostly content rich.  Vimeo and Youtube are worth it, as well as in my case, Presto, Netflix and Bigpond Movies. 

It's become my preferred box for streaming content, replacing my Sony Blu-Ray, but not the T-Box, which I still love, it has some Foxtel and it's still my media player for networked media.

The Roku box does indeed see Serviio on one of the windows 10 PC's, the Noontec NAS, and Plex on the Apple (for iTUnes U National Geographic), but it doesn't see Vuze, and Vuze DOES have premium content such as TED and NASA, both of which I subcribe to.  So since Vuze is a DLNA server, one wonders how they are doing it, because I can see it via the T-Box.

Turning off the annoying "boop-boop" selection should have been more obvious, but it didn't take me long to find it.

It's another remote to lose or argue over.Smiley LOL

The dissapointment - the lock-down. Because of the stupid laws and monopolies brought about by Geoblocking, it's dumbed down.  It's only protecting companies that don't actually provide any value add. Most of us would subscribe to Amazon Prime of HBO direct or heck, Netflix overseas if given the chance.  It's because vested interest have things locked down, and yes, I'm talking about Foxtel. Smiley Mad

I think Geoblocking is an artificail nonsense, and it's on it's last legs.  Telstra will still get my money for the bandwidth I consume if I stream directly from O/S.

Oh, BTW, Telstra,  I WANT THE NASA CHANNEL.  It's going to cost you NOTHING to get the app for the Roku, and Foxtel don't have rights to it, and they won't hve any objections......

I still have my T-Boxes, and never had any issues with them, so they will be around for a long time. When they die, I will miss them, and may just get an original Roku or whatever supplants that.

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Got my Telstra TV - Impressions

Thanks for the review, my impressions without using the device are similar, it could have so much potential but it is far too locked down to be of any use to me.

Telstra TV

Telstra TV helps you find and discover more of what you love.

Find out more