Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

How do I watch WMV files on Telstra TV

Answered

Hi, the information at https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/entertainment/telstra-tv/how-to-watch-a-video-or-listen-... states that I can watch MKV, MP4, MOV AND WMV files on my Telstra TV.
The Supported Files info in the Roku Media Player state that MKV, MOV and MP4 are supported. There isn't any mention of WMV.
So is the Telstra info wrong? Can someone confirm my suspicions? 
Or is there some other way to play WMV files on the Telstra TV?
Note: my software is up-to-date.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: How do I watch WMV files on Telstra TV

@PeJoKa wrote:

Hi, the information at https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/entertainment/telstra-tv/how-to-watch-a-video-or-listen-... states that I can watch MKV, MP4, MOV AND WMV files on my Telstra TV.
The Supported Files info in the Roku Media Player state that MKV, MOV and MP4 are supported. There isn't any mention of WMV.

@PeJoKa Roku needs to add KAYO app support. It has been a complaint for many years over Roku's lack of video file format support.

But if you install the app Plex and run a media server that will solve your problem.  Many NAS support media servers, the better of the NAS the more they can do.

Although the easiest way is to run a Plex server on a PC/MAC.

Then, of course, access it via your TTV and the Plex app.

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

I can confirm that the Telstra TV 2 does not support WMV files, it doesn't even recognise them as video files.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

@PeJoKa wrote:

@PeJoKa Roku needs to add KAYO app support. It has been a complaint for many years over Roku's lack of video file format support.

But if you install the app Plex and run a media server that will solve your problem.  Many NAS support media servers, the better of the NAS the more they can do.

Although the easiest way is to run a Plex server on a PC/MAC.

Then, of course, access it via your TTV and the Plex app.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks CF4

Thanks OzMoz. Based upon the statement in the Telstra info, I was actually hopeful that there may have been a direct modification available for the Telstra TV. Not to be. Maybe in a future life.

Highlighted

@PeJoKa wrote:

Thanks OzMoz. Based upon the statement in the Telstra info, I was actually hopeful that there may have been a direct modification available for the Telstra TV. Not to be. Maybe in a future life.

@PeJoKa I can't remember the reason why it's not available, it may have had something to do with licensing requirements?

But I always like backups in all things. So I have an android device (Vodafone-TV) so I can basically load just about any app on that if needed. I have KAYO mainly to take care of the different video formats. As even then, many have different compression methods that can cause an issue with players.

Telstra TV

Telstra TV helps you find and discover more of what you love.

Find out more