Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

How good is WiFi on Telstra TV

Answered

I know some smart TV owners have had problems with WiFi connection to their ADSL routers when they are several rooms away from the TV.

How good is the Telstra TV box in connecting using WiFi. I would hate to commit to Telstra TV then find the WiFi didn't work well enough to maintain streaming, and have to find a cable connection option at added $$$s.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: How good is WiFi on Telstra TV

Thanks Sammy, that's a very useful response. Smiley Happy

So it looks like the buffering in the box is sufficient to allow for any intermittent problems with WiFi.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Hello, Bravo_Charlie,

Thank you for your question.

@Bravo_Charlie wrote:

"How good is the Telstra TV box in connecting using WiFi. I would hate to commit to Telstra TV then find the WiFi didn't work well enough to maintain streaming, and have to find a cable connection option at added $$$s."

Pretending to be a Telstra salesperson★ It's totally fantastic!!! You can't get any better. Streaming is so seamless and fluid that you'll think you're watching a DVD. You won't be disappointed!

Kind regards,

Hit the Kudos button if you have found my contribution helpful and please mark Accepted Solutions where applicable.

Other than being a customer, I have no affiliation with Telstra Corporation Limited, and all opinions expressed are solely my own which may not necessarily be mirrored or endorsed by the company.
Highlighted

I'm sceptical about the authenticity of the above post from Tezz. Not sure if he's trying to be tongue in cheek, misleading, or just a tool Smiley Wink

Have not got my Telstra TV yet, hopefully a genuine user will get back with  some feedback, but just from experience, for best results with streaming ethernet is best. Wifi can be good or flakey, it's all in the environment around it. 

Cheers!

Highlighted

I'd go with option 3. Smiley LOL

Honestly, I wouldn't have a clue as I don't have Telstra TV myself, with no desire to get it either because I can't stand television in general. LOL! I can see what you're saying though, streaming via Wi-Fi can be great in ideal conditions, but some people do experience 'choppy' playback at times.

It's great that you're doing your homework prior to committing.

Kind regards,

Hit the Kudos button if you have found my contribution helpful and please mark Accepted Solutions where applicable.

Other than being a customer, I have no affiliation with Telstra Corporation Limited, and all opinions expressed are solely my own which may not necessarily be mirrored or endorsed by the company.
Highlighted

Hmmm! I appreciate your taking time to respond, even if your responses Tezz are more amusing than helpful.

I understand that WiFi operation will be more or less successful depending on local conditions like distance and intervening material (walls). My laptop connects on WiFi with my router very well throughout my house. However, this is no guarantee that the Telstra TV box will work similarly. I understand that the quality of WiFi components in the remote device is another variable. I have a friend who bought a Samsung smart TV about 2 years back and it's WiFi was hopeless compared to his laptop WiFi operation. He eventually installed Ethernet power line adapters to provide cable connection between his TV and router. His conclusion was that the TV's WiFi componentry was 'crap'. Hopefully Samsung have improved their WiFi since then.

Highlighted
Level 4: Private Eye

Hi @Bravo_Charlie

Ive got my Telstra TV device connected via WiFi, there is a small difference in the streaming i've noticed from having it hard wired. to give you an idea, when I select a netflix or presto movie/show, hard wired loadds pretty much instantly, with the WiFi it 'loads' for approx 10-15 seconds, then runs seamlessly for the duration of the show.

The only lag happens at the start while it buffers, once it starts playing, I have not had any issues with it freezing, buffering or going pixelating. I've kept mine running on WiFI as i'm not fussed about the under 20 second buffer time pre start of the show.

Cheers.

fyi, my ADSL connection (in Flagstaff hill SA) gives me approx 1.8-2.2 MBPS on a good day and i haven't had any issues with it on WiFi or hard wired.

Samuel Tumes
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Thanks Sammy, that's a very useful response. Smiley Happy

So it looks like the buffering in the box is sufficient to allow for any intermittent problems with WiFi.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

I have just installed the Telstra TV using WiFi & kept losing connection.  I'll be having to try the cable . So cannot agree with Sammy.

Highlighted

yep spot on mate. all the best, and enjoy your Telstra TV

Samuel Tumes

My experience has been much the same as Sammy83 on WiFi. Haven't tried Ethernet and probably won't.

As far as the WiFi is concerned it seems to have pretty good reach. I started using inside the house with only 10 metres distance and one stud wall to go through - the strength was measured as excellent. I have been using it this morning in my colourbond shed approx 30 metres from my wifi modem. This is going from a brick house to a metal shed with doors closed. No problems streaming at all. The strength measured as fair, but had no issues whatsoever. Much better than my tablet.

Highlighted

hey @LGG1

that is no good. I found the best way to check is if your mobile or tablet gets good enough WiFi connection to stream in the same spot as the T-TV device you should be sweet, but not all fixes work for everyone.

If running cables isn't an option perhaps an EOP device like Rukus or similar could work or a WiFi Signal booster.

Good luck mate, I hope you find a simple and easy resolution without to much or any extra expense or having to run crazy cables everywhere.

Samuel Tumes

Telstra TV

Telstra TV helps you find and discover more of what you love.

Find out more