If you don't believe me look at this photo

Plex-TelstraTV

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie
Accepted Solution

Re: HowTo: Plex for TelstraTV

If you consistently experience a movie stopping minutes before the end, this can be caused by the Plex client for Roku being out of date compared with your server transcoding.  This is because the client shown in many of the instructions are 2.5.2 and this has some issues with Plex transcoding.

The most current Plex "Classic" client can be compiled from the Plex github at the URL.

https://github.com/plexinc/roku-client-public

But if you don't feel like downloading it and compiling it yourself, then you can always just download the ZIP from this URL

Plex 3.1.5 ZIP

BTW: Persist with the keystrokes in the video to get into developer mode.  It took multiple attempts for me and it eventually worked.  You can only upload 1 application but for many of us, Plex is all we need Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Awesome! Hope they let this post remain here Smiley Wink

Saw the same post on Whirlpool last night. 

Did you end up using the updated Plex link from the description of the YouTube video? It's build is as recent as August, the other one is from 2012.

Cheers!

Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Not sure If they will let the post remain here or not, just transposed the article from Whirlpool for visibility.

I don't have a TelstraTV but I would use the latest version as the 2012 one might not work as well.
Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman

Interesting.  I would hope that Telstra leave it and not lock it down too much.

THye can always use a "Factory reset" overrode on things, so that if something fails, and you have modded the box, they could tell people that only factory firmware is supported.

They have to let the community be capable of adding value.

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

Highlighted
Level 20: Director

@Wanglese wrote:

They have to let the community be capable of adding value.

Definately, especially for those buying outright.

Cheers!

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

If you consistently experience a movie stopping minutes before the end, this can be caused by the Plex client for Roku being out of date compared with your server transcoding.  This is because the client shown in many of the instructions are 2.5.2 and this has some issues with Plex transcoding.

The most current Plex "Classic" client can be compiled from the Plex github at the URL.

https://github.com/plexinc/roku-client-public

But if you don't feel like downloading it and compiling it yourself, then you can always just download the ZIP from this URL

Plex 3.1.5 ZIP

BTW: Persist with the keystrokes in the video to get into developer mode.  It took multiple attempts for me and it eventually worked.  You can only upload 1 application but for many of us, Plex is all we need Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Hi, I'm sort of dumb, but I got into the box and installed plex, just wondering if it has to stay in Developer mode, or after the install do I go back to "normal" ??, thanks in advance, Pete.

Highlighted

Has to stay in developer mode, also you can only install one developer app
Highlighted

i got plex installed but am having difficulty getting anything to play through the channels ... advice would be great

Highlighted

I don't believe channels are supported on this version, if Telstra ever allows the official one it might work
Highlighted

Legend mate. The stock media player us crap, happily plexing away now!
Highlighted

Was so happy to find this! Tip for everyone, to make sure you are downloading/installing the latest version of Plex, pull the zip file down from official Plex Github Repo (no compiling required, the Plex devs have done it for you)

https://github.com/plexinc/roku-client-public/releases

You only need to download the zip file (Currently PlexClassic.v3.1.6.zip as of this post)

Thanks again for putting this up!

Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Please note updating too the nerwest plex media server breaks the sideloaded app on Telstra TV, it no longer could load my content.

Reverting to an older version of plex media server i still had downloaded fixed my issue

Nevermind i just noticed the post above, hope to upgraded app fixes my roku

Highlighted

I have put both versions on my Telstra tv - I think I will have to roll back the server update - I was using the rarfix version before. It's a pain as it was working so well before. I wish Telstra would just release an official version. Weird that the roku app shows the content from the plex server.
Highlighted

Plex Server now requires clients to be authenitcated.

You maybe able to bypass this by going into the Plex Server settings

Server sub menu > Network

List of IP addresses and networks that are allowed without auth

Add the IP of the Telstra TV there.

The reason the Roku media app works is that is receiving media via DLNA where is the Plex app would connect directly to Plex.

Highlighted

Thanks GlennL I just found an article saying that as well.

https://tweakers.net/downloads/38385/plex-media-server-113.html

I have added the IP of the Telstra TV to the Settings/Server/Network/Advanced Options/List IPs and it is now working again Smiley Happy  Hopefully the IP doesnt change too often!

Highlighted

Hi GiennL, where do I find the ip address for the telstra tv please?

Highlighted

@4ngi3 It should be listed in the following menu on your Telstra TV settings > network
Highlighted

Thanks! I've just done this and its all working!
Highlighted

Hi All, just wondering is it possible to extract the Foxtel Play app from Telstra TV to use on Android TV IE Nexus Player/Nvidia Shield Console?
Highlighted

No. Telstra TV doesn't run android
Highlighted

Thankyou so much for the video however I have a problem my movies play in DirectPlay but I have no audio, any idea how to fix it. TIA

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi mel369, 

DirectPlay is not a service we support. However if you would like assistance you can use our Telstra Platinum service. 

You can get in touch with our Telstra Platinum IT Support on 132200 and say "Telstra Platinum"

What is Telstra Platinum?  - https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/platinum

Regards - 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra TV

Telstra TV helps you find and discover more of what you love.

Find out more