clinto73
Level 1: Cadet

New Telstra TV cannot pick up WiFi

Hi All

My new telstra TV is not picking up Wi Fi.

All other devices can pick up the signal. 

It did get a small signal strength but not enough to connect. 

I did read somewhere you can change the frequency on the Telstra Tv but i cannot access the settings 

as with the Telstra TV you have to connect to a network before you can do anything further.

Cheers Clint

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: New Telstra TV cannot pick up WiFi

The problem is likely to be because the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi band on your modem has failed. What modem do you have (make/model is on a label on the bottom), then there might be some steps to take to prove the problem.

If the TTV is close enough, you can use an ethernet cable to connect to the modem..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
clinto73

Hi Stevo

And thanks for your reply

it's a Telstra smart modem Gen 2 with Voice Back up

No it's probably not feasible to use an ethernet cable through the kitchen dining room..

Can you advise how i can fix the modem (it's a new modem by the way )

Cheers

Clint

SteveW_52

There are two models of the Smart Modem 2 - DJA0231 by Technicolour, LH1000 by Arcadyan.. they have some slight variances in the GUI (User Interface) and some other areas..

It is unlikely that you can fix the modem, but you can ptove the Wi-Fi has failed..

The easiest way to check if the bands are both operating, is to use a Wi-Fi analyser app on a mobile device - there should be two instances of the Wi-Fi name - one in the 2.4 GHz band and one in the 5GHz band.

Without using a Wi-Fi analyser, it is a little more complicated..

You log in to the modem from a connected PC/Laptop using a browser using address 192.168.0.1

From the Home page you use the username = admin  and password = Telstra to sign in to the management interface..

On the Wi-Fi page, look for a setting named "Bandsteering" and disable/uncheck it..  then save the setting.

What this does is seperate the two bands (which were previously lumped together under the single Wi-Fi name). This gives a 2.4GHz network with the original Wi-Fi name you used before and a 5 GHz network with -5G on the end of the Wi-Fi name.

All previous connected devices will require reconnecting - to the 'new' -5G Wi-Fi name. When you do that, have a look in the list of available networks for the short name (2.4GHz) and the longer -5G name. If you can only see the -5G networks, then the 2.4GHz band has failed and the modem needs to be replaced - which is a disappointment if it is fresh out of the box, but it isn't working properly and unfortunately you will need to contact Telstra on 132200 or via the My Telstra app - Get Help, Chat icon to organise a replacement to be sent out.

The DJA 0231 variant of the modem seems a bit more susceptible to this particular issue sadly - but I haven't experienced one failed like that straight out of the box.

Have you set up the TTV previously or do you still nee to do that? I have adopted the approach of doing TTV setup over a cable rather than Wi-Fi..  then once operating I change the TTV to Wi-Fi.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

You could try changing the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi channell on the modem. Use channels 1 - 11. To change channels on the modem open a web browser on a device connected to modem and go to http://192.168.0.1, password is Telstra. Go to Wi-Fi, on the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi band select a channel between 1 and 11 and save settings.

clinto73

Hi cf4 and Steve W

I tried these things and to no go so far

The modem says it's working normally still and all other devices are OK

The Telstra TV earlier i got on and had nearly completed the full set up software etc

then it just dropped out and haven't had any success connecting since...

Frustrating...

Cheers Clint

cf4

You could try changing the DNS to a non Telstra DNS in the modem. (Advanced > Local Network). Select a DNS from drop down list and save settings. Change both the IPv4 and IPv6 DNS.

You could also try factory reseting Telstra TV. The reset button is behind a small hole on base of Telstra TV. Press for at least 10 seconds.

SteveW_52

So you could see both Wi-Fi bands (two wi-fi names one with -5G on the end) after disabling Band Steering, when connecting devices? 

The 'other devices' that are working, might be on the 5GHz band, but the TTV will only use the 2.4GHz band.

Use an ethernet cable temporarily, to complete the setup of the TTV.

You may have to reset the TTV (there is a reset button underneath, press and hold for 10 to 15 seconds)..

The modem will indicate it is working OK, but it cannot measure the radiated Wi-Fi signal, so the modem isn't an accurate way to test that it is working correctly..

Stevo 52
Ozmoz

Hi @clinto73 

Footnote: I dont work for Telstra, I just try to help out fellow Telstra customers.
Ozmoz

@clinto73 wrote:

No it's probably not feasible to use an ethernet cable through the kitchen dining room..

Hi @clinto73 

You could use one of those Ethernet over power adapters.

Footnote: I dont work for Telstra, I just try to help out fellow Telstra customers.
ACroker
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Clinto. What Ozmoz suggested is a good idea as I've used those myself personally and they work quite well. But we'd like you to know that we're here if you're needing help with this. It would be worth getting in touch with our support team about this if it's still unable to connect over Wifi. Please keep us in the loop and we'll be happy to provide whatever information we can.

- Ash

SteveW_52

The suggestion to use an Ethernet over Power link is a good one, but you need to use a high quality device with good bandwidth...  

but..  if the modem Wi-Fi has failed as I suspect, then the use of ethernet to connect the TTV will only mask that real issue. if that has happened then the only solution is a replacement modem..

Stevo 52
TommyR
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Clinto.Just checking into see how you went or if you need a further hand?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

clinto73

Hey guys 

And thanks for your replies.

I ended up getting a home tech guy around who was really good. He found quite by accident, 

that my new Telstra Smart Modem (Gen 2 with Voice Backup) had a fault in that it wasn't delivering

the 2.4Ghz band signal. So the Telstra TV in fact was fine. Luckily i had an old modem Model DJA0230

which has been a really good back up modem now on a few occasions. I'm tempted to leave it now on this modem but will take the 'new' one back as should be under warranty.

Cheers

Clint

SteveW_52

That was my first suggestion to you actually, but you said you tried the tests suggested by myself and others without success and it was OK?

Definitely report the modem as faulty to Telstra and they should send you a replacement...

Stevo 52

Telstra TV

Telstra TV helps you find and discover more of what you love.

Find out more