RobertW1
Level 3: Gumshoe

Problems accessing Telstra Smart Modem DNLA from TTV

Answered

Hi, I can't access the DLNA files I have on my Telstra Smart Modem from the TTV. It was previously working, but for some unknown reason it has stopped working despite me not touching anything.

I can access the files from other media readers, but not the TTV.

I have reset it, uninstalled the media player app and reinstalled it, but it still doesn't work.

Any suggestions to get it working again.

Thanks

Robert

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RobertW1
Accepted Solution

Re: Problems accessing Telstra Smart Modem DNLA from TTV

Good news the issue has cleared. I had to reset the Smart Modem again yesterday to fix a known issue interworking with my burglar alarm and push notifications.

Since the issue started I have reset the modem a few times without any luck. This time it worked.

Thanks to all those who have offered their thoughts and suggestions.

Regards

Robert

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
21 REPLIES 21
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Which model of the Telstra Smart Modem do you have, and are you aware if it has had the firmware updated in the period since you started having trouble?

Is you TTV connected by Wi-Fi to the modem or ethernet cable? If it is on Wi-Fi are you able to try an ethernet cable to help troubleshoot the cause? - it could be that the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi band on the modem has failed.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
RobertW1

The TTV is connected via ethernet. It is a TTV ver 3 and the Telstra Smart Modem gen 2 is a Arcadyan LH 1000 version. I'm not aware of any software updates to either box.

Regards

Robert

SteveW_52

So, in that case, try using Wi-Fi to the modem - just to help isolate the issue a bit..  personally I prefer copper for local streaming like TTV or Foxtel etc. Also, have you tried power cycling the TTV or any of the resets mentioned here - Telstra TV Resets 

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
RobertW1

I have reset everything and re-installed the app on the TTV. It's not an Ethernet issue as I can stream everthing I want from the Internet and the app works fine when I plug a stick into the TTV to watch something.

Regards

Robert

RobertW1

I have reset everything and re-installed the app on the TTV. It's not an Ethernet issue as I can stream everything I want from the Internet and the app works fine when I plug a stick into the TTV to watch something.

Regards

Robert

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

But have you plugged the TTV into the modem via ethernet cable so that we can see if the problem with the DLNA server on the Telstra Smart Modem is limited to the WiFi connection or not? The WiFi is technically a different connection to the LAN connection and they can exhibit different behaviours.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
SteveW_52

@Jupiter  they did state the TTV was connected by ethernet...

Stevo 52
SteveW_52

Do you know how to access the Modem GUI? at 192.168.0.1 (default) the current firmware info should show on the first screen...  can you advise what that is please?

Stevo 52
RobertW1

I don't use wifi, just Enternet.

Regards

cf4

Some media servers use SMB to access media files instead of DLNA. Have you checked that DLNA is enabled in the modem. To check if DLNA is enabled in modem open a web browser on a device connected to modem, go to http://192.168.0.1 (default password is Telstra), go to "Media Access" and check that DLNA is ticked.

RobertW1

0.15.16r

RobertW1

DNLA is turned on. I can access the files from the smart modem on my mobile phone and tablet, so I don't think the issue is with the smart modem.

Regards

Robert

SteveW_52

I am not aware of any DLNA issues with that firmware..

If you can access the same files from other devices, are those devices connected by ethernet also? or Wi-Fi?

Did you try connecting the TTV on Wi-Fi just to see if that worked?

Stevo 52
RobertW1

The mobile phone and tablet are on wifi.

The TTV can also see my DNLA from my PVR device, which is on ethernet.

Regards

SteveW_52

When the TTV is connected to the modem and you try to access the DLNA files, does the TTV device show up as connected in the Content | DLNA tab?

Stevo 52
RobertW1

When you start up the media app in the TTV the DNLA from the smart modem doesn't even show up. so can't connect.

Regards

Robert

SteveW_52

And that is the same on Ethernet and Wi-Fi?

While it might not appear to be the modem, it is an obscure fault..  so resetting the modem, fully resetting the TTV are all things that need to be tried in case there is corruption somewhere that is causing the problem..

Are there any other setting in the modem that have been chances..  uPNP, port fowards, firewall, blacklists  etc?  it is a case of try all sorts of things, even those that don't seem to be related...  try  them to disount them as a cause..  some of them, like resets might need a bit of time to get setup again but need to be done..

Nothing sticks out in your memory as happening about the time that DLNA stopped working?

Stevo 52
RobertW1

Same on Ethernet and wifi

RobertW1

Nothing sticks out at the time it started happening. No blacklists. I do have Samba turned on.

Regards

Robert

cf4

What apps are you using on the tablet and smart phone to access the media files?

RobertW1
Accepted Solution

Good news the issue has cleared. I had to reset the Smart Modem again yesterday to fix a known issue interworking with my burglar alarm and push notifications.

Since the issue started I have reset the modem a few times without any luck. This time it worked.

Thanks to all those who have offered their thoughts and suggestions.

Regards

Robert

View solution in original post

Telstra TV

Telstra TV helps you find and discover more of what you love.

Find out more