RD1804
Level 2: Rookie

T-Box connection to internet

We like to use our T-Box to record free to air TV but it won't connect to the internet. It connects to the modem but it won't show the internet connection. We have looked at the CrowdSupport answers and tried everything we found. Help appreciated.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: T-Box connection to internet

Online services for the T-Box were removed in early 2018.

What were you needing the internet connection for?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
RD1804

To record free to air TV shows.

Jupiter

The way I thought the EPG works now is that it gets the information from the FTA TV broadcast signals (as per T-Box Exit - Telstra CrowdSupport - 727023). It shouldn't need the internet connection in order to work.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
RD1804

We can view free to air but when we try to record it says it needs an internet connection.

Jupiter

Odd. I wouldn't have thought that it should need the connection.

Have you tried unplugging the T-Box from the power, then rebooting the modem, then wait 5 minutes until the modem is fully up and running, then power up the T-Box again?

RD1804

We have tried this Jupiter. Unfortunately it didn't work. We could try it again I guess. It is so lovely of you to try and help us.

Jupiter

It's quite an old device, and mine ended up in eWaste a few years ago when the Hard Drive failed and it wasn't worth the hassle to fix it, which makes troubleshooting rather difficult as I can't try things out to see what might work.

You might want to try going into the network settings in the T-Box and set them manually. Note down the current settings and then reenter them, except for the DNS settings. For those, try 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google's DNS servers).

RD1804

We had a look at the network settings in the T-Box and there were no current settings. We did enter the DNS settings you mentioned and tried to connect the internet but it still won't work. Looks like it is time to find another alternative for recording TV shows. Thank you once again for your assistance.

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

It's been a while since I upgraded from the T-Box - probably 8 to 10 years at least... mine also suffered a hard disk failure as well, like @Jupiter .

Have you tried using a different (new preferably) ethernet cable between the T-Box and the modem to see if that helps? 

I don't recall if Wi-Fi was available but I am sure I saw a module in there - however I prefer to use cable when it is available.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
SteveW_52

The fact that you had no IP settings when you checked, would indicate that the device isn't properly connected to the modem..  try a different cable as I said previously and try different ports.

Do you have other devices connected to the modem by ethernet cable, that are working OK?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Jupiter

One thought I did just have. The T-Box has a button battery in it that allowed it to hold its' settings. If that has died, then the settings may not be holding in memory when the power fails.

Luckily that is one of the easy components to replace. Unplug the device and unscrew the case. The button battery is sitting right on top of the motherboard. Replace it and see if that makes a difference. If not, then the network interface on the motherboard may have developed a fault, which would be a terminal fault.

Ozmoz

Hi @RD1804 

As a reminder what happened when the T-Box was discontinued.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/announcements/t-box-exit/ba-p/727023 

And it does sound like it could be the battery with what @Jupiter mentioned.

Footnote: I dont work for Telstra, I just try to help out fellow Telstra customers.

Telstra TV

Telstra TV helps you find and discover more of what you love.

Find out more